Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2013, 03:39 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times

Advertisements

Here's the disclaimer that I was talking about:
Attached Thumbnails
What city could become Georgia's second major metro?-image.jpg  

Last edited by Newsboy; 10-26-2013 at 03:49 PM..

Old 10-26-2013, 03:43 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

I don't know much about Columbia County, but I always thought of it as more of a bedroom community with most of the region's industry located in Richmond and Aiken counties.

That's exactly what it is.....not sure why it was even bought up as a negative that the wealth was located there. Richmond County is where most of the commercial growth is happening, and most of the residential growth is happening in Columbia County. Aiken County is the industrial/agricultural county it would appear...but all of them work hand in hand together.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:46 PM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Media market statistics tend to be a good gauge of how isolated a metro is in certain respects. Augusta's would be larger if the metro didn't border Columbia to the east.

Gotcha.

Ummmm....ok. But I didn't quite get the comparison between all the cities you paired, particularly Columbus and Greensboro. That one was sort of odd.

Barring something extremely significant happening, that's a no go.

I don't know much about Columbia County, but I always thought of it as more of a bedroom community with most of the region's industry located in Richmond and Aiken counties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
Savannah is light years ahead of Augusta? Are you talking about the whole city or just downtown?

Savannah's downtown is definitely better than Augusta's.....but a downtown isn't the whole city although an important part. Having a better downtown doesn't necessarily equate to a bigger or "better" metro.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:48 PM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The beach is not the reason why millions of tourists visit Savannah.

I would be willing to bet its the main reason why.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:54 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
You would lose that bet.

Are people in Augusta REALLY this unaware about what makes Savannah so special?! Have none of you even been here?! Or are y'all just in complete and total denial?!

FROM WIKIPEDIA:

Each year Savannah attracts millions of visitors, who enjoy the city's architecture and historic buildings: the birthplace of Juliette Gordon Low (founder of the Girl Scouts of the United States of America), the Georgia Historical Society (the oldest continually operating historical society in the South), the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences (one of the South's first public museums), the First African Baptist Church (one of the oldest African-American Baptist congregations in the United States), Temple Mickve Israel (the third oldest synagogue in America), and the Central of Georgia Railway roundhouse complex (the oldest standing antebellum rail facility in America).[3][5]

Savannah's downtown area, which includes the Savannah Historic District, the Savannah Victorian Historic District and 22 parklike squares, is one of the largest National Historic Landmark Districts in the United States (designated by the U.S. government in 1966).[3][A] Downtown Savannah largely retains the original town plan prescribed by founder James Oglethorpe (a design now known as The Oglethorpe Plan). Savannah was the host city for the sailing competitions during the 1996 Summer Olympics held in Atlanta.

Last edited by Newsboy; 10-26-2013 at 04:07 PM..

Old 10-26-2013, 03:58 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/colum...-columbia.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/colum...pf-changs.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/colum...-columbia.html

The posters were coming into our forum before I created the mall thread in August/2013.... They even mention Augusta in the Greenville/Columbus forums multiple times..
But those threads are in the Columbia forum. They are not an example of Columbia folks frequently commenting in the Augusta forum. And like I said, any references to Augusta are largely retail-oriented and that's about it. And having Greenville and Columbia folks make a few comments about Augusta in this context is hardly an example of "the entire state of South Carolina" talking about Augusta over Savannah.

Quote:
Why did you go resurrect the Atlanta keeps growing towards Augusta thread and make this comment at the same time? Nobody mentioned anything related to the Augusta-Columbia CSA, and the majority of people in Augusta don't care either.... One person created the thread on the potential of the Augusta/Columbia joining together..
I simply said that's about the only other time Columbia comes up related to Augusta, and typically on the Augusta side.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I'd disagree with that. While Savannah is close to the beaches, Savannah itself isn't coastal and the Georgia beaches really aren't all that popular compared to beaches in neighboring states. I know in the Atlanta area, when folks are going to Savannah, they are actually going to Savannah. But when they are going to the beach, I here many more references to the Gulf Coast beaches and even Myrtle Beach than the Georgia beaches.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:10 PM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
You would lose that bet.

Are people in Augusta REALLY this unaware about what makes Savannah so special?! Have none of you even been here?! Or are y'all just in complete and total denial?!

FROM WIKIPEDIA:

Each year Savannah attracts millions of visitors, who enjoy the city's architecture and historic buildings: the birthplace of Juliette Gordon Low (founder of the Girl Scouts of the United States of America), the Georgia Historical Society (the oldest continually operating historical society in the South), the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences (one of the South's first public museums), the First African Baptist Church (one of the oldest African-American Baptist congregations in the United States), Temple Mickve Israel (the third oldest synagogue in America), and the Central of Georgia Railway roundhouse complex (the oldest standing antebellum rail facility in America).[3][5]

Savannah's downtown area, which includes the Savannah Historic District, the Savannah Victorian Historic District and 22 parklike squares, is one of the largest National Historic Landmark Districts in the United States (designated by the U.S. government in 1966).[3][A] Downtown Savannah largely retains the original town plan prescribed by founder James Oglethorpe (a design now known as The Oglethorpe Plan). Savannah was the host city for the sailing competitions during the 1996 Summer Olympics held in Atlanta.

All those places are nice places to visit when you're done at the beach.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
All those places are nice places to visit when you're done at the beach.
I'd disagree. Savannah is something of a mini-New Orleans and there are no beaches in New Orleans, yet look at how many tourists it gets. Also consider the fact that Savannah is not directly on the coast, yet it gets more visitors than Charleston which is truly a coastal city.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:36 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,140,627 times
Quote:
LOL, no. I just went to Savannah last year and it was to see the actual city and it's historic sites. It far beats any other city, but Atlanta and it beats Atlanta in historical value as well. If I wanted to go to the beach, I'd just rive to Florida and experience some real beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia