Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 09:45 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,914 times

Advertisements

Have to agree, the South is a sh*thole, at least GA and FL are. GA IS Atlanta, there's nothing else. Seriousely THINK before you pack up and run away from the north to here, thinking this is some paradise because everything is so "cheap" and "laid back" because you "read it on the internet"!

It's very true, happened to myself, and I know several other people who feel the same way, it's all attractive and alluring and seems like such a great deal it can't be beat, then you're here and after about a yr or so you realize how sh*tty this place is and want to get the hell out, but can't because you're stuck w/a house, haven't been able to save any money because the cost of living is so much higher than you expected...Of course you can't sell your house because they build new housing developments every 2 days, so everybody buys something new, which of course after about 5yrs those neighborhoods are old and crappy...

Old 10-22-2006, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
My husband jokes that once we move to Cumming I will probably spend more time looking for good pizza and bagels than worrying about getting the house unpacked. lol a good "jersery girl" knows whats important
From what I can tell there are quite a few of us reloacted Jersey and NY folks
as I think someone suggested maybe we could have a "tips topic section" on where to find good pizza, deli and bagels or yeah and cheese steaks
Once we move in y'all are welomce to our house for a real "yankee" housewarming
Karla

Moving to Cumming...believe me, you're going to be in for a rude awakening, it is nothing like what you described, or your preconceived notion about it!!!

If you speak Spanish then you might be able to have a conversation in the checkout line, but if you don't, nobody is going to give you the time of day. Unless you can really fake being a 'southerner' pretty well...and mention jesus every other sentence.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:37 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
inga
I appreciate your response.
In the 4 days I spent driving around Cumming I noticed it is seems to be a large area and in every large area you are going to have pockets of different cultures and ethnic groups. I saw some very very rural areas along with the new developing areas.
I think this is something you are going to find in every city, 25 years ago a major portion of the Jacksonville "suburbs" didn't exist
I didn't notice while driving through almost every subdivision along with the time I spent in stores, a large number of any particular culture group, I saw a diverse group of people. I had no problems having conversations at the grocery store, gas station,restaurants or even in the subdivisions. Yes, I am the type while driving through a subdivision will stop and ask what do you like about this neighborhood. Everyone was very friendly and helpful and spoke English.
Jacksonville has a very strong baptist influence. The First baptist Church is a strong force here. I am Lutheran and my husband is Catholic and they haven't run us out of town yet
The neighborhood I live in now is very culture and religiously diverse, We actually had a couple neighbors stop talking to us when they found out we weren't married and "living in sin" once we were married they decided they could talk to us again lol so be it.
I have lived in quite a few major cities and I welcome the diversity, just think how boring life would be if everyone was the same.
I cherish the wonderful discussions I have had with the Rabbi that just moved in along with a good friend that lives up the street who is baptist. I enjoy learning about different cultures.
We have a couple families who's parents don't speak English but "good morning" "hello" "have a great day" and a smile and wave means the same in any language.
Yes, maybe you can say I am coming up wearing the "rose colored glasses" but I would rather have a positive attitude and look upon it as a new adventure in my life. This is move # 24 for me so hey if I don't like it we can always move
Karla

Old 10-22-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
inga
I appreciate your response.
In the 4 days I spent driving around Cumming I noticed it is seems to be a large area and in every large area you are going to have pockets of different cultures and ethnic groups. I saw some very very rural areas along with the new developing areas.
I think this is something you are going to find in every city, 25 years ago a major portion of the Jacksonville "suburbs" didn't exist
I didn't notice while driving through almost every subdivision along with the time I spent in stores, a large number of any particular culture group, I saw a diverse group of people. I had no problems having conversations at the grocery store, gas station,restaurants or even in the subdivisions. Yes, I am the type while driving through a subdivision will stop and ask what do you like about this neighborhood. Everyone was very friendly and helpful and spoke English.
Jacksonville has a very strong baptist influence. The First baptist Church is a strong force here. I am Lutheran and my husband is Catholic and they haven't run us out of town yet
The neighborhood I live in now is very culture and religiously diverse, We actually had a couple neighbors stop talking to us when they found out we weren't married and "living in sin" once we were married they decided they could talk to us again lol so be it.
I have lived in quite a few major cities and I welcome the diversity, just think how boring life would be if everyone was the same.
I cherish the wonderful discussions I have had with the Rabbi that just moved in along with a good friend that lives up the street who is baptist. I enjoy learning about different cultures.
We have a couple families who's parents don't speak English but "good morning" "hello" "have a great day" and a smile and wave means the same in any language.
Yes, maybe you can say I am coming up wearing the "rose colored glasses" but I would rather have a positive attitude and look upon it as a new adventure in my life. This is move # 24 for me so hey if I don't like it we can always move
Karla
Not trying to give you a hard time, but are you talking about Jacksonville or Cumming??? If you're talking about Cumming...WTF??? Diversity? You can't be serious? Cumming is 75% neo-conservative white baptist and 25% illegal-day labor mexican/latinos who speak no englisho...THERE ARE NO CULTURES HERE...OF ANY KIND! Unless Super Wal-Mart and Applebee's is culture...And No you're not welcome here regardless of your religion, people here judge not only by what religion you are, but you can even go to the same church and they cast judgement on you, etc. because you don't 'participate' in the church the way they think you should be. We're Catholic, I don't even tell people that, I'll give the impression we just aren't religious at all before I'll tell them that.

I think you're talking about J'ville...If not, then you must be talking about a Cumming in another state???

Last edited by xxman777; 10-22-2006 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: Removed Insult

Old 10-22-2006, 02:18 PM

21 posts, read 134,668 times
INGA - You are right and I have only lived in Cumming for 3 months and could figure out all that in the first week of living here. Any suggestions on what other areas are better than Cumming? Is there ANYWHERE in the suburbs here that you know of that's not as bad as this "lilly-white" town?

Old 10-22-2006, 02:27 PM

36 posts, read 239,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
In the past few years, there seems to be a mass exodus of folks moving from NY, NJ, CT, MA and going down south. Why? Mostly because of the high cost of living in the north. I am from NYC, lived in Florida in 2004-2005 and now in Atlanta. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I would love to go back home to NYC. It is so different down here, you would not imagine. Visiting for a week will not give you any real insight as to what it's really like. Don't get wide eyed looking at new homes that you could never afford in the north. There's a reason why the cost of living is more expensive in the north. It's just better to live up there. Yeah i've done the whole working two jobs just to get by in NY and I thought I was sick and tired of the rat race. But guess what? I'd do it all over again. And don't think for a minute that you will escape the rat race. You won't. You'll just be living in a bigger house in the middle of nowhere in the suburbs which are lifeless and you'll be wishing every single day that you could go back home.
The only thing better about Atlanta than the north is the weather (can't say the same about Florida). Even so, I still miss the snow. And to think that I used to complain about winters. Christmas is just not the same in the South.
I even got my real estate license in GA and I see so many people relocating here and I feel sorry for them because I know that most likely within the first year, they are going to hate living here. I'd rather live in a shoebox in NYC than a mansion in the South. And you won't even get a mansion but you'll feel like you hit the lottery when you go visit the new construction homesites. Think about it before you move.

Well dude, all I can suggest is move back to New York if you hate Georgia so much. I grew up in Georgia and loved it. Yes, a lot of areas have changed and we moved to Illinois in 1993 after I graduated highschool. But we are going to move back to Georgia next year and there are still good areas.

Some of us enjoy living in the quieter suburbs and taking life more slowly. The "rat race" is everywhere by the way, not just in the cities. You can't escape it no matter where you move these days because the cost of living is going up everywhere.

Or, move to another part of Georgia and see how you like it. Chicago is a cool city. But then, we get winters like New York. Personally, I'm tired of the winters up here so I'm looking forward to warmer weather in Georgia.

You're only as miserable as you allow yourself to be. Remember, you take your problems with you no matter where you move. It's up to you on how happy you want to be no matter where you live.

Old 10-22-2006, 02:59 PM

431 posts, read 2,125,804 times
Talking InGA you are hilarious.....so true!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InGA View Post
Have to agree, the South is a sh*thole, at least GA and FL are. GA IS Atlanta, there's nothing else. Seriousely THINK before you pack up and run away from the north to here, thinking this is some paradise because everything is so "cheap" and "laid back" because you "read it on the internet"!

It's very true, happened to myself, and I know several other people who feel the same way, it's all attractive and alluring and seems like such a great deal it can't be beat, then you're here and after about a yr or so you realize how sh*tty this place is and want to get the hell out, but can't because you're stuck w/a house, haven't been able to save any money because the cost of living is so much higher than you expected...Of course you can't sell your house because they build new housing developments every 2 days, so everybody buys something new, which of course after about 5yrs those neighborhoods are old and crappy...
Oh man you are so right about the new housing developments. If your house is more than 5 yrs old, people don't even want to touch it. What's up with that??

Old 10-22-2006, 03:27 PM

inga
yes I am talking about the diversity in jax. Though I have been know to be a little "off" at time not quite"certifiable" yet but we never know the state of mind I will be in by the time this whole "adventure" is over.
OK what I dont understand is if it is such a horrible place how come so many people are moving there? A guy my husband works with transferred from TN and loves it and they are far from being neo-conservative white baptists not to mention my old neighbor who is Italian and his wife is from Panama and they have an African american couple living next door.
lol thats it, they are messing up the stats
I did overhear someone say that it is best to live in a neighborhood that is over $275k whats that all about
I love the house we picked out and love the lot so if people decide they don't want to talk to me, I guess you, fooner and I will just have to shake things up a bit I know my old neighbor and the guy he works with will be friends with all of us.
we will have to start our own click.
I just found out from my husband that our subdivision is near the roswell side of cumming if that makes a difference.
I look forward to maybe meeting you both when we get up there.
Karla

Old 10-22-2006, 03:47 PM

oh I forgot the only reason we are moving is for a promotion/transfer for my husband
Would I leave just to move? Probably not. here is a link to some of my gardens I have spent the last 2 years creating. I am not very happy about leaving those
http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...206%2013%2006/

NY - I can answer the "why people don't want the 5 year old houses?" Thats what we started looking for, what we found was kitchens that needed updating and if I was spendingthat kind of money I didnt want to have to spend more once we moved in. One house that was empty had a pan of cookies in the oven that looked to be about 4 months old. the oven and fridge were so nasty it made us look even closer to find any issues. I mean come on for $350k could you at least clean up ?
lay-outs that wouldnt work, I don't care what size the bedrooms were I just needed a big family room. Lots that had these strange berms or sharp drop offs I have dogs and garden so a level lot was important.
not sure what others reasons are but these were ours
karla

Old 10-22-2006, 04:17 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
In the past few years, there seems to be a mass exodus of folks moving from NY, NJ, CT, MA and going down south. Why? Mostly because of the high cost of living in the north. I am from NYC, lived in Florida in 2004-2005 and now in Atlanta. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I would love to go back home to NYC. It is so different down here, you would not imagine. Visiting for a week will not give you any real insight as to what it's really like. Don't get wide eyed looking at new homes that you could never afford in the north. There's a reason why the cost of living is more expensive in the north. It's just better to live up there. Yeah i've done the whole working two jobs just to get by in NY and I thought I was sick and tired of the rat race. But guess what? I'd do it all over again. And don't think for a minute that you will escape the rat race. You won't. You'll just be living in a bigger house in the middle of nowhere in the suburbs which are lifeless and you'll be wishing every single day that you could go back home.
The only thing better about Atlanta than the north is the weather (can't say the same about Florida). Even so, I still miss the snow. And to think that I used to complain about winters. Christmas is just not the same in the South.
I even got my real estate license in GA and I see so many people relocating here and I feel sorry for them because I know that most likely within the first year, they are going to hate living here. I'd rather live in a shoebox in NYC than a mansion in the South. And you won't even get a mansion but you'll feel like you hit the lottery when you go visit the new construction homesites. Think about it before you move.
Other than to whine, and complain, what is the point again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia