Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 09:01 PM

322 posts, read 586,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
When I look at the cities of Georgia I see enormous potential. With the proper infrasture i.e. interstates, airports, etc. I see Atlanta ruling all, Augusta as another Raleigh, Columbus as another Greensboro and Savannah as another New Orleans. I believe Augusta will rise above all not because of the Masters but because it has the best blend of highly valuable industries especially the cybernetic and biomedical industries and if you think bigger picture imagine the biotech and cybernetics industry combining in the future with the development of new technology being created in our state. Whether you live in Augusta or Columbus or Savannah or whereever you should feel proud to know our state is set up for the future well except transportation wise but that's a work in progress.
YES! Finally,someone with sense!

Old 10-23-2013, 09:22 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
But I'm going off sheer numbers because Athens could be in that tier because of its reputation and the college town culture to an extent.....
I don't think that's enough in and of itself.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
When I look at the cities of Georgia I see enormous potential. With the proper infrasture i.e. interstates, airports, etc. I see Atlanta ruling all, Augusta as another Raleigh, Columbus as another Greensboro and Savannah as another New Orleans. I believe Augusta will rise above all not because of the Masters but because it has the best blend of highly valuable industries especially the cybernetic and biomedical industries and if you think bigger picture imagine the biotech and cybernetics industry combining in the future with the development of new technology being created in our state. Whether you live in Augusta or Columbus or Savannah or whereever you should feel proud to know our state is set up for the future well except transportation wise but that's a work in progress.
Ummmm....

Old 10-23-2013, 10:00 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,976,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Ummmm....
Yeah, I was scratching my head at that one too.

I don't think ANY of the "2nd tier" Georgia cities should be another anything. Raleigh, Greensboro and New Orleans are their own cities. So are Columbus, Augusta and Savannah.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Yeah, I was scratching my head at that one too.

I don't think ANY of the "2nd tier" Georgia cities should be another anything. Raleigh, Greensboro and New Orleans are their own cities. So are Columbus, Augusta and Savannah.
Precisely.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:13 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times
Quote:
SERIOUSLY?! Savannah is at the APEX of two MAJOR interstate highways (95 and 16). Further, Savannah's airport is among the 100 busiest airports in the NATION! And Savannah's port is the 4th busiest in the NATION and 2nd busiest on the EAST COAST after NY/NJ ..,:

MAJOR FAIL!!!

Old 10-23-2013, 10:30 PM

934 posts, read 1,347,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
SERIOUSLY?! Savannah is at the APEX of two MAJOR interstate highways (95 and 16). Further, Savannah's airport is among the 100 busiest airports in the NATION! And Savannah's port is the 4th busiest in the NATION and 2nd busiest on the EAST COAST after NY/NJ ..,:

MAJOR FAIL!!!

Augusta's GDP is still higher? How is this possible?

Old 10-23-2013, 11:35 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times
Default !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post

Augusta's GDP is still higher? How is this possible?
Because Savannah's official "metro" is defined by just THREE COUNTIES and does not count TWO counties that make up its CSA -- Liberty and Bulloch. Further, Savannah's "metro" does not yet include Jasper and Beaufort counties, SC -- which absolutely ARE considered part of the "greater Savannah market" and WILL eventually be included in the SAVANNAH MSA AND CSA!

Let me repeat this stat: Savannah is the 92 largest MEDIA MARKET in the nation. Augusta is 112. Media markets are a FAR MORE ACCURATE REPRESENTATION of trade area than METRO AREA. Media Market size is how NATIONAL ADVERTISERS determine where to purchase time. Savannah is a MORE LUCRATIVE market than Augusta.

End of story.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:09 AM

27 posts, read 36,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Because Savannah's official "metro" is defined by just THREE COUNTIES and does not count TWO counties that make up its CSA -- Liberty and Bulloch. Further, Savannah's "metro" does not yet include Jasper and Beaufort counties, SC -- which absolutely ARE considered part of the "greater Savannah market" and WILL eventually be included in the SAVANNAH MSA AND CSA!

Let me repeat this stat: Savannah is the 92 largest MEDIA MARKET in the nation. Augusta is 112. Media markets are a FAR MORE ACCURATE REPRESENTATION of trade area than METRO AREA. Media Market size is how NATIONAL ADVERTISERS determine where to purchase time. Savannah is a MORE LUCRATIVE market than Augusta.

End of story.
Nice post, inspired me to look up the rankings. #92 Savannah -----#111 Augusta-Aiken -----#118 Macon-----#127 Columbus, GA (Opelika, AL) ----#150 Albany, GA http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/c...enetration.pdf ----- Augusta has a larger metro than Savannah, and Columbus metro is larger than Macon's, but Savannah has a larger media market than Augusta and Macon a larger one than Columbus? Intriguing.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:19 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,622,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't think that's enough in and of itself.
I said to an extent for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia