Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 11:59 AM

347 posts, read 671,919 times

Advertisements

There's really not enough info...in the US the customer is always right but in many areas of the world that's not the case. The shop owner might have simply thought the bag was a waste of money, she might have thought "why buy this ugly bag for 40k when you can buy this better looking one for half the price?" Retailers do actually think that way in many areas of the world and will refuse to show you something they feel is inferior or overpriced. To me it's racist to assume that's racist.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:01 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,770,206 times
Haven't you people figured it out yet? Oprah's a narcissist. Remember a few years back when she announced that she was "retiring"? So what ever happened to that so-called retirement??? Obviously she can't live without being in the spotlight. Her claim that she was retiring was akin to when people on forums such as this one announce to everyone that they're leaving. It's an obvious ploy for attention.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:02 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,837,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

It's the same as that black businesswoman a few years ago who was staying at a nice hotel, and while walking down the hall in her silk suit was stopped by an older white man who asked her to get him some more towels. He probably didn't consider himself a racist, either.
I'm sure there was some kind of way to make that not racist too. LOL

Clearly it was her fault for not walking down the halway with the right attitude or something. Heh.

Last edited by Tinawina; 08-11-2013 at 12:15 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 12:04 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,230,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Because they are crass and obnoxious.
I'll agree that some Americans act crass and obnoxious when they're abroad, but where would you come up with the idea that Europeans think Americans are less affluent than they are, just because they're Americans? If anything, if you're over the age of 24, most Europeans assume that Americans traveling abroad (even the loud and obnoxious ones) are at least comfortably well heeled because it's so expensive for us to be there--air fare has gone through the roof, and the exchange rate works against us.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:04 PM

36 posts, read 31,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
No, Oprah is fairly unknown over here, and the saleswoman also said she did now know who that was...
Some in Europe know her name, but would not recognize her if they were talking to her in the pedestrian zone. Let's be honest, to many white people black women look very similar to each other, especially those looking ordinary.
do you think beyonce would look ordinary or would she stand out?

Old 08-11-2013, 12:05 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,835,270 times
At the end of the day the question is, is it racist to assume that the average black person is not as wealthy as the average white person? And I think only really pc people would say yes, while everyone else knows the statistics...

Old 08-11-2013, 12:05 PM

15,851 posts, read 35,225,455 times
Perhaps the shop owner felt that she didn't have enough money because she obviously spends quite a lot on food.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-11-2013, 12:07 PM

19,922 posts, read 12,214,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I'll agree that some Americans act crass and obnoxious when they're abroad, but where would you come up with the idea that Europeans think Americans are less affluent than they are, just because they're Americans? If anything, if you're over the age of 24, most Europeans assume that Americans traveling abroad (even the loud and obnoxious ones) are at least comfortably well heeled because it's so expensive for us to be there--air fare has gone through the roof, and the exchange rate works against us.
I never said that Europeans assume Americans are less affluent. Not sure where you got that idea from...

Old 08-11-2013, 12:08 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,121,990 times
I would probably recognize her in public,but would turn my head before I got a closer look...imho she is the least talented person in an entire ocean filled with talentless people and in the immortal words of Roman Maronie she's a self important,bigheaded,arrogant "fargin icehole bastage"...ahh..that feels better..rant over

Old 08-11-2013, 12:08 PM

530 posts, read 1,365,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyled View Post
There's really not enough info...in the US the customer is always right but in many areas of the world that's not the case. The shop owner might have simply thought the bag was a waste of money, she might have thought "why buy this ugly bag for 40k when you can buy this better looking one for half the price?" Retailers do actually think that way in many areas of the world and will refuse to show you something they feel is inferior or overpriced. To me it's racist to assume that's racist.
0.o

If they didn't want that bag sold then why have it on display?

This is SALES. NO Salesperson in their RIGHT MIND (regardless of culture) would PURPOSELY work against themselves to get less commissions. That would be CRAZY!!

Almost EVERY salesperson would be DELIGHTED if a potential customer went for one of the priciest things since that means they get more money in their pocket.

This is one of the worst excuses that I heard. At first I tried see where you were coming from with this but I just couldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates