Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 06:26 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,502,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
Augusta is a lot smaller than Atlanta, so of course you don't have the large number of immigrants and diversity that some of the larger cities do. I'm just saying the Atlanta area is not one of the most liberal places in the US, as one of the previous posters implied. Moderately liberal in the city itself yes, but not as liberal as several other US cities. And you can believe the PTC city story or not, look it up in the city records if you want, I was there. I am very well traveled by the way. I have seen several gay couples holding hands in the Raleigh Durham area. Durham has several lesbian clubs and Raleigh has several gay clubs. When I was in Carrboro, I noticed several lesbian and gay couples walking around and they did not recieve any harrasment, so that answers your question. As I mentioned I have been to many parts of the US, as well as Cuba, the Bahamas, Canada, and several other places. My personal impression of the Atlanta has been that while some areas of the city itself had a liberal vibe, the metro area as a whole did not.

Well of course Metro Atlanta aren't going to be as liberal as city proper Atlanta. I'd say it's pretty mixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 08:56 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
I guess you can't help being jealous and/or ludicrous. Besides, if Augusta was so "liberal', wouldn't the government be alot less corrupt?? Wouldn't you see a lot of gays holding hands, without being harassed?? I'm not talking about one either. Wouldn't you see a lot of culturally diversity (it's just black and white in Augusta, and they seem to not get along at all). You don't see many Korean immigrants moving to Augusta. You don't see many European immigrants moving to Augusta. You don't see many Mexican immigrants moving to Augusta. And wouldn't there be a large variety of religious establishments?? I don't a Hindu temple in Augusta. I don't see a Buddhist temple in Augusta. I don't see a Scientology church in Augusta. Yep, shows how Augusta is far more liberal than Atlanta. You people need to get out more, instead of staying in your little Barbie world. Oh, and if it got national attention, I'm sure you have a link to it.
Are you kidding? What does a liberal goverment have to do with being less corrupt and Im a democrat. New Jersey is about as corrupt as any state in america and is run by dems. Atlanta in total numbers of course will have more immigrants than Augusta. If you look at percentages Augusta has asians, hispanics etc. Go to Grovetown, stonegate, valley park and say Augusta doesn't have many mexican immigrants. Go look at the I-20/520 project being built and see all the mexicans for yourself. Atlanta black population in the city has gotten in the 70's and has stayed in the 60's forever. It seems the white & black people in Atlanta don't get along at all. That's why white flight is a bigger problem in Atlanta than Augusta. The highest the black pop has gotten in Augusta is 53-54%. Never once has Augusta been 55% black or higher like Atlanta has been for decades.

And?
[SIZE=3]Hindu Temple Society of Augusta - Home[/SIZE]

The only two buddhist temples in GA are in Augusta and Decatur
[SIZE=3]Center Profile: Wat Santidham[/SIZE]

http://people.unt.edu/~joy/kpy/TemplesUSA.htm#Georgia

There is also a scientolgy church in West Augusta/Martinez. Augusta has muslim, pagan, sikh & other's.

Last edited by nortonguy; 02-07-2009 at 09:20 AM..

Old 02-07-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Are you kidding? What does a liberal goverment have to do with being less corrupt and Im a democrat. New Jersey is about as corrupt as any state in america and is run by dems. Atlanta in total numbers of course will have more immigrants than Augusta. If you look at percentages Augusta has asians, hispanics etc. Go to Grovetown, stonegate, valley park and say Augusta doesn't have many mexican immigrants. Go look at the I-20/520 project being built and see all the mexicans for yourself. Atlanta black population in the city has gotten in the 70's and has stayed in the 60's forever. It seems the white & black people in Atlanta don't get along at all. That's why white flight is a bigger problem in Atlanta than Augusta. The highest the black pop has gotten in Augusta is 53-54%. Never once has Augusta been 55% black or higher like Atlanta has been for decades.

And?
[SIZE=3]Hindu Temple Society of Augusta - Home[/SIZE]

The only two buddhist temples in GA are in Augusta and Decatur
[SIZE=3]Center Profile: Wat Santidham[/SIZE]

http://people.unt.edu/~joy/kpy/TemplesUSA.htm#Georgia

There is also a scientolgy church in West Augusta/Martinez. Augusta has muslim, pagan, sikh & other's.
Where were you when yous aw this in Atlanta?? I saw none of that. Some of you people are so biased.

Who said Augusta didn't have Asians or hispanics?? I just said Augusta was largely black and white. Duh.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:39 PM

Someone, please close this thread.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:33 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,858,147 times
The entire premise of this thread is ludicrous.. amazing it has this many replies.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:48 PM

66 posts, read 208,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellsou View Post
I live in Raleigh, north carolina and have spent time in both cities. In the last couple of year's Augusta seems to be getting more liberal than Atlanta. While visiting, talking with locals, and going out while being there. I'm including the suburbs of both cities into the equation. Recently I spent 2 weeks in Atlanta and a week in Augusta.

When did Augusta become liberal than Atlanta? Or do you still think Atlanta is the most liberal city in GA?
Fort Valley should own that title. It maybe small but Fort Valley State is a very liberal University

Old 10-15-2017, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 731 times
This super liberal baby boomer is thinking of retiring in Augusta. Maybe I can help turn Georgia blue like I did in the 90s in Virginia with Webb and Kaine.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:34 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,102,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Get back to me when same-sex couples can walk hand in hand in Cameron Village, 5 Points and Downtown Chapel Hill! I'm gay, a pretty big guy, and I would NEVER attempt it. Ditto for Augusta and Richmond.

If you reread my post, I never mentioned Miami - that one is a no brainer.

Virginia-Highland, Decatur and L5P are more than fairly liberal. These are VERY liberal areas, among some of the most liberal in the Southeast.

Carrboro may have a gay mayor - that does NOT make it a liberal place overall. As far as Raleigh, Durham and Richmond - just plain no.

Voting for Obama does not equate to someone being a liberal. He got over 90% of the black vote, which is historically very conservative on social issues. Doesn't mean the areas that voted for him trend liberal.

One more thing - if the outskirts of Atlanta are as conservative as you claim they are, how do gay bars thrive in such areas as Tucker and Marietta?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
If Augusta is more liberal than Atlanta, then why does Augusta not even have a Gay pride festival or gay parade?
The city won't even allow an adult bookstore to open in a mostly industrial area (the owners are fighting the city in court and will probably win). I've lived in Augusta most of my life and like living here, but it is still very much a bible belt southern city with very conservative values. Augusta votes democratic in most statewide and presidential elections because the city is slightly majority black and very much a blue collar city...two groups that reliably vote democrat.. but on social issues these same people tend to be very conservative.
This needs to be pointed out more often. A city with a black majority may go democratic, but that definitely does not necessarily mean conservative. As a black Maconite, I know here in Macon, the democratic voting black majority is still extremely conservative socially.

Much of the conversation is still "So, what church do you go to?" or being more concerned with "Praying the gay away" than rights for the LGBT community.

The black community here is so socially conservative a lot of people even have "strong opinions" about the way different denominations of the church hold service.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:18 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
This is one of the most bizarre threads I've perused on the Georgia forum.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:25 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is one of the most bizarre threads I've perused on the Georgia forum.
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia