Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 09:53 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,431,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesnowflake View Post
I saw this news story on t.v. Although I feel empathy for the child with the allergy, I don't think it's right to impose out of the ordinary practices on the fellow classmates. My understanding of the story was that just her classmates were subject to the special extra cleansing, that shows that this is not a normal school practice. It is unfortunate that the child has such a severe and possibly fatal allergy, but there are no guarantees even with all the preventive cleansing that she wouldn't be exposed. If that were my child I wouldn't take the chance, I would homeschool them and get them involved in social activities where they can be closely supervised and maybe even with children that have the same allergy. Just my thoughts on the matter.
So you'd wrap them in cotton wool and let the allergy run their lives.
I am sure that the parents understand there are no guarantees, and that the school know to administer epinephrine in the case of a severe reaction, which we don't know the likelihood of anyway.

I don't think it's extra special hand cleansing- just cleansing instead of not.
Again -if parents don't teach kids to wash hands then maybe the school should be.

What about protecting from normal viruses and bacteria-is handwashing twice during the school day not good everyday practice? It should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 10:11 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,203,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommax3plus2 View Post
some parents want the world to change and adapt for their child, some parents want their child to learn how to live in the world as it is.
This.

What happens when the chld grows up? Are the parents going to demand that the grown child's work place accommodate them also?

Old 03-26-2011, 07:08 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,805,008 times
It's not just hand washing and mouth rinsing. In this article - Florida school officials ease protective restrictions regarding student with peanut allergy - they state the added restrictions:

Quote:
* All students must wash their hands and wipe around their mouths before stepping into a classroom.
* Desks must be wiped down regularly with Clorox wipes.
* No snacks are allowed in classrooms.
* No food allowed at holiday parties.
* A peanut-sniffing dog has been walked through the school, to confirm that everyone in the school is following the rules.
We were discussing costs earlier. Who pays for the Chlorox wipes? Who pays for the dog?

Are you kidding me about no snacks? No food at parties??? That's absurd! The kids are 6 years old. Again, if I were a parent of one of these other kids, I'd be angry and frustrated.

Also, I'm not opposed to the extra hand washing, but when 20+ six year olds have to go to the bathroom one or two at a time to wash their hands twice a day, it's time consuming. The teachers are spending an extra 30 minutes (according to parents) out of their scheduled curriculum to do this.

I'm sorry. I think the whole thing is overkill. It's ridiculous.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:34 AM

415 posts, read 449,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42212235/ns/health-allergies_and_asthma/ - Cached

A student at Edgewater Elementary School in Volusia County, Florida is being asked to withdraw from the school by her classmates' parents. They have been protesting the school imposing time consuming procedures on their children due to the needs of one student in the classroom.

The student has a life-threatening peanut allergy and, as a result, her classmates are asked to make accommodations to ensure her safety. Some parents of children at the school say the extra steps their children are taking to ensure the girl's health, such as washing their hands or rinsing out their mouths, are taking away from their own children's learning time by several hours a week. Meanwhile, the school is standing by its decision to make accommodations for the student.

What do you think about the school's and parents' stances?
I don't see anything wrong with this. People need to quit whining and be thankful it's not their kid with that kind of terrible allergy. Good for the school for standing by its decision. How does it take away "hours" from the learning time, when they do it before or after class? It dosen't. If parents do have a problem with this, then approach it in a different way and not like an idiot... indirectly bashing that poor child.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:19 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,805,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbanger View Post
I don't see anything wrong with this. People need to quit whining and be thankful it's not their kid with that kind of terrible allergy. Good for the school for standing by its decision. How does it take away "hours" from the learning time, when they do it before or after class? It dosen't. If parents do have a problem with this, then approach it in a different way and not like an idiot... indirectly bashing that poor child.
You obviously didn't read my post or the article attached.

The school doesn't have a choice. This girl is a walking catastrophe - a lawsuit waiting to happen. The school has to protect itself. That's common sense.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:58 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,314,350 times
Schools across the country currently make all kinds of accomodations for students. This is just one example. They also reduce the work load, have cooling off time, have full-time aides for some students, special large print books, etc. etc. etc. While we all understand and sympathize with the students and their parents, aren't these children in for a shock when they hit the real world? I don't know a job that will make accomodations to its employees, do you? These accomodations are one reason the public school systems across the country are broke.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:37 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The first bolded. While I don't necessarily agree with the whole thing the reality in today's schools are, due to various federal laws passed over the last three or four decades, that schools are required (note the word required) to make accomodations to educate all students, including this student who no doubt has a 504 Plan for allergies. This would detail the established allergies and the medications, treatments (these would be from a Dr.) and accomodations to be implemented. Those would be developed by the school in concert with the parents.

A note on 504 Plans: I have 9 students in one class whose Plans require they sit in the front seat of the row for various reasons (eyesight, hearing, ADD and 4 for behavior management). I only have 6 rows of seats. This includes the blind student. One student is required to have a minimum 6 feet clearance on all sides from other students. Has a "touching" problem. These are 9th graders. Smallest classroom in the building, 35 students and an aide for the blind student.

The second bold: the trail mix situation happened to my oldest daughter on a field trip in 5th grade. The VP that went along got her some Benadryl and all was well.
I know things are the way you describe. I can't tell if you are agreeing with me or not, but my point is that I feel we are going overboard and your classroom sounds like a very good example of this.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:40 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
I'm all for reasonable accommodations. I don't have a problem with banning peanut containing products in and of itself. My concern is when does reasonable become outrageous? If we start adding more precautions, when does it stop? Washing the childrens' hands, inconvenient, but I wouldn't complain. Add in rinsing out mouths after meals, I'd be requesting my child to be put into a different class. Now add peanut sniffing dogs, sorry, that's outrageous.

Are we going to do this for everything that causes a reaction? Strawberries, shellfish, pollen?

For extreme cases like this, don't schools districts still use their own homeschooling, where there are specific teachers in the school district that come to the child's home to teach the subjects? It doesn't cost the parent anything. I knew several children who used this service due to being immunocompromised from chemo, steroids, and one case of SCID.
Iv' mentioned this already because I also know of children that have had to do this. I the parents of this student are being selfish and this option would be a good one to consider.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:12 AM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I know things are the way you describe. I can't tell if you are agreeing with me or not, but my point is that I feel we are going overboard and your classroom sounds like a very good example of this.
Not agreeing or disagreeing, really. Just reinforcing. A lot of folks that post in this forum are clueless about why schools take the measures they do in various situations, whether it's accomodations for special needs (which cover a huge area) or discipline (zero tolerance is an example).

Old 03-27-2011, 02:09 PM

513 posts, read 897,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
So you'd wrap them in cotton wool and let the allergy run their lives.
I am sure that the parents understand there are no guarantees, and that the school know to administer epinephrine in the case of a severe reaction, which we don't know the likelihood of anyway.

I don't think it's extra special hand cleansing- just cleansing instead of not.
Again -if parents don't teach kids to wash hands then maybe the school should be.

What about protecting from normal viruses and bacteria-is handwashing twice during the school day not good everyday practice? It should be.
I respect your view on the matter and can understand your point, however, I don't think that the allergy should run anyones life including the fellow students who attend the school with the Child that has the allergy.

The reason the parents are protesting against the situation is because their childrens class is being singled out of an entire school and asked to take precautions for 1 student, where do you draw the line. Then we start getting into each individual need of each child, learning isssues and other health needs. Some times the parents just need to take responsibility for their own child. That is just my outlook and I don't expect anyone to agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates