Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 01:38 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,729,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Haven't you people figured it out yet? Oprah's a narcissist. Remember a few years back when she announced that she was "retiring"? So what ever happened to that so-called retirement??? Obviously she can't live without being in the spotlight. Her claim that she was retiring was akin to when people on forums such as this one announce to everyone that they're leaving. It's an obvious ploy for attention.

Have to agree. And Tina Turner was married on July 4th, this incident happened prior to that.

So why did it take over a month in this day of texting and tweeting to get in the media?

Could it be due to the fact she has movie coming in on Aug. 16th?????

Old 08-11-2013, 01:38 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,421,095 times
Anyone who has a retail job selling expensive stuff will tell you that they end up wasting untold time dealing w/ tire-kickers who are never going to buy. If you're in such a job you're going to end up filtering customers, and that is probably just what happened here. I don't understand why window shoppers don't stick to windows. When I go shopping it is because I need to buy whatever it is I'm shopping for, but apparently there are masses of people who don't feel that way.

A challenge for clerks with that kind of job is to not filter too much, because sometimes the guy with scraggly hair and clothes actually has plenty of money, and wants to spend some of it. From what little I read/heard about this incident, Oprah had no evidence that it was a case of racism. When you cry racism w/ no evidence, you are contributing to a 'boy cried wolf' syndrome.

Then the person who is a genuine victim of racism will have that much more difficulty in obtaining redress. Is that what Oprah Winfrey wants? That's what she is going to get. Unfortunate that apparently one of the most successful and influential celebs of our time cannot see that.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:43 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,231,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That is her version, and you believe it, obviously...
Why wouldn't we believe it? Every single thing you've said here leads one to believe that the sales girl most likely did assume that Oprah couldn't afford the bag because she's black. You've admitted that over and over.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:43 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,196,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Have to agree. And Tina Turner was married on July 4th, this incident happened prior to that.

So why did it take over a month in this day of texting and tweeting to get in the media?

Could it be due to the fact she has movie coming in on Aug. 16th?????
In case you have not noticed, there has been much talk about race relations since the Trayvon Martin case. Oprah waa sharing her experience on the subject...

Old 08-11-2013, 01:45 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,770,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Anyone who has a retail job selling expensive stuff will tell you that they end up wasting untold time dealing w/ tire-kickers who are never going to buy. If you're in such a job you're going to end up filtering customers, and that is probably just what happened here. I don't understand why window shoppers don't stick to windows. When I go shopping it is because I need to buy whatever it is I'm shopping for, but apparently there are masses of people who don't feel that way.

A challenge for clerks with that kind of job is to not filter too much, because sometimes the guy with scraggly hair and clothes actually has plenty of money, and wants to spend some of it. From what little I read/heard about this incident, Oprah had no evidence that it was a case of racism. When you cry racism w/ no evidence, you are contributing to a 'boy cried wolf' syndrome.
Stellar post! You get a positive rating from me. I have a cousin who used to work in a high-end jewelry store, and she once told me that she'd sometimes have a short temper with customers who were there to just window-shop. She'd ask them something along the lines of "Are you here to buy something?" and when they'd say no, she'd say "Next!"

Old 08-11-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

Then the person who is a genuine victim of racism will have that much more difficulty in obtaining redress. Is that what Oprah Winfrey wants? That's what she is going to get. Unfortunate that apparently one of the most successful and influential celebs of our time cannot see that.
So you've just said Oprah was filtered for some reason--what reason might that be if it isn't because she's black? I highly doubt that she came in badly or inexpensively dressed, or poorly groomed. What other factor is there that would you lead you to believe that her race wasn't the issue? The salesperson came right out and said that she couldn't afford the expensive bag to her face. I'd love to hear your logic on this one.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:46 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,861,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I'd get 'ticked off' also ........ but the real question is ..Would I wait for an entire month to "get ticked off"?

And yes ... Oprah does have a new movie coming out.
and her Emmett Till comments (which she got a lot of heat about)
and the "apartheid" protests going on in Switzerland right now.
She didn't wait, she was specifically asked if she had ever experienced discrimination. She related a story without naming names.

It seems to me Oprah made it as low key as it could be short of either saying she hadn't or saying she had but didn't want to talk about it.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:48 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,992,490 times
Unrelated but the situation was in reverse compared to Oprah problem etc.

Some decades back a man in scruffy clothes went into a Chevy dealership and was looking at cars in the showroom.

The salesmen ignored him so the man walked across the street to a Ford dealer and bought a half dozen NEW cars paying CASH.

The man was a merchant seaman who had just returned from Asia and he along with his fellow seamen had gotten paid and they asked him to go out and buy cars for them....which he did in the SF bay area.

I lived in Castro Valley at the time and read about the car purchases in the newspaper.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:49 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,838,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Why wouldn't we believe it? Every single thing you've said here leads one to believe that the sales girl most likely did assume that Oprah couldn't afford the bag because she's black. You've admitted that over and over.

That is not what I said. You may have skipped the post where someone asked about Beyonce and I said she would probably have been much more likely to be considered wealthy enough to buy that bag.
Again, what is full Oprah gear? Clothes that may look fine in the US, maybe look odd in Europe and not be associated with classiness.
For instance, was the man she was with wearing shorts like men do in the US? In Europe that is not ok in most places and Oprah might have paid the price for it.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Stellar post! You get a positive rating from me. I have a cousin who used to work in a high-end jewelry store, and she once told me that she'd sometimes have a short temper with customers who were there to just window-shop. She'd ask them something along the lines of "Are you here to buy something?" and when they'd say no, she'd say "Next!"
That's a great way to get fired. Expensive stores teach their staff to be more discrete than that. You can shoo people away without saying "next" like you're in line at the deli (which makes me believe the story isn't true).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates