Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:54 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Also Georgia is subtropical so its hot 9 months of the year, its mild winters are a plus though.
I guess I'm being picky but I would hardly call Georgia subtropical and it is not hot 9 months out of the year. There is a definite climate change between north and south Georgia, with the Atlanta area, for example, having a definite 4 season weather pattern. Cold (but not bitterly cold or long)winters, extending springs and falls, hot summers. The mountains in North Georgia have weather and flora more resembling Conneticut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 09:35 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,096,091 times
Quote:
Also Georgia is subtropical so its hot 9 months of the year,
This comes from a Florida resident.

He means well, I'm sure, but this is the kind of information you get when non-residents offer advice based on hearsay or online research rather than experience.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:05 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,087,630 times
The mountains are different, its cooler with elevation. Ill check Atlanta, GA. Ok it appears to be zone 8b with an average annual minimum of 15 degrees. Spring can get warm, in April the average high is 71, low averages a pleasent 50. Temperatures of 80 isnt unusual in spring and that is definately enough to make me hot and sweaty. I just turned the a/c on now in south FL because its 84 in my room. Its much hotter indoors than outdoors. Ill need a/c most of the time during the day in spring/fall, it can be 70 outside and over 80 inside. Opening the window lowers the indoor temp a degree or two, not enough. At 65 degrees outside, I can get the indoor temps to high 70s with all the windows open.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:25 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,096,091 times
In Atlanta, we can experience an occasional hot day anytime from March through November. It can feel as if we get nine months worth of heat and humidity bundled into July and August, though.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:39 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,087,630 times
Thats what I researched, it gets to 80+ quite often in spring/fall and the average is low 70s. I will still need a/c because its much hotter indoors than outdoors. Id like a climate where I dont need a/c at least 6 months of the year

Old 02-04-2007, 11:07 AM

91 posts, read 477,067 times
Default Affordable homes are outside of 285

Moved to beautiful Lawrenceville GA in April from NJ.
Thing I learned in my house hunting was
Stay outside of the perimeter. The perimeter is 285. It runs a circle around Atlanta. All the towns inside the perimeter tend to be congested and more expensive. Some VERY expensive for GA prices. I'm not saying all,but majority are priced high due to the location to the city.
Start looking at towns just outside 285 and move outward depending on your need to live close to Atlanta. We started looking on the West side (Woodstock, Marietta), thought we found a house (older than we'd like). Our realtor brought us over to Lawrenceville (NorthEast of Atlanta) and that was all it took. Lawrenceville is just starting to feel the sprawl. We found 2600sq house 12 years old in a Culdesac community for 180K 3/4 acre lot. Unheard of in NJ.
I suggest staying outside of the Perimeter. Although there are some beautiful communities there, it's a mess in there. just my 2cents
Weather this year has the 4 seasons. It's been down to 25F i think this winter. Spring and Fall are beautiful. Summer is Hot! Summer Nights in Georgia are unbeatable. Nothing like a walk in the Georgia Summer Night!

Old 02-04-2007, 12:38 PM

12 posts, read 65,793 times
I am so scared! I bought a home in Douglas GA and should be moving in July. Initially i heard good things but GA but now i am not so sure, but what do i do now that i put a downpayment on a house? I have the house buiding and i should be doing the closing in March. Sometimes i hear it is a bad place to live and then i hear it is nice --- which is it really?

I guess i wont know till i move...but i cannot afford to make a mistake ..there is too much to give up for it.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:07 PM

91 posts, read 477,067 times
Default Have you ever been here?

thats the first question I have to ask.
Did they break ground yet?
You need to come down for a few days. Stay in a hotel close to your housing. Check it out.
I'd be a fool to give advice on your house contract and all. Real estate attorney would be best.
It's a big move. We were nervous too. We love it down here. The people are 100% nicer here than up in NJ.
There's all kinds of race down here. GA is the highest influx of ppl in the nation I think. Don't quote me on that.
I've seen every type of nationality.
Most of the crime is concentrated to certain areas. I wouldn't say it's widespread. For instance over on my side. Norcross is alway on the news for murders. It amazes me. Georgia is huge, so there's often plenty of distance between nbad area and good areas.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:39 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by figueroa26 View Post
I am so scared! I bought a home in Douglas GA and should be moving in July. Initially i heard good things but GA but now i am not so sure, but what do i do now that i put a downpayment on a house? I have the house buiding and i should be doing the closing in March. Sometimes i hear it is a bad place to live and then i hear it is nice --- which is it really?

I guess i wont know till i move...but i cannot afford to make a mistake ..there is too much to give up for it.
I don't know much about Douglas but since it is such a small town I would assume that you won't experience much crime or traffic. Really the things to worry about down there would be the heat in the summer and the lack of jobs. I'm assuming that if you are moving there you probably have something lined up so the job thing shouldn't be a problem, but that heat in the summer will kill you. I just hope your new home has central air.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:46 AM

88 posts, read 491,404 times
CityFan,

I understand where you are coming from with the strong structure of a home. Of course, i am not an expert, but I never understood why homes in the US were made with such materials that can be destroyed in the blank of a very strong wind. I am from the caribbean and am used to concrete homes. My husband is an engineer, he graduated from a university in the states, but himself, a native newyorker, could not understand why homes were made of sheetrock down in Fl for example. That is the reason why hurricanes keep hurting these citizens whenever there is a category 3 or 4. The builders really had it good. Now that they finally learned, people cannot afford reasonable square footage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia