Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 04:36 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Got proof of that?
Yes, I have signed affidavits from every single citizen from every single city that I mentioned affirming their support of gay rights, as well as a transcript of the detailed investigation into gay activity in north Georgia conducted by the GBI.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:53 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
While rural North Georgia towns like Blue Ridge, Jasper, Ellijay and Clayton obviously are no San Francisco, New York or even Midtown Atlanta when it comes to culture, Iconographer has a great point about the presence of thriving gay communities in the towns of the North Georgia Mountains.

Here is an article from more than three-and-a-half years ago in the British magazine The Guardian the talks about how the influx of gay and lesbian residents has revitalized a North Georgia Mountains town of Blue Ridge that was once hostile to gays and lesbians...

"In a landmark week, acceptance of gay people is a fact in Georgia Bible belt" (The Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ble-belt-south

Quote:
Blue Ridge, Georgia, a logging town in the state’s Appalachian foothills, used to give gays two choices: hide or leave. This was God’s country. Baptist, Methodist, Pentecostal and Catholic churches speckled the landscape.

Those who could not stay in the closet packed their bags and wound down a forested two-lane road to the relative anonymity and sanctuary of Atlanta. Few returned.

Times have changed. A gay and lesbian influx has transformed this corner of the Bible belt. They have bought homes, opened businesses and filled leadership positions.

“Gays have really changed and revived this community. We have brought jobs. Locals are happy that the city is thriving again,” said Jack Morton, who runs several businesses with his partner, Michael Brunson. “I was hesitant at first but not one time have I heard anyone make a negative comment or even insinuate. It’s been inclusive.”

In addition to managing a beauty salon and design store, Morton, who has won four Emmys for make-up, is chairman of the county chamber of commerce’s tourism committee, sits on the economic development authority and helps organise events, including a 4 July parade that features a marching band in drag. “It’s a riot,” he says.

Other gay and lesbian entrepreneurs have helped turn Blue Ridge’s main street into a hub of gourmet restaurants and boutique stores popular with visitors, creating an island of prosperity in a region hit by the decline of logging and the closure of a Levi’s denim factory...

...As the baby boomers among them (Georgia’s gay, lesbian and transgender people clustered in midtown Atlanta) aged, many started moving to Blue Ridge and surrounding Fannin county. The cost of living was lower and a new highway, the 575, made it feel closer to Atlanta, cows and shooting ranges notwithstanding.

“It’s almost a pastoral lifestyle. People are very private, it’s live and let live,” said Joe Gaston, 60, a retired university professor. “I was really surprised to discover there’s a very active gay and lesbian community.”

Every few months about 150 mostly elderly couples and singletons gather for dinner – all bring a dish – at a ranch, said Gaston. They are discreet but even if they flew banners most neighbours would be oblivious, he said. “They’d think, ‘Oh, what pretty rainbow colours.’”

The 2010 census found that, outside of the state capital, Fannin county had Georgia’s highest rate of same-sex couples – one in 10. Opinion polls found Georgia mellowing towards same-sex marriage. A decade ago three quarters opposed it, versus half now.

“It’s not an issue I’ve ever had to think about. It’s not my business.” said Donna Whitener, Blue Ridge’s Republican (and first woman) mayor. Locals appreciated the newcomers for generating jobs and raising property prices. “They’re highly respected, they’re great business people.” They were also big spenders, she said. “Whereas if you’ve got kids you’re broke.”

Old 10-25-2017, 04:37 PM

14 posts, read 15,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
While rural North Georgia towns like Blue Ridge, Jasper, Ellijay and Clayton obviously are no San Francisco, New York or even Midtown Atlanta when it comes to culture, Iconographer has a great point about the presence of thriving gay communities in the towns of the North Georgia Mountains.

Here is an article from more than three-and-a-half years ago in the British magazine The Guardian the talks about how the influx of gay and lesbian residents has revitalized a North Georgia Mountains town of Blue Ridge that was once hostile to gays and lesbians...

"In a landmark week, acceptance of gay people is a fact in Georgia Bible belt" (The Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ble-belt-south
How can a place that's over 80 percent Republican and populated by rednecks and old white people possibly be gay friendly?

Old 10-30-2017, 08:10 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeaulazy2017 View Post
How can a place that's over 80 percent Republican and populated by rednecks and old white people possibly be gay friendly?
Seems like the article answered your question.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:31 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
If you've been to any of these places or know gay people that live there, it's pretty clear that they're all very accepting. I don't think they necessarily have to throw a parade to prove that.
I would not call any of those towns gay friendly, more like gay tolerant at best. There still a lot of growth needed about tolerance in the area but those towns you mention do have a gay population but not one that can freely publicly live their lives. It's getting better and much has to do with the economics of those towns.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:54 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
I would not call any of those towns gay friendly, more like gay tolerant at best. There still a lot of growth needed about tolerance in the area but those towns you mention do have a gay population but not one that can freely publicly live their lives. It's getting better and much has to do with the economics of those towns.
Seems to me they already are. What is your 'acid test', running around in the streets wearing a ball gown and waving a rainbow flag?

Old 10-30-2017, 05:51 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,931 times
Quote:
Seems to me they already are. What is your 'acid test', running around in the streets wearing a ball gown and waving a rainbow flag?
Well my "acid test" would be how the majority of the population acts around you once they know you are gay. As a gay man that visits those areas often and know gay people that live there I will tell you that there are still a large number that will not associate with you if they know you are gay. So no that's not gay friendly to me. That would mean that being gay is not an issue with the majority of the population. That's still not the case in those towns even though it has gotten better.

Oh and since you brought up the rainbow flag. Gay friendly would mean a store or house would fly the flag and there would be no issue about it, just like if someone wanted to fly a flag with a frog or flowers.
And by the way this is coming from a gay man that loves the area and plans to retire there. As I said is gotten better and I hope it continues in that direction.

Last edited by Beach Sportsfan; 10-30-2017 at 06:13 PM..

Old 10-30-2017, 08:45 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,890 times
what would be the reaction be if two men or women walked down the street holding hands or God-forbid, held a Pride Parade? Like I said in an earlier post.. these towns may not be openly hostile to gays.. but I do not see them being openly gay friendly either. But that is not a knock on these towns. Augusta is definitely not gay friendly and it is a city of 200,000.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:12 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Where is this place and how do I get there?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia