Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 03:15 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,689,196 times

Advertisements

A student who requires bubble-like conditions to survive, needs a bubble. Schools shouldn't need to turn into bubbles because of one student. Although it's unfortunate for the one student, the others need to be able to have reasonably normal lives without the distractions created by the unreasonable requirements of that student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 05:45 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,587,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
It's not just hand washing and mouth rinsing. In this article - Florida school officials ease protective restrictions regarding student with peanut allergy - they state the added restrictions:

We were discussing costs earlier. Who pays for the Chlorox wipes? Who pays for the dog?

Are you kidding me about no snacks? No food at parties??? That's absurd! The kids are 6 years old. Again, if I were a parent of one of these other kids, I'd be angry and frustrated.

Also, I'm not opposed to the extra hand washing, but when 20+ six year olds have to go to the bathroom one or two at a time to wash their hands twice a day, it's time consuming. The teachers are spending an extra 30 minutes (according to parents) out of their scheduled curriculum to do this.

I'm sorry. I think the whole thing is overkill. It's ridiculous.
Couldn't rep you again just yet, gotta spread some around, but I agree totally.

I feel sorry for the child, also because her parents are teaching her that her allergy is something the world will accomadate, and this is simply not the reality of this world. As another poster said, she's in for a very rude awakening when she gets older and realizes that no one cares since she's not a child anymore.

The parents need to step up to the plate and take their kid's health into their own hands, not trust that the public school will do it for them. And they need to teach her that our health and well-being is our own responsibility, not the world's.

Definitely overkill to take 30 minutes out of the curriculum to make sure all those little hands have been washed thoroughly.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:20 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,431,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Couldn't rep you again just yet, gotta spread some around, but I agree totally.

I feel sorry for the child, also because her parents are teaching her that her allergy is something the world will accomadate, and this is simply not the reality of this world. As another poster said, she's in for a very rude awakening when she gets older and realizes that no one cares since she's not a child anymore.

The parents need to step up to the plate and take their kid's health into their own hands, not trust that the public school will do it for them. And they need to teach her that our health and well-being is our own responsibility, not the world's.

Definitely overkill to take 30 minutes out of the curriculum to make sure all those little hands have been washed thoroughly.
Is stating "you feel sorry for the child supposed to make your post sound less selfish and dramatic? If so it's not working for me- just another example of "I'm allright Jack pull the ladder up"-so common in the US.

The parents are only asking for some extra steps (and handwashing should be practiced in school kids that age anyway)to be taken.
Once she's older she'll be perfectly capable of taking required measures herself and reducing exposure risk.

We do have responsibility for our health and well being, but people still expect "the world" to provide laws that we live by, and healthcare when we can't quite manage to be perfect and become ill as a result of bad habits and over indulgence.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:06 AM

513 posts, read 897,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Is stating "you feel sorry for the child supposed to make your post sound less selfish and dramatic? If so it's not working for me- just another example of "I'm allright Jack pull the ladder up"-so common in the US.

The parents are only asking for some extra steps (and handwashing should be practiced in school kids that age anyway)to be taken.
Once she's older she'll be perfectly capable of taking required measures herself and reducing exposure risk.

We do have responsibility for our health and well being, but people still expect "the world" to provide laws that we live by, and healthcare when we can't quite manage to be perfect and become ill as a result of bad habits and over indulgence.
This is Not just about a group of kids having to wash their hands, all kids should wash their hands ... I think that goes without saying. There are other issues, like using clorox wipes (not all parents want their kids washing with clorox). They have dogs sniffing for peanut butter (Some children are allergic to dogs, are their rights being violated) and kids swabbing mouths and washing hands before going into class rooms and again before and after lunch...the list goes on. This is excessive, like one poster said previously...the school is not suppose to turn into a bubble. When people say they feel sorry for the child, I believe them, This is not a case of selfishness it's a case of fairness for the rights of "All" the students. Again, this is just my view and everone is entitled to their own.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:31 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
I don't get the Clorox wipes. The kid isn't allergic to bacteria; she's allergic to peanuts.

I would not want my kids' desks being wiped down with bleach every day.

Stupid.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
What's selfish or dramatic about my opinion? Whether it "works" for you or not makes no difference to me, this is a forum where we can freely express opinions whether they agree with your belief system or not. IMO, the parents aren't doing their daughter any favors by showing her it's everyone else's responsibility to make sure she's safe. She should know that only her family members and close friends truly care about her well-being, and institutions are usually just concerned with liability and money.

Quote:

The school's job is to teach, not to coddle one student to the point of taking away 30 minutes of learning time from everyone else in the class.

Quote:
Health care is a joke in this country.
Education isn't too far behind.
It is the parents' job to protect their children in matters of health until the children are old enough to do this for themselves, it's not the educators' job.
Schools should focus on teaching and leave the excessive hand-washing, mouth-rinsing, and peanut-sniffing-dog buying to the parents.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:19 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
What's selfish or dramatic about my opinion? Whether it "works" for you or not makes no difference to me, this is a forum where we can freely express opinions whether they agree with your belief system or not. IMO, the parents aren't doing their daughter any favors by showing her it's everyone else's responsibility to make sure she's safe. She should know that only her family members and close friends truly care about her well-being, and institutions are usually just concerned with liability and money.

The school's job is to teach, not to coddle one student to the point of taking away 30 minutes of learning time from everyone else in the class.

Health care is a joke in this country.
Education isn't too far behind.
It is the parents' job to protect their children in matters of health until the children are old enough to do this for themselves, it's not the educators' job.
Schools should focus on teaching and leave the excessive hand-washing, mouth-rinsing, and peanut-sniffing-dog buying to the parents.
Nope. Once again someone is opining without knowing the relevant laws requiring these modifications. Do you really think schools like doing this ****? And spending money on them that can be used elsewhere?

IDEA (The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act)

IDEA - Building The Legacy of IDEA 2004

Archived: IDEA '97

What Is a 504 Plan?

A parent's guide to Section 504 in public schools - Special education and IEPs | GreatSchools

About.com: http://www.foodallergyadvocate.com/504Plan.htm

Old 03-28-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Nope. Once again someone is opining without knowing the relevant laws requiring these modifications. Do you really think schools like doing this ****? And spending money on them that can be used elsewhere?

IDEA (The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act)

IDEA - Building The Legacy of IDEA 2004

Archived: IDEA '97

What Is a 504 Plan?

A parent's guide to Section 504 in public schools - Special education and IEPs | GreatSchools

About.com: http://www.foodallergyadvocate.com/504Plan.htm
Thanks for the links...it's interesting to me that allergies fall under the category of "disability", I think it's pretty odd considering the percentage of people who suffer from allergies today...just about everyone is allergic to something.

Let's look at this another way...if a child is severely allergic to bees, does the school refrain from allowing that child outside during recess? Do they have guards standing by the door to ensure no bees fly in? Do they keep all windows closed at all times? Is that child allowed to go on field trips? If not, should his or her entire class be prevented from field trips too, just because it's "discrimination" to let them do something the allergic child can't also do? Where do we draw the line here?

A school providing special attention, tutors, etc. for kids who have learning disabilities is different than a school providing guards, peanut-sniffing dogs, clorox wipes, and/or mouthwash because of a kid having allergies.

I think it would be a great idea to have some strictly allergen-free schools...this way, parents could be sure their kids aren't being exposed to things that could potentially hurt them and the kids wouldn't have to feel like oddballs for making everyone else in the class deal with their conditions. The school day could be longer to accomadate the extra time spent on hand-washing, mouth-rinsing, etc., without having to cut back on any actual learning time.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:48 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,608,674 times
You have to look at the wording-anything that impairs normal, day to day functioning. And yes, a student allergic to bees would stay in at recess and have a staff member detailed to supervise (usually the Library) him/her. Armed guards? No.

You may be right about aides for disabilities but that's not the way the law is written and been interpreted in various court cases in nearly every state. It's a catch all law that includes almost anything that can impair functioning, however minor. That's what the 504 Plan deals with. One reason that costs have gone through the roof in the last 30 years.

Due to chemical sensitivity spraying for pests is not allowed anymore, just powder on the weekends to be vacuumed up by Monday.

Two of my personal chidren have the peanut/tree nut allergy. I mentioned my oldest daughter earlier and trail mix. Youngest son had an issue with cafeteria cookies. Both kids have always been real good at avoiding triggers but in middle school they served cookies one day. Chocolate chip (he's allergic to chocolate and dairy stuff, too, but can eat a couple cookies or a few M&M's now without a problem). Problem with the cookies was that they included a peanut butter batter. Major reaction ensued. Benadryl and inhaler. Epi-Pen was out but not deployed.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 03-28-2011 at 07:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates