Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 04:07 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,643,483 times

Advertisements

Pretty sure Columbus didn't lose 3000+ people, if anything it gained that from BRAC. It's not long before it is over the 200k mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 04:41 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times
You guys realize that you both used the Business Journal as a source right?

Old 08-07-2012, 04:46 PM

934 posts, read 1,346,234 times
Come back when Columbus metro is comparable to Augusta's. Columbia County grows to 132,000 and Aiken County grows 160,000 population. Most of whom still shop in Augusta even thought Evans, Martinez has just as much retail as Columbus.

Last edited by River_Dawg; 08-07-2012 at 05:10 PM..

Old 08-07-2012, 07:28 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,911,505 times
This is the new decade I have been telling people about. Augusta, the city has struggled true, but its suburban counties are very strong, and to be honest have kept Augusta up during the worst times. I mean Aiken County is 20,000 people smaller than Columbus and Columbia County is about the same away form Macon-Bibb County and they are the third and fourth largest cities in the state. The bottom line is not to bash any cities, as I have posted before, we should be helping each other out to help pull away from the sprawl of Atlanta, but the secret to a growing MSA, is the supporting suburban counties. Augusta has had it's bad times and declines but the MSA continued to grow and expand. Now that the city and area are experiencing a building spree with the Georgia Regents, Fort Gordon, Plant Vogtle and the approved TSPLOST and other projects, you will see a shift in the population trends in Georgia. If and when Columbus takes over the number two spot all it will be is another Jacksonville Fl, I mean really is the Jacksonville area bigger than Tampa, certainly not. Columbus needs its neighboring counties to really speed up to help it out.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:43 PM

For example if Burke County were to have a boom era because of the nuclear plant expansion and was adding new homes, shopping centers and more jobs, Richmond County may lose population. The same thing happened a decade ago with Columbia County, taking population and eventually business away from Augusta. Augusta has regain what it had lost and population and she is back to her original size and strength before the migration. The passing of the TSPLOST will only enforce the regionalism that the CSRA has already adopted.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:04 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times
[quote=River_Dawg;25528976]Come back when Columbus metro is comparable to Augusta's. Columbia County grows to 132,000 and Aiken County grows 160,000 population. Most of whom still shop in Augusta even thought Evans, [B]Martinez has just as much retail as Columbus.[[/b]/QUOTE]

I was taking you serious until you said that. Let's not get carried away although Martinez may be comparable to Phenix City.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:06 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg;25532918[B
]For example if Burke County were to have a boom era because of the nuclear plant expansion and was adding new homes, shopping centers and more jobs, Richmond County may lose population. The same thing happened a decade ago with Columbia County, taking population and eventually business away from Augusta. Augusta has regain what it had lost and population and she is back to her original size and strength before the migration. The passing of the TSPLOST will only enforce the regionalism that the CSRA has already adopted.
I don't really understand the back to original size and strength comment.. Compared to even five years ago tons of additional developments have opened... Were definitely moved on past the original strengths(Costco, Starbucks, Rural Sourcing, Rockwood, ESI, expanded Augusta mall, etc).. I know you don't live here anymore, and can't keep up with all of the developments.. But I don't ever remember having the chance to have four hotels every construction at the same time.. Home2 Suites by Hilton & Hampton Inn are underway, Residents Inn by Marriott was approved on 7/12/2012, and the Holiday Inn Express is supposed to break ground downtown this year..

You can't compare the ongoing/future commercial developments in Richmond County versus the previous decade... The Village at Riverwatch, Augusta Exchange, Walmart on Wrightsboro rd, Wheeler Town Park, 25 acre shopping center/10k sq. ft. Shoppes at Dyess Park, Walmart neighborhood Market on 15th street, purchasing of the Regal Village theatre, etc is more than Aiken, Columbia, Edgefield, Burke, etc combined..

Burke County will definitely grow due to the Plant Vogtle Expansion.. But you can't compare the amount of ongoing/future housing developments in Richmond County versus the previous decade... Places like South Augusta are growing now this decade..

Last edited by nortonguy; 08-07-2012 at 10:47 PM..

Old 08-07-2012, 10:19 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,643,483 times
[quote=cdw1084;25533121]
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
Come back when Columbus metro is comparable to Augusta's. Columbia County grows to 132,000 and Aiken County grows 160,000 population. Most of whom still shop in Augusta even thought Evans, [B]Martinez has just as much retail as Columbus.[[/b]/QUOTE]

I was taking you serious until you said that. Let's not get carried away although Martinez may be comparable to Phenix City.
I agree, it's comical.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Since all of the estimates show Augusta is growing(some more than others) I would say were pass the original size and strength.. I know you don't live here anymore, and can't keep up with all of the developments.. But I don't ever remember having the chance to have four hotels every construction at the same time..
Yes in population but Augusta had two large malls at one point in time, Crystal River Water Park and Fort Discovery. We must revive the Regency property, build up our tourism and attraction department.

Quote:
You can't compare the ongoing/future commercial developments in Richmond County versus the previous decade...
The previous decade developments paved the way for our ongoing/future developments and so on so forth. The Village at Riverwatch development would make Edgefield and Aiken County attractive to more and more residents even thought its in Richmond County.

Quote:
Burke County will definitely grow due to the Plant Vogtle Expansion.. But you can't compare the amount of ongoing/future housing developments in Richmond County versus the previous decade... Places like South Augusta are growing now this decade..
South Augusta has been growing the last 2 decades, it the largest community in Augusta. Windsor Spring, Tobacco Rd and Willis Foreman were mostly wooded 20 years ago. Once again the more commercial developments pop up in South Augusta/Hephzibah the more encouraged the masses are to move further out into Burke County.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:31 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
The majority of the new commercial is located in West Augusta, and it's probably the 1st or 2nd fastest growing area based on percentages.. The Village at Riverwatch might increase the attractiveness of North Augusta & Edgefield, but they won't grow faster than West Augusta.. The Village at Riverwatch is suppose to include new residential..

I don't know why you're still trying to compare the previous decades... South Augusta might have been growing, but it didn't have the upscale apartment developments(one is coming very soon) similar to West Augusta.. South Augusta needs to continue building new housing, and then large commercial centers will start popping up..

We had two large malls, but no vibrant Artist Row along Broad street downtown, no promenade section at the Augusta mall, Costco at Village at Riverwatch, Carmax at Wheeler Town Park, expansion around Augusta Exchange, expanded Sams, etc... Krystal Water park was located in Evans, and closed because the owner couldn't afford the new insurance cost... The Fort Discovery building close due to lack of state funding, and somebody purchased the building recently...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia