Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2009, 08:02 PM

841 posts, read 1,402,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyarmonG View Post
this is a hotspot area the area is growing into each other. Warner Robins have annexed into peach county so has perry. Fort Valley has also started growing into Macon County towards marshallville. Marshallville students now attend high school in Fort Valley not Macon County high in Montezuma because its a lot closer. Byron is growing into Houston County. Cities in this area does annex into other counties. I don't know about the rest of the state other than Atlanta when it comes to this issue.
Thats exactly right, Yes Macon is also growing to north toward Forsyth/Monroe county and South toward Byron and W.Robins, also W.Robins is growing toward Macon/Bibb county as well...This is a Hotspot and the area is growing into each other.... kinda a very low scale version of what has happen in the Atlanta area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 08:24 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Explain Kansas City for me then does it lies in Kansas or Mossuri looks like both to me if you look at a map
I believe Kansas City, KS and Kansas City, MO are two separate cities with their own governments.

Kansas City, Missouri: pop 475,830, Mayor Mark Funkhouser
Kansas City, Kansas: pop 146,866, Mayor/CEO Joe Reardon

Old 03-10-2009, 08:59 PM

66 posts, read 208,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
No that info is correct. Macon msa is 230,000 people. Warner robins was apart of Macon msa in 2000 so naturally its going to be lower now. Since warner robins has its own metro area. Warner robins is in Macon's CSA not MSA.
Technicolly Warner Robins isn't its own metro last i remembered its still called the Macon Metro. Are you just looking at the population of Warner Robins and Macon or the entire Metro. Add Dublin, Perry, Fort Valley, and Byron to that if your just looking at Macon and Warner Robins. Its a really large Metro area if you are looking land wise bigger than that of Augusta/Richmond County and Columbus/Muscogee county

Old 03-10-2009, 09:30 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,241,620 times
Quote:
Technicolly Warner Robins isn't its own metro last i remembered its still called the Macon Metro. . . . .

incorrect.

warner robins is defined as a single metropolitan statistical area, seaparate from macon.

macon and warner robins together form the Macon/WR Combined Statistical Area.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:19 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northfielder View Post
Cities also don't typically 'annex' into neighboring COUNTIES either !!
Ahem. Ever heard of a little place named ATLANTA? Its city limits are in both Fulton and DeKalb counties.

Huntsville, Alabama and neighboring Decatur, Alabama, stretch into their neighboring county.

Cities CAN be in more than one county.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Ahem. Ever heard of a little place named ATLANTA? Its city limits are in both Fulton and DeKalb counties.

Huntsville, Alabama and neighboring Decatur, Alabama, stretch into their neighboring county.

Cities CAN be in more than one county.

the quote was "Cities also don't typically 'annex' into neighboring COUNTIES either !!"

I think its safe to say that is a true statement.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:51 AM

20 posts, read 58,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
the quote was "Cities also don't typically 'annex' into neighboring COUNTIES either !!"

I think its safe to say that is a true statement.

Thanks for underscoring my ORIGINAL statement of what is clearly CORRECT ! I SAID they don't 'typically' annex, thanks for reading
my statement as it was written---it's good to see that some people
do read and comprehend what they read !

Another way I could have said it ws that cities don't 'usually' annex
into another county, and they certainly don't typically annex into
another county when the 'other county' has a strong commission
form of government, and strong infrastructure and services in place,
or have a strong balance sheet, and tax BASE.

Last edited by Northfielder; 03-11-2009 at 11:02 AM..

Old 03-12-2009, 12:13 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
All you folks arguing between Columbus, Macon and Augusta make me laugh. Each has its pros and cons, but all are nice southern cities that are totally overshadowed by big brother Atlanta. If I had a say, I would rather see Atlanta's growth slow some and more if it siphoned off to the other cities.

Chattanooga should be considered when listing metro populations in Georgia as a good chunk of it -- Catoosa, Dade and Walker counties to be specific -- are Georgia counties.

2000 Census 2007 estimate
Chattanooga MSA: 476,631 514,568
Chattanooga/Cleveland/Athens CSA: 629,561 677,820
Chattanooga MSA in Georgia: 129,489 142,893

Those of you clamoring for 2nd largest metro area in Georgia need to heed Chattanooga for if you count the CSA statistics, the second largest CSA in Georgia is actually Chattanooga. If you don't want to consider it, then don't count South Carolina populations for Augusta or Alabama statstics for Columbus.

There could be an argument for Dalton to be part of a Chattanooga CSA as well.

2000 Census 2007 estimate
Dalton MSA: 120,561 134,043

Adding the Dalton MSA (Murray and Whitfield counties) to that group would boost the population (and the Georgia portion) quite a bit, a CSA of over 800,000 with over a third of that in the state of Georgia. Dalton makes good sense to be in the CSA as it is only 36 miles from Chattanooga compared to Athens, TN which is in the CSA currently but is 56 miles from Chattanooga

I have no attachment to any of these areas personally, just throwing a monkey wrench into the schemes of all those posturing for second place.

Last edited by Saintmarks; 03-12-2009 at 12:39 AM..

Old 03-12-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
There could be an argument for Dalton to be part of a Chattanooga CSA as well.
what is the argument?

do you have some statistics that would support the claim based on the set CSA criteria? proximity alone does not create a combined area, by the way.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:54 AM

1,303 posts, read 3,858,147 times
You make some very good points Marks...
I am pretty sure that Dalton will be considered part of Chattanooga's MSA in the near future...
Savannah also always gets shortchanged by the metro statistics. For some reason Hilton Head and Beufort do not get counted into savannah's statistics.. even though Savannah's airport is even called the Savannah-Hilton Head airport.. I mean if Aiken, SC is counted in Augusta's MSA and Auburn-Opelika is counted in Columbus', then naturally wouldn't Hilton Head be lumped in with Savannah's. If it was then I believe the Savannah CSA would surpass Augusta. But you are right about Chattanooga.
In any case I also made the point that all of these second tier cities are really very similar in regards to size, economies, quality of life etc (Well Savannah does sort of stand out as being a major tourist destination which the others are not)..In any case they are all overshadowed by Atlanta and will never come close to being as big as Atlanta. It would be nice if there could be more growth dispersed across the state.. like you see in North Carolina, but I'm just not sure that will ever happen. Maybe if an intestate connected Columbus, macon and Augusta and Savannah to Augusta this could happen to some degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia