Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 04:58 PM

9 posts, read 21,475 times

Advertisements

Hello guys!
Right so were a young couple from London (UK) and were looking to emmigrate.
We'v been looking at Georgia but to be quite honest dont have a clue where we would want to live in Georgia. We like the idea of everyone being really friendly which Georgia is famous for
We're both self employed as well so a few tips on the old economy would be great!

Any advise would be fab.

CHEARS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 05:46 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,661,029 times
What type of city are you looking for? Do you like the beach? Mountains? Big city? Glad you guys are interested in Georgia!

Old 02-24-2012, 07:00 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times
Self-employed doing what? The economy in general sucks right now, but it's impossible to sy what might be a good location for you without knowing what kind of market you need.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
What type of city are you looking for? Do you like the beach? Mountains? Big city? Glad you guys are interested in Georgia!
Beachy would be nice. And we loved it last time we visited so thought why not!

Old 02-25-2012, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Self-employed doing what? The economy in general sucks right now, but it's impossible to sy what might be a good location for you without knowing what kind of market you need.

Well i run my own dance school which doesn't really need me anymore and my partner is a dog behaviourist and worked in the building trade for many years before. What would that be like out there. I know the economy over here is ruined. Apparent from London area all up north (birmingham ect) is rough, its hard for people to find work ect

Old 02-26-2012, 09:39 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,006,384 times
Uhm, how do you intend to make this move legally? You understand that you can't simply show up, establish a business/find a job, and stay, right?

Do you have permanent residency? If not, how are you going to obtain it?

Old 03-01-2012, 12:34 PM

Well I already have a full Visa so that isn't a problem.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:27 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,426,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia and Reiss View Post
We like the idea of everyone being really friendly which Georgia is famous for
As a non-native GA guy married to a GA women who has history from well before the civil war all in GA (and living in GA)... Georgia being famous for everyone being friendly is about as accurate as folks from England being famous for having truly Aweful teeth. It may have been true once upon a time, and there Might be some hold-over today in odd places, but it's generally not true.

On the other hand, you're going to be "interesting" and different by way of your accent so you'll find people being friendly anywhere in the US. Is there are particular reason you picked GA over FL, SC, NC, VA or any other state for that matter? You know that it's Very hot and humid here ~ as an example, we're already hitting 70's F/20's C and it's going to do nothing but get hotter ~ looks like humidity is about the same (80%+) as London. Speaking as someone from a climate more on track with London, it's miserable here and there are only a few months of the year when I can stand to be outside. If it were not for my wife, I would be somewhere much cooler, and much prettier (subjective, I know)

Point being, if you're going to move and have the option to go anywhere, you're going to find nearly everywhere in the US equally friendly. Might as well hit as many wish-list items as possible. You could start with mentioning why you want to move ~ what's lacking about your current home that you want to include, or what's present that you want to remove. Then you can go further and mention what you love that you don't want to lose. Lots of people here have been all over this country (I've personally lived in 12 different states for more than 1 year) and might be able to point you in a Better direction. Or, they might just confirm that somewhere in GA is the best option. Hard to say.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:12 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,600,149 times
Savannah.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
As a non-native GA guy married to a GA women who has history from well before the civil war all in GA (and living in GA)... Georgia being famous for everyone being friendly is about as accurate as folks from England being famous for having truly Aweful teeth. It may have been true once upon a time, and there Might be some hold-over today in odd places, but it's generally not true.

On the other hand, you're going to be "interesting" and different by way of your accent so you'll find people being friendly anywhere in the US. Is there are particular reason you picked GA over FL, SC, NC, VA or any other state for that matter? You know that it's Very hot and humid here ~ as an example, we're already hitting 70's F/20's C and it's going to do nothing but get hotter ~ looks like humidity is about the same (80%+) as London. Speaking as someone from a climate more on track with London, it's miserable here and there are only a few months of the year when I can stand to be outside. If it were not for my wife, I would be somewhere much cooler, and much prettier (subjective, I know)

Point being, if you're going to move and have the option to go anywhere, you're going to find nearly everywhere in the US equally friendly. Might as well hit as many wish-list items as possible. You could start with mentioning why you want to move ~ what's lacking about your current home that you want to include, or what's present that you want to remove. Then you can go further and mention what you love that you don't want to lose. Lots of people here have been all over this country (I've personally lived in 12 different states for more than 1 year) and might be able to point you in a Better direction. Or, they might just confirm that somewhere in GA is the best option. Hard to say.

To be honest with you we really don't have a clue where we want to move too. We would like somewhere busy but not to busy and somewhere with nice weather, because there is one stereotype that is true about London and thats the weather :/.
As far as current lacking in our home, its not lacking as in we cant bare it we would just like to move and have a change. We are extremely open to ideas if you have any suggestions.
Any from of direction would be great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia