Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 04:01 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
I guess that would depend what you "intend the south to be like." Yes I am looking into moving to the south for the lower cost of living, but that's not the only reason. For me, at least, I want a "down-home" feel. I love farms and dirt roads (not that the south is covered with them, but there are probably more down south than up north) I want a slower pace of life. I want things to revolve more around the church and less around "material" things. I don't want my kids growing up thinking that life is all about "what they have or how they look." Of course moving to the south isn't like moving to outerspace; there are things that will still remain the same. I just need a change from this overpopulated, cold place that I live!!!
Your definately going to be in for a rude awakening then, once you get down here and see what it's really like!

Old 11-18-2006, 04:11 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InGA View Post
Your definately going to be in for a rude awakening then, once you get down here and see what it's really like!
I think it depends on where Jen is looking to move. If she is planning on moving anywhere in the Atlanta area you are dead on. Other then a strong relationship with church, all the other things Jen is looking for are absent in the Atlanta area. If she is planning on moving to rural Georgia she will probably find what she is looking for. Of course other places like Kansas might be a little more likely to offer these sorts of things.

Old 11-18-2006, 05:10 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Default I thought that, too...

I thought that the South was down home, too. Instead I found a bunch of superficial jerks that hate Northeners. Be prepared. In GA, knows exactly what he is talking about.

Old 11-18-2006, 06:11 PM

250 posts, read 933,019 times
Worse case scenario: I hate it, so I pick up and move again. Although, all of this talk about the north vs. the south has made me a bit worried! I guess the biggest thing that I need is inexpensive housing and with nice people.

Old 11-18-2006, 06:30 PM

5 posts, read 16,735 times
Then move somewhere in the midwest. Southerners are the strangest lot of people I have ever been among. I have lived all over and this place is just not for outsiders even though alot of people are moving in. Most move here trying to been with their own people and don't want to mix or befriend anyone who is different from their religion or race. It's very segregated and now the gangs from the north are coming to the schools. No one that actually was considered well off is moving here from the North or CA its all trash looking to cash out from the high real estate and bring their thug like ways here.

Old 11-18-2006, 07:19 PM

250 posts, read 933,019 times
Really, I just don't "get it"!!! Why is there such a segregation? To me, it doesn't make sense. I guess I was naive in believing that things would be better down south!

Quote:
What's it really like then? You've peaked my curiosity! Seriously, that wasn't a sarcastic remark... I really want to know!

Old 11-18-2006, 08:12 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Savannah has a terrific Jewish community. I think a ship load of Jewish refugees were the third group of immigrants who settled the colony in the early 1700's. Depending on what you do for a living, you might like it there. I'm not Jewish but have always felt warmly embraced. Savannah has its downside like a high crime rate and lousy public schools. But culturally it's gotten pretty active, for a small southern town.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:42 PM

426 posts, read 2,322,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
Really, I just don't "get it"!!! Why is there such a segregation? To me, it doesn't make sense. I guess I was naive in believing that things would be better down south!
The south is segregated by free will now. Most Blacks don't have white friends or live in white communities because they dont want to or need to. Whites are the same way. Most white people in the metro Atlanta area have nothing against Black people and the Blacks dont really have anything against the whites anymore. Its just that each race seems to feel comfortable around eachother than among outsiders. You wil notice that in the south people like to insulate themselves if they can. Southerners seem to like to live in bubbles, blocking out the parts of the world they dont want to deal with. We segregate ourselves according to class, race, and religion.

The hispanics in Atlanta seem to take hold of this southern culture because they have started to do the same things. Most Hispanics live in hevaily hispanic communities and even they have a majority of friends that look just like them.

I am Black and I have lived in ATlanta for most of my life. I didn't know not mixing was odd until I went to NYC for college. I wouldn't say it makes the south bad, it just makes it different. Parts of the south is still ignorant and slow, like Mississippi, but for the most part race relations is fair and people are more open to change than most Northerners would expect.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:11 PM

64 posts, read 710,185 times
Very true stvincent. I am white and hang with my own kind. I have nothing against other colors but my music is different, my worship is different, my way of socializing is different, my focus on life is different and all this is okay. Malcom X was right on target when he said " Let white be White, Let Black be Black and let's still get along". He was put down by people who thought it was "against God " to segregate but hey, we live in America and we all have the right to live as we want. Hate is bad and abomination to God. Segregation is a choice people have a right to make if they want to when it comes to their personal life. Nobody should put anybody down that feels this way. This violates everything we say we stand for in the US.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:28 PM

86 posts, read 416,025 times
Talking inter-racial couple moving to ATL

I have been reading quite a few posts and now I'm skeptical about our move to Atl. We had originally planned on moving in the summer/2007. We don't want to live hrs away from the city. The main reason we are relocating is for an active/diverse social life in a less conservative city other than Cincinnati, OH. The racial tension is bold and blatant and we live in the suburbs outside of Cinti. Any advice on a racial friendly neighborhood, that is safe for raising elementary school twins and a new HS graduate, would be greatly appreciated. I've been researching neighborhoods and have spent time there but am just not sure. A few weeks isn't enough time learn about a neighborhood. Does anyone have any information bout Emory Hospital and their recruitment of nurses?
Syn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia