Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 06:36 PM

750 posts, read 643,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
It's so bizarre that if a man slaps his wife and hits her with a belt, it's domestic abuse and he can go to jail, but if she's a 17-year-old child it's totally fine and nobody's business.
Not bizarre at all.

You do not discipline your wife.

You discipline kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 08:28 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,703,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
Why is everyone saying the GF should not have disciplined the daughter?

I have def been disciplined by my grandparents on more than one occasion.

Young kids need to learn respect.
Discipline doesn't involve beating anyone.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Discipline doesn't involve beating anyone.
Who said anything about beating anyone? There is a difference between beating someone and normal parental discipline.

The Grandfather did not beat the girl. Slapping might be a tad much but it is nothing extreme or unheard of when you mouth off to your parents for grandparents. Belt is certainly normal disciplining.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:31 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,013 times
Quote:
Not bizarre at all.

You do not discipline your wife.

You discipline kids.
You don't discipline other people's kids.

WTF is wrong with people here? So many of you have your normal meters that are severely BROKEN!

No matter WHAT the daughter did, it is NOT her grandfather's place to hit her. This girl is 17, she's still a minor, she may think she's an adult but she's not. She may have made some bad choices, but hitting her does NOTHING to change that.

And now all she knows is that her father basically did nothing to protect her when her grandfather assaulted her.

Yes I think that 17 year old should be talked to and also her computer privileges revoked, but I also think grandfather should ALSO be cut out of their lives.

OP should apologize to his daughter as well for not protecting her against his abusive father.

If grandfather were a complete stranger who hit the 17 year old with a belt I bet people would be telling OP to call the police and so on, so why is the fact he's faaaaammmiiiillllyyyy (gag me) make a difference? Family should be held to a HIGHER standard than strangers.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Why is everyone saying the GF should not have disciplined the daughter?

I have def been disciplined by my grandparents on more than one occasion.

Young kids need to learn respect.
I'm sorry your parents let your grandparents beat you.

Here's some books it sounds like some people need to read really badly:

BOOKS ABOUT GASLIGHTING
In Sheep's Clothing: Understanding and Dealing with Manipulative People - George K. Simon Ph.D.
The Gaslight Effect: How to Spot and Survive the Hidden Manipulation Others Use to Control Your Life - Robin Stern

BOOKS ABOUT ABUSIVE PARENTS
Why Does He Do That?: Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men - Lundy Bancroft
The Father Factor: How Your Father's Legacy Impacts Your Career - Stephan B. Poulter

Old 04-17-2015, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
You don't discipline other people's kids.

WTF is wrong with people here? So many of you have your normal meters that are severely BROKEN!

No matter WHAT the daughter did, it is NOT her grandfather's place to hit her. This girl is 17, she's still a minor, she may think she's an adult but she's not. She may have made some bad choices, but hitting her does NOTHING to change that.

And now all she knows is that her father basically did nothing to protect her when her grandfather assaulted her.

Yes I think that 17 year old should be talked to and also her computer privileges revoked, but I also think grandfather should ALSO be cut out of their lives.

OP should apologize to his daughter as well for not protecting her against his abusive father.

If grandfather were a complete stranger who hit the 17 year old with a belt I bet people would be telling OP to call the police and so on, so why is the fact he's faaaaammmiiiillllyyyy (gag me) make a difference? Family should be held to a HIGHER standard than strangers.
Grandparents are different than your child's friends or the kid in the neighborhood.

Nothing wrong with grandparents disciplining their grandchildren.

Assaulted her?!? LMAO

Cut from their lives?!? SMDH

Old 04-17-2015, 12:54 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry your parents let your grandparents beat you.

Here's some books it sounds like some people need to read really badly:

BOOKS ABOUT GASLIGHTING
In Sheep's Clothing: Understanding and Dealing with Manipulative People - George K. Simon Ph.D.
The Gaslight Effect: How to Spot and Survive the Hidden Manipulation Others Use to Control Your Life - Robin Stern

BOOKS ABOUT ABUSIVE PARENTS
Why Does He Do That?: Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men - Lundy Bancroft
The Father Factor: How Your Father's Legacy Impacts Your Career - Stephan B. Poulter
I was never beat, although I was disciplined on a few occasions.

I am sorry that you do not see the role discipline plays in child rearing.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:24 AM

Quote:
I was never beat, although I was disciplined on a few occasions.

I am sorry that you do not see the role discipline plays in child rearing.
Discipline of course, hitting, NO.

Abuse is not discipline.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Grandparents are different than your child's friends or the kid in the neighborhood.

Nothing wrong with grandparents disciplining their grandchildren.

Assaulted her?!? LMAO

Cut from their lives?!? SMDH
So basically if a complete stranger had done the SAME THING you'd have been okay with it?

Your right, grandparents ARE different, they are family and should be held to HIGHER standards than a stranger. Being family doesn't give you a pass to be abusive. If it's abuse from a stranger than it's STILL abuse from family.

Not only did this grandparent overstep his boundaries, he showed his grand daughter he's not a safe person and her father showed her he won't protect her from that person. I guarantee she will never feel the same about her grandfather again.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Discipline of course, hitting, NO.

Abuse is not discipline.
Spanking / Hitting is a form of discipline. Which in reason is not abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents