Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 04:36 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,241,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
Can you "please" explain how something that will create lots of jobs in this economy NOT good? and why it would not change the way people commute? You are not making any sense.....is it because you don't agree with how its going to funded or do you just disagree with it all together. INSIGHT PLEASE....
well. . . . .

as an employer, i expect a return on my investment in my employees (their paycheck). which means i expect to make money off the work they do.

with this rail situation, i don't see us ever recovering the investment from ridership fees.

as for changing how people commute; a high speed rail from columbus, or any town in georgia, to atlanta isn't going to do much good for anyone who's job is within 30 miles or so, unless they just happen to work in a town up the rail line.

this isn't marta; there aren't going to be stations all over town. this is a point-to-point rail system taking you from one city to another.

that was easier than you though, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 07:26 PM

970 posts, read 2,951,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
LAW OF PHYSICS REVIEW:
Lowest friction, lowest cost - cheapest transportation: water (slow)
Next lowest friction, moderate cost - steel wheel on steel rail (slow to fast)

Before "cheap and plentiful petroleum" there were boats and railroads. And for good reason.

Rubber tire on pavement is actually a big loser, physics wise. And ultimately unsustainable. Automobiles (even electric / hybrids) depend on petroleum for synthetic rubber tires, plastics, fabrics, lubrication and asphalt pavement. It is the height of folly to consume a resource in 200 years that took over 60 million years to produce. Our descendants will be wroth with us!

All modes of transportation that are dependent upon petroleum will become progressively more expensive - with air travel at greatest risk. (No substitute for jet fuel on the horizon)

MAG LEV does offer higher energy efficiency than steel wheel on steel rail - except that building the infrastructure offsets that efficiency by many orders of magnitude. We should endeavor to make mag lev far cheaper before embarking on any plans to build it.

The best overall compromise is to build high speed RAIL utilizing existing rights of way, and incrementally building true high performance tracks. Which will require electrification (which will reduce diesel consumption) of the mainline tracks.

The FACTS:
USA imports 70% of its petroleum consumption.
If that is stopped, for whatever reason, the nation is crippled. Mechanized farming is affected. Famine is a real possibility. Distribution of goods and services by diesel truck and diesel rail will be cut by 70% or more. More pain and suffering.

OPTIONS:
[] Cut diesel consumption
1. Transfer long haul cargo to rail
2. Electrify mainline railroads
3. Rebuild urban railroads (Streetcars, etc)
4. Add catenary power grid for trolley buses
5. Superinsulate houses to reduce fuel oil consumption (space heating)
[] Cut gasoline consumption
6. See #3,4, for replacements for private automobiles
7. compound gyrocopters for general aviation
Ok, but the reality:

*You can't mag-lev to work
*You can't mag-lev to the store
*You can't mag-lev to the mall

See where I'm going with this?

Boondoggle.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:30 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Ok, but the reality:

Boondoggle.
Vactrains really suck!
Vactrain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-02-2009, 02:40 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,449,392 times
No rail lines at ALL into Tennessee or Arizona? Two fast-growing states with major growing cities and population centers?

That's wack.

And a rail line into central Arkansas and Little Rock? And Oklahoma City/Tulsa?? But no Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville/Chattanooga, Phoenix or Tucson? Strange.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:19 PM

66 posts, read 208,890 times
The only problem i see with arizona is forclosures and the issue with the border how would arizona have a budget for a high speed rail line if its having trouble controlling it's border. you have a point with tennesee and arkansas isn't all that populas unless your talkin about running a line from little rock straight to dallas and fort worth

Old 04-07-2009, 01:25 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyarmonG View Post
The only problem i see with arizona is forclosures and the issue with the border how would arizona have a budget for a high speed rail line if its having trouble controlling it's border. you have a point with tennesee and arkansas isn't all that populas unless your talkin about running a line from little rock straight to dallas and fort worth
Border security is a Federal responsibility. Arizona has nothing to do with "controlling it's border."

Phoenix metro has over 4 million people now, Tucson is booming and there is a need to connect both to SoCal by rail.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:28 PM

66 posts, read 208,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Ok, but the reality:

Boondoggle.
i think you can if the line are ment for big cities that means the lines proly closer to the there downtowns. i remember last time i've road an amtrak from richmond to atlanta amtrack wasnt far from downtown. unless your just to lasy to walk. If there in smaller cities thats were you have a points the lines are more closer to the city limits than they are to there downtowns

Old 04-09-2009, 08:59 AM

970 posts, read 2,951,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyarmonG View Post
i think you can if the line are ment for big cities that means the lines proly closer to the there downtowns. i remember last time i've road an amtrak from richmond to atlanta amtrack wasnt far from downtown. unless your just to lasy to walk. If there in smaller cities thats were you have a points the lines are more closer to the city limits than they are to there downtowns
I'm not sure you followed what I was saying.....

Old 10-18-2009, 06:03 PM

594 posts, read 3,437,011 times
Why does columbus georgia always have to be the one that misses out on these kinds of things.Columbus is the third largest in georgia in population the city may not look like a metro with that many because of the poor roads and highways we have but we have that many people.And also why is columbus the one that always gets the crumbs of the money it seems all the money goes to atlanta but atlanta is not the only city in georgia seeing the growth either.In my opionion columbus georgia is the 2nd city behind atlanta seeing the most growth in georgia and the number one reason is because of brac relocating here thats suppose to be bringing an additonal 30,000 people to the area.But i think I know what the problem is its called favortism atlanta is favoring and spoiling these other cities like macon and augusta and savvanah and not even caring about columbus like columbus is not even there.But thats fine dont care because we will do it on our on columbus has just started up a one percent sales tax that will be bringing millions of dollars to our city a year for projects and highways and roads and other things also. hahaha Now what do you have to say about that.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:33 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,241,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam 5 View Post
Now what do you have to say about that.
I'd say columbus leadership needs to do a better job of lobbying the politicians in atlanta.

I know valdosta puts on a big banquet every year, in atlanta, and hosts state reps to talk about what they think valdosta needs from atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia