Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 12:27 PM

4 posts, read 38,029 times

Advertisements

I recently (March) made a visit for business to Georgia and spent a number of hours out-n-about the area outside Atlanta (Norcross) in restaurants and shops.

There was one thing that was consistant from the conversation in the shuttle, to the socializing at the table in restaurants. It's not as welcoming as people have said.

Sure it may be changing but our table, (the yankees we are) was the most diverse in the entire place. We went to a very large and popular restaurant and out of every single lunch crowd we were one of only 3 tables that were not racially identical.

I was raised to never see color and it has never played a part in who I befriend or date or any other decision. So I was very uncomfortable and very disappointed.

I want to move to Georgia but I was surprised that it wasn't the white people who were most rude to me... it was the other cultures. Unfortunately they are the ones I prefer to socialize with as well.

So is there anywhere in Georgia (atlanta area) where this is not the case or am I just going to have to wait another 20 years??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 02:23 PM

84 posts, read 441,960 times
I am surprised that if you were raised to "not see color" that you specifically noticed the racial makeup of strangers at restaurant tables and that you prefer to socialize with "other" cultures. I mean, if you are color blind and it has never played a part in who you are, date or befriend, why differentiate between cultures you "prefer to socialize with"? Why not relate to each person as an individual instead of as someone who is part of a particular group?

If you are such a tolerant, color-blind person, what about the racial make-up of tables could possibly make you "uncomfortable". Additionally, if white people were nice to you, what is wrong with that? Would it be so terrible if you had to have Saturday night dinner with Caucasians?

Perhaps you are not as tolerant as you believe. At what age did your ability to "not see color" change and what caused this obvious shift?

Old 05-27-2007, 04:01 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
I must state some confusion here also Maggie.
Atlanta and most of all Norcross not diverse???

I can correct a couple things. I notice the author is from Frederick, Maryland, and talking about diversity

Being one who grew up about 35 miles southwest of good ole' Fredneck, Maryland I can tell ya that Norcross, GA and for that matter Georgia in general wins the diversity contest hands down.

Frederick is not not diverse, it can also be described as rather single minded.
Of course, lets not forget about Frederick County Maryland as the home of America's largest chapter of the White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:42 PM

111 posts, read 867,393 times
I'M . SO . TIRED . OF . THE . DIVERSITY . PARANOIA .

I haven't visited any of the other state forums. Are the other state forums inundated with people obsessed with "diversity"? Honestly, I'm tired of the preconceptions of people who've either never been to GA or have only visited in an isolated area for a finite time period. We're normal folks down here. I promise we're not waiting at the state line with a noose.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:43 PM

4 posts, read 38,029 times
Oh yeah no don't get me wrong. It's one of the reasons I want out of this area. I wanted to find something more tolerant than Fred-neck (that's funny you know that). I'm originally from New York City as well so try going from NY to Thurmont... CULTURE SHOCK!!!!! LOL

Anyway. It just really bothered me that for the first time, I felt like I was on the other end of the minority and no one wanted to talk to me. Even my girlfriend whom I was there noticed it. Thankfully even mentioned it first because I thought it was in my head.

And the shuttle driver... I mean really... he was all kinds of off the fence. *sigh* I'm just feeling trapped in this hell hole redneck town and scared to move backwards.

I'm a single mom and don't want my daughter to grow up ending up sucked in by the "scene" her father lives. Redneck and racist.

Any suggestions? Even if not in GA.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:02 PM

3 posts, read 16,198 times
The attitude in Atlanta is poor. Bill Cosby tried to address this, but was met with great resistance by the majority of listeners. The traditionally Black institutions of higher learning have instilled many false notions in their students for several generations now, so we continue to mistrust and misunderstand. In Atlanta, the things that bring people together the most (not artificial, temporary things like organized walks and outdoor concerts) are money, greed and drugs. You will hear lots of nonsense about spiritual beliefs and such, but don't believe it. Atlanta is made up of many kinds of people--including many well-meaning people--but they have very little in common...and care even less.
I suggest you try a smaller city or town, preferably one with a more highly-educated general populace or with small-town or old-fashioned values. Don't make the mistake of thinking that small-town/old-fashioned values necessitate racism. If anything, people in such towns are much more likely to take others on an individual basis. If you want to be relatively near Atlanta, I'd suggest Athens.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:06 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Tori View Post
I was raised to never see color ...

I want to move to Georgia but I was surprised that it wasn't the white people who were most rude to me... it was the other cultures. Unfortunately they are the ones I prefer to socialize with as well.
Well, you know, the fact that you say that you "prefer to socialize with other cultures" other than white MIGHT to some, sound racist. It means (or at least sounds like to some) that you are going out of your way to pick *certain* colors/cultures to hang out with, and avoiding whites.

You'll see a lot of "self-segregation" here. Whites will tend to seek out whites, however on the flip side blacks will also self-segregate and seek out blacks as well. Maybe it's a Southern thing, whatever, but yes, it does happen. It doesn't necessarily mean everyone hates everyone else - it's a case of "old habits dying hard".

If you have a loud voice and a strong Northern accent, then you'll more likely find more prejudice in some areas here from Southerns who will give you the "damn Yankee" attitude (more out in the far burbs), than you will color though, unless you're obnoxious in general in which case they'll use anything you've got against you in the way of their opinion of you then (color, accent, if you're a midget, etc etc etc).

Old 05-27-2007, 11:10 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livylee View Post
The attitude in Atlanta is poor. Bill Cosby tried to address this, but was met with great resistance by the majority of listeners. .
Yeah, I saw his full speech on TV when he started that. I believe it was at a college. The second he said the black community today is responsible for a majority of the problems they face today, the whole room of us went, "Ohhhhh hell... he's gonna get it now". And - he did. That is one truth here - the whole "personal responsibility" thing hasn't quite been instilled in a majority of kids. Shame.

Regardless, I think that while the metro area is very self-segregating, it's also overall more tolerant than many other areas. Many big cities have areas that if you are the wrong color and walk down the street you will quite literally get shot at. That's pretty much not the case here anywhere, although you can go through entire white areas and never see a black person, or likewise go through whole section of the city and see no whites at all.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:46 PM

6 posts, read 19,090 times
My husband and I moved to Georgia from the Seattle area almost 5 years ago. I can tell you hands down (race and religion) play a major role here. Most try to hide it or say the " I am not racist, but" which means they are racist. I had never in my life experienced any problems with racism living back home. Not to say there were no racist just so few that I never had an encounter with one.

My husband is black and I am white. We have been stared at, pointed at, and asked to leave some restraunts. My daughter at 4 years old and in pre-k came home telling me how her class was talking about how she is black and they are white, etc. I have been called a n****r lover and my daughter has been called names. We have gone to car lots and homes and been treated poorly and heard comments as we left.

I orginally signed up to go to Fort Valley State University when I got here because it was such a great deal. It is a historically black college. My reception there went from outright hostility to being welcomed as any other student.

That said.... The majoritity of people are fine and are nice. I would say it is a 30/60 split (30% racist). About 5% id outright. It is worse if you are an interracial family. For us the worst of it is from black people, but it has come from both. Even in church. There are towns where race does not seem to come into play and towns where it does. There are towns who still have segregated proms and pictures in the year book under most likely .. etc. have both white and then black students.

I think the problem is everyone is so focused on diversity they are just widening the gap. Add that to the fact that some people still seem to be very bitter about things that happend 100+ years ago. It can be hard to let go of such a history as what had happened here. Both sides need to let go, but they will decide the timetable. The history here has some very low point, but some very proud and good points as well. Also, some of it is that some people still don't mix allot. I made a friend is school who had allot of misconceptions about black people. She was afraid to meet my family at first, but now her and her husband are our closest friends. So give some of them a chance. You can't expect everyones life experiences to be the same.

We live in on base at Robins just outside of Macon. The city here in Warner Robins is really mostly nice, and racism rarely comes outright. It does in some conversations, but mostly it is okay. I think the school systems are about average in this town. Some towns have great school systems, other are poor. You just have to look around.

I think if you don't worry about it you will be fine. I love Georgia for all the things there are to do. There is six flags, stone mountain, american adventures, white water, wild adventures, loads of nature centers, the High museum, science centers, museum of natural art and history, and just so very close to florida and all that you can do down there. There are allot of great things to take your kids too and the Atlanta Zoo is great. AFter you live here for awhile you won't notice it so much because you won't be so sensitive about everythign. Everywhere you go in the country is going to have its ups and downs. Pros and cons. I think the pros of living here greatly outweight the cons and it is worth it. And I have made some wonderful friends here. Some of the people are just like instand best friends. Very warm and friendly.

Oh, yeah and I almost forgot. I hope you like sweet tea! I swear they serve it everywhere!! I don't like tea much but my girls and my hubby absolutely love it.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:11 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Tori View Post
Oh yeah no don't get me wrong. It's one of the reasons I want out of this area. I wanted to find something more tolerant than Fred-neck (that's funny you know that). I'm originally from New York City as well so try going from NY to Thurmont... CULTURE SHOCK!!!!! LOL

Anyway. It just really bothered me that for the first time, I felt like I was on the other end of the minority and no one wanted to talk to me. Even my girlfriend whom I was there noticed it. Thankfully even mentioned it first because I thought it was in my head.

And the shuttle driver... I mean really... he was all kinds of off the fence. *sigh* I'm just feeling trapped in this hell hole redneck town and scared to move backwards.

I'm a single mom and don't want my daughter to grow up ending up sucked in by the "scene" her father lives. Redneck and racist.

Any suggestions? Even if not in GA.

Another angle to think is where you are from..... NYC
Atlanta metro is a very large city area and the fastest growing city area in the nation.

As with any big city, folks are going to a little less howdy doo than those in smaller locations. Also, with vast Diversity you have all the colors of the rainbow along with all the attitudes / personalities of the rainbow.

There has always been a misconception that only whites are racist and only whites that can be racist, which is about as far from the scene as one can get. Unfortunate, but racism exists in all cultures and colors and neither you nor I nor anyone can get around it.

Overall, for the Atlanta area I can state the following:
I have lived in many places over the past 15 years.
Philly, NYC area, Baltimore, Chicago, and now Atlanta.

Of all, you will not find a more integrated location than the Atlanta area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia