Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:46 PM

635 posts, read 1,510,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
What are you talking about? I didn't say anything in opposition to your statements. I merely said that MARTA doesn't get any support from the state, which is the biggest reason why it's not as extensive as it is. Even without certain counties not historically wanting MARTA, which I am VERY well aware of--you didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, thank you very much--it could still have better coverage within Fulton and DeKalb counties.

Damn, why do people look for every opportunity to just go off on the Georgia and Atlanta forums? That's why I stopped posting here. Everybody looks to turn every little statement into a fight. Geeeeesh......!!!
i am sorry, just as you said, i as well am too accustomed to people in this forum trying to pick a fight at every little thing, i read it as an attack on my sentence my appologies.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:51 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Apology accepted.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Apology accepted.
Thank you i just get really defensive of Atlanta sometimes.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:42 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Atlanta's traffic cannot even compare to LA's. The problem with traffic around here is the fact that people don't know how to drive efficiently. I know this may happen in a lot of places, but there are a HUGE amount of people that don't even know that if there is a person behind you going faster than you, you move over to the right to let them pass, ESPECIALLY in HOV lanes! I see traffic backed up with people slamming on their brakes because one person is oblivious.
Also, I don't think the state should be responsible for MARTA. I strongly support mass transit and think people are crazy (especially in Gwinnett County) for not supporting it. I believe MARTA should be funded by the counties and cities that it serves. I'm completely against anyone in places such as Valdosta, Augusta or even Vidalia funding MARTA. Funding should come from the City of Atlanta, Fulton County, DeKalb County, etc....
And yes, it is very sad that there is still a mentality that a black man, white man, hispanic man, etc cannot live beside one another. One thing that disgusts me about the south in general.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:56 AM

^^^ im in los angeles right now and it truly has less traffic than atlanta metro they always say "traffic In l.a. is worse" I don't see any evidence of that and i come down here all the time. Back to topic though I wasn't saying state should fund public transport I was only saying it was a disappointment that a bunch of the surrounding counties didn't support the MARTA and how it has negatively impacted the traffic in Atlanta.

Last edited by Bizurko; 03-22-2011 at 01:32 AM..

Old 03-22-2011, 06:30 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I've noticed a LOT of comments in many recent threads both in the Georgia boards and others (i.e Birmingham The Next Atlanta?) that a LOT of people -- many Georgians, but also lots of people from other states like Alabama, say: "The only places I would EVER live in Georgia is Atlanta or Savannah." As someone who grew up in Atlanta and now lives in Savannah, I can understand that statement -- even though I know in my head and my heart that I could really live anywhere in this state for the right reason, or another state for that matter. (I did go to school in Athens after all, and lived in Brunswick for a couple of years as well).

MY QUESTION: How do you folks in the state's other 2nd tier cities feel when people elevate Savannah so high above your town? Does it grate your nerves that other folks so easily dismiss your cities? Do you get tired of constantly defending or explaining why/where you live? Is there any truth to this? And why do so many people in other states have such a low opinion (or no opinion) of Georgia beyond Atlanta and Savannah?
Any time I see the words "Atlanta vs. Georgia" and it isn't a Tech vs. UGA reference, I immediately grow skeptical. Friendly rivalries are one thing, but petty rivalries are a different matter. We all have to deal with the looming budget shortfall, we all have to deal with the lack of water resources, we all have to deal with the poverty throughout the state, we all have to deal with a very expensive criminal corrections system, we all have to deal with government policies that benefit some at the expense of others. Besides, each of Georgia's medium-sized cities has its own flavor, as does each part of Georgia's major city.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:09 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Just as I have a problem with the word "progressive", as it's code for those who demand respect, tolerance, inclusiveness & compassion from all people, but who never give it in return.

To each their own I suppose.
I never used the word "progressive" nor am I one as the term is used today as a euphemism and substitute for liberal, and I never mentioned any of the other things you mentioned. I am a libertarian and a conservative, just not a religious one. Not sure if you were referring to me with you comment.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:38 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Also, I don't think the state should be responsible for MARTA. I strongly support mass transit and think people are crazy (especially in Gwinnett County) for not supporting it. I believe MARTA should be funded by the counties and cities that it serves. I'm completely against anyone in places such as Valdosta, Augusta or even Vidalia funding MARTA. Funding should come from the City of Atlanta, Fulton County, DeKalb County, etc....
I think that's pretty short-sighted. Mass transit helps to reduce congestion, carbon emissions, and move people. As such, it is directly linked to economic development and the state should do all it can to encourage economic development. It's been documented that companies are having second thoughts about coming to Atlanta because of its traffic woes, and that in turn hurts the state as a whole. Furthermore, are you also of the mindset that we need to abolish GDOT and just let every local jurisdiction build and maintain its own roads?

Also, due to cost, it's simply not possible for MARTA, or any mass transit system, to be fully funded just by its users. There's absolutely no way such a system can be built and maintained without subsidies, whether from the state or from the feds.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:11 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I never used the word "progressive" nor am I one as the term is used today as a euphemism and substitute for liberal, and I never mentioned any of the other things you mentioned. I am a libertarian and a conservative, just not a religious one. Not sure if you were referring to me with you comment.
No reference to you, just to the "p" words. Seems you & I might be on the same side of the political fence here; something rare indeed on the overly liberal C-D.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:44 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
I think that's pretty short-sighted. Mass transit helps to reduce congestion, carbon emissions, and move people. As such, it is directly linked to economic development and the state should do all it can to encourage economic development. It's been documented that companies are having second thoughts about coming to Atlanta because of its traffic woes, and that in turn hurts the state as a whole. Furthermore, are you also of the mindset that we need to abolish GDOT and just let every local jurisdiction build and maintain its own roads?

Also, due to cost, it's simply not possible for MARTA, or any mass transit system, to be fully funded just by its users. There's absolutely no way such a system can be built and maintained without subsidies, whether from the state or from the feds.
I highly doubt that half the population of Georgia, Metro Atlanta, cannot fund MARTA without the other half, which gets no use of it in day to day life. You may have your opinion on this matter and I will have mine. I do not believe it's short-sightedness, I believe it's logical.
Also, GDOT covers the entire state of Georgia so the entire state of Georgia is affected by what it does. MARTA on the other hand is not.
As I said before, I am a supporter of mass transit and believe that we need to put less of our money into roads and more into mass transit. I just think we need to fund it the right way and not let those who have no use for it bear the burden of it's costs. I'm sure a lot of people would agree with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia