Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 06:46 PM

201 posts, read 1,123,109 times

Advertisements

Including myself, I love Georgia and would like to someday be there. There is always talk of it being over-populated, but the "transplants" keep moving there. Are you flattered or are you tired of adding another lane to the highways to accommodate the overflow? How do you feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 08:08 PM

483 posts, read 2,094,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janette moss View Post
Including myself, I love Georgia and would like to someday be there. There is always talk of it being over-populated, but the "transplants" keep moving there. Are you flattered or are you tired of adding another lane to the highways to accommodate the overflow? How do you feel?
'Georgenettes' - a good name for a girls' basketball team?

Anyway, yes, despite feeling somewhat guilty about it (we're supposed to be famous for 'southern hospitality') it should be completely obvious to everyone by now that too many people ruin things wherever they go. See LA. We wind up paying higher taxes, getting poorer service, fighting more crime and traffic. The benefits (a few chain restaurants which offer a wide variety of crappy food while running the mom-and-pop eateries out of business) aren't enough to offset the problems.

Of course, that's just my personal opinion. I'm sure greedy developers would think differently.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:20 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
Isn't the over-population more in the metro Atlanta area more so than throughout the state?

Old 09-23-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
'Georgenettes' - a good name for a girls' basketball team?

Anyway, yes, despite feeling somewhat guilty about it (we're supposed to be famous for 'southern hospitality') it should be completely obvious to everyone by now that too many people ruin things wherever they go. See LA. We wind up paying higher taxes, getting poorer service, fighting more crime and traffic. The benefits (a few chain restaurants which offer a wide variety of crappy food while running the mom-and-pop eateries out of business) aren't enough to offset the problems.

Of course, that's just my personal opinion. I'm sure greedy developers would think differently.
Girls' basketball team -- When I woke up this morning I thought about that name "Georgenettes" myself. For the sake of respect, let me change that to Georgians. Also, this week it was written in the newspapers that LA has the most congested traffic and Atlanta and DC/Maryland area are running a close second. Greedy developers -- that's funny! When I visit Georgia, I always say that they know what they are doing in that they just find a spot, cut down trees and start developing. Your "somewhat guilt" just says that in spite of your opinion, your "southern hospitality" makes you sensitive as to how you feel about the "invaders" and you have that right. I asked and you were honest!

Old 09-23-2007, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Isn't the over-population more in the metro Atlanta area more so than throughout the state?
You are probably right, but it's still part of Georgia and everyone wants to be in that state. A man told my husband and me during one of our visits "in order to get to heaven, you have to go through Georgia to get there". When my father passed (had never flown in his life) I had his remains shipped to W.Va. from Michigan. The plane stopped in Georgia and then "he" proceeded his jorney from there.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
That's totally true. Problem is, the 'metro area' just keeps getting bigger and bigger as it gobbles up all the small towns within 1 1/2 to 2 hours drive from the city center.
Eventually, you'll be able to drive from Macon to Chattanooga without ever losing sight of fast-food, cheap-motel hell. Personally, I prefer trees.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
That's totally true. Problem is, the 'metro area' just keeps getting bigger and bigger as it gobbles up all the small towns within 1 1/2 to 2 hours drive from the city center.
Eventually, you'll be able to drive from Macon to Chattanooga without ever losing sight of fast-food, cheap-motel hell. Personally, I prefer trees.
I'm chuckling to myself about your comment. I bet a lot of people in Georgia would prefer the trees.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I'm chuckling to myself about your comment. I bet a lot of people in Georgia would prefer the trees.
Despite the fact that I sound somewhat negative - it's still a lot nicer here than LA.
It's just a shame that there isn't a concerted effort to keep it that way.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Despite the fact that I sound somewhat negative - it's still a lot nicer here than LA.
It's just a shame that there isn't a concerted effort to keep it that way.
I know this is a hypothetical question, but if you had the power what would you propose or suggest to keep it nice or what would you change if given the chance?

Old 09-24-2007, 07:24 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
I know this is a hypothetical question, but if you had the power what would you propose or suggest to keep it nice or what would you change if given the chance?
I know what *I* would do...

Put a ban on all new apartment and condo construction for years in the immediate metro area.

Immediately fund more transit options. Light rail, heavy rail expansion, commuter rail, as well as key new roads where they're really needed.

Have dedicated departments throughout the metro area whos sole job is to make sure traffic signals are timed correctly, greatly reducing bottlenecks.

Require metro gas stations to provide alternate fuels for cars such as bio diesel, ethanol, methanol, etc.

That's more of a fantasy than stuff that would actually happen, I mean, it makes sense so that immediately knocks the ideas out of the ballpark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia