Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 08:42 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,733 times

Advertisements

Makes perfect sense. Kinda like, where I grew up, Norfolk is the hub city of the area and feels like it even though Virginia Beach is the largest city in the state (and, for a time, was actually larger than Atlanta proper) but feels mostly like one huge suburb.

I've only been to Savannah once, and that was for a funeral. I haven't been to or through Augusta or Columbus in years. I'm interested to go back down there to see for myself how much they've changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 11:56 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,242,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
This list is group by pop not by size...... In size, Macon is much larger than Athens, Roswell and Sandy Springs ......
using that logic, jacksonville, fl, is the largest city in america.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:39 PM

726 posts, read 2,819,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
using that logic, jacksonville, fl, is the largest city in america.
That true because Jackson ville is consolidated with the county, but economically, its not....

In Macon case vs Sandy springs, Roswell, and Marietta..... Its the Hub city for most of Central Ga, rich is history and wholes it's own... the others are nothing more than over populated suburb of Atlanta. Take away Atlanta and they would be nothing more than small Ga towns, if that... To be honest Sandy springs just became a city a couple of years an area in which Atlanta was fighting to annex.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:18 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,623,275 times
Quote:
That true because Jackson ville is consolidated with the county, but economically, its not....

In Macon case vs Sandy springs, Roswell, and Marietta..... Its the Hub city for most of Central Ga, rich is history and wholes it's own... the others are nothing more than over populated suburb of Atlanta. Take away Atlanta and they would be nothing more than small Ga towns, if that... To be honest Sandy springs just became a city a couple of years an area in which Atlanta was fighting to annex.

That's true to an extent. I'm from Marietta and Marietta hasn't boomed like Roswell and Sandy Springs. If Marietta incorporated some of the Cobb County zip codes that uses Marietta as its city, then there would easily be 250,000 to 300,000 people living there.

Marietta also has history and a famous downtown square.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
That's true to an extent. I'm from Marietta and Marietta hasn't boomed like Roswell and Sandy Springs. If Marietta incorporated some of the Cobb County zip codes that uses Marietta as its city, then there would easily be 250,000 to 300,000 people living there.

Marietta also has history and a famous downtown square.
Yeah thats true but not to the extent of DT Macon history.... Also as I previous Mentioned Marietta/Cobb county and others can thank Atlanta for it huge pop.... Because with out Atlanta none its suburbs would be what they are to day.....Atlanta is the driving force.... take it away and it would be like pulling the power......

Old 09-01-2009, 04:45 PM

I think in the next 20 years that Roswell, Sandy Springs, and John Creeks will be larger than Augusta and Columbus too. They are not the main city in the area but only metro Atlanta cities are growing. The rest is pretty Stagnant besides Athens.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I think in the next 20 years that Roswell, Sandy Springs, and John Creeks will be larger than Augusta and Columbus too. They are not the main city in the area but only metro Atlanta cities are growing. The rest is pretty Stagnant besides Athens.
Well Roswell, Sandy Springs and John Creek are technically not larger than Macon, Augusta ,Columbus or even Athens...or ever will be. They are just small towns or suburbs with large populations because because of Atlanta's growth... They will never be a stand along city as Macon, Augusta or Columbus because of Atlanta.....They will always be viewed as over populated suburbs unless ATL falls off the map. Also Macon is in the process of Consolidating as Columbus, Augusta and Athens has done, after that passes Macon's pop would increase to about 155-160K.....

Old 09-01-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Well Roswell, Sandy Springs and John Creek are technically not larger than Macon, Augusta ,Columbus or even Athens...or ever will be. They are just small towns or suburbs with large populations because because of Atlanta's growth... They will never be a stand along city as Macon, Augusta or Columbus because of Atlanta.....They will always be viewed as over populated suburbs unless ATL falls off the map. Also Macon is in the process of Consolidating as Columbus, Augusta and Athens has done, after that passes Macon's pop would increase to about 155-160K.....
The actual city sizes of Roswell, Sandy Springs, and John Creeks are smaller land wise, but city sizes are determined by population. I never liked it too much either. That's why Charlotte is bigger than Atlanta on paper but in reality we know which one is the larger city...I see your point.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:37 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,198,865 times
Quote:
Sandy Springs is not a "small town" with it's population of around 100,000 people. Roswell isn't quite as big or urban, but also has a population of around 100,000 people. Johns Creek is very suburban, again with a population of nearly 85,000 people. None is even close to a "small town." You didn't even mention Milton or Alpharetta.

Does this look like a small town? This is Sandy Springs.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Sandy Springs is not a "small town" with it's population of around 100,000 people. Roswell isn't quite as big or urban, but also has a population of around 100,000 people. Johns Creek is very suburban, again with a population of nearly 85,000 people. None is even close to a "small town." You didn't even mention Milton or Alpharetta.

Does this look like a small town? This is Sandy Springs.
NO it LOOKs LIKE ATLANTA............................ And that's all it will be even known as and never a stand along city. Also if someone that is not from Atlanta, drivesor travels through this area and someone calls them on the phone and ask"where are you, the first thing that comes out is; I'm in Atlanta"........ NOT sandy springs................

Last edited by yerocal; 09-01-2009 at 07:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia