Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 10:54 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,823,762 times

Advertisements

Glad to hear all is well with EVERYBODY it sounds like... I am glad that your daughter shared the story and pictures with you of that MEMORABLE event....little kids are so innocent.. Your husband sounds like he is trying to make it up to you and show you ARE a part of the family...Have a good holiday weekend!!! Are they going to friend you again???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 12:04 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Yesterday was my granddaughter's kindergarten graduation. I hadn't been told about it, but my husband asked me yesterday morning if I was going, so I went. My daughters waved me over to where they were sitting, and we all sat together. I think it broke the ice a little because no matter what, I am still there for my granddaughter. We enjoyed the program together and then parted ways to go back to work.

Last night my daughter texted me a picture that my granddaughter had drawn, and said, "Guess what this is about LOL"

Evidently on her last day of school, the kids were asked to tell a story about something memorable that happened to them that year. The picture was of her in the water, and me with a bubble drawn from my mouth that says "Let her do wut I sed". The story was four pages long and my daughter said it was all about "how she went swimming and we argued and how she had to leave but didn't know why and how you are right" then "and how she loves swimming at her grandmas and was mad she had to come home".

I apologized and said I would explain to her that Grandma shouldn't have yelled at Mommy that way, and she LOL. So I hope we are good.

As for my husband, he finally noticed last Thursday that I wasn't wearing my rings, but he didn't say anything. The next day, he asked to use my car, so I took his truck to work. When I got home, he had put new tires on it, gotten the brakes done, filled it up with gas, it was detailed inside and out with my favorite scent, and he had paid off a years of my car insurance.

I know my husband, and this was his way of saying I'm sorry, because normally I am expected to pay for all that stuff myself. I have not let the incident slide; I certainly won't forget it, but I am glad to see that he took a step towards "taking care of me" when I normally have to take care of myself.
Sounds like things are working out...they just got too heated and everyone needed to cool off a bit. I think there is a lot of love there. It was a charged day, emotionally, with what EVERYONE has been through in their own path involving mothers/motherhood.

As for your husband apologizing in his own way...I think its sweet, really. All I get is an "I'm sorry" that may or may not be genuine. I would just be happy if he did extra chores to say he is sorry LOL

Old 05-25-2015, 11:54 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,167 times
Just one story to add....

My Mother also grew up back in the day when older relatives thought it was fun to throw them into the pool to learn how to swim. Her uncle threw her in when she was about 6. She was terrified. She panicked of course, sank, and nearly drowned.

She never entered the water after that. No pool, no beach. She almost couldn't graduate from college at an Ivy League school because they had a swimming requirement! She never went on a boat, and had difficulty even driving on bridges over water.

What an utter A$$hole, my great-uncle was.

Sad to hear behavior like this persists.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:13 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Yesterday, everybody came over and we all had a great time. My daughter told me she had the kids in swimming lessons, and we talked about the incident calmly while we were laying out. There was one point where my SIL started playing too hard with my granddaughter while they were in the pool, and I tried to ignore it, but my daughter stepped in and told him to stop it. So all is well

Thanks for the support everybody. Parenting and grandparenting are two different animals for sure.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:21 PM

502 posts, read 896,026 times
I'm glad things are working out. But, you should consider exploring further those feelings you have of not belonging. What your husband said was really hateful and I personally wouldn't let some new tires smooth it over.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:45 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojow View Post
I'm glad things are working out. But, you should consider exploring further those feelings you have of not belonging. What your husband said was really hateful and I personally wouldn't let some new tires smooth it over.
Those were my thoughts. too.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojow View Post
Don't worry; it has been filed away, never to be forgotten.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:21 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Don't worry; it has been filed away, never to be forgotten.
That's not "dealing with it." That's "holding a grudge," which is not healthy for either of you.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
That's not "dealing with it." That's "holding a grudge," which is not healthy for either of you.
I'm not holding a grudge. We talked about it, and are back to normal as far as the relationship goes. If it ever happens again, I am done; that's what I meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents