Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 02:01 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,843,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
No, not poor, but maybe not like the kind of person that I would expect to be interested in or capable of paying for that kind of stuff.
What does a person look like who is capable of paying for that kind of stuff?

Old 08-11-2013, 02:02 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,524,165 times
Quote:
I don't think so, Beyonce looks glamorous, one can see she is someone special, with Oprah one doesn't get that impression at all. Maybe 20 years ago, I don't know what she looked like back then. Today she looks like any woman her age.
What is your point, darling? Being pretty does not mean that one can afford to buy something. The sales clerk's job is to sell merchandise not to judge a beauty contest.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I think it is funny that there are so many in here trying to give the clerk the benefit of the doubt or trying to explain why she chose to discriminate. And at the same time dissing Oprah, calling her crass or unable to dress properly knowing that she's filthy rich, classy, and well verse in the matters of the elite and classy. Yet, she was getting compared to Snoop Dogg.
The liberal 1% certainly does not want to be mistaken for one of the lowly lowly hideous middle class types.

Never mind that 99% of people cannot possibly afford a $38,000 purse, poor pitiful Oprah is going to make it a race issue. What race issue? She can afford a ridiculously expensive purse when millions of people in the world are going hungry.

She who made her billions exploiting emotionally ill people, encouraging them to air their most horrendous secrets on her show so she could get extremely rich and never batted an eye over suicides that followed.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:03 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Obviously I have, because I've never, in my life, heard a sales person say "NEXT" in one to a customer. As I said, that's something you'd hear in a DELI vs. an exclusive shop. Good grief!
If you had actually bothered to read my post, you would've seen that I mentioned that she would have a short temper with customers who weren't intending to buy anything, hence the "Next!". That was her way of saying to the person "I'm not gonna waste my time with you". If the person's not there to buy anything anyway, what difference does it really make? Those stores are there to sell, not to let tire-kickers just hang out. As the person I replied to stated, in a high-end store you're going to end up filtering customers.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:03 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,338,870 times
Replies are not Great Debates material, moved to Politics & Other Controversies to avoid mass deletions.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:05 PM

It's also an American arrogance --- do these celebrities really think that just because they made it big in the USA, that the entire world must bow to their celebrity? How many nations actually aired her talk show where pathetic people were coaxed into spilling out their hearts for the entertainment of her audience?

No one thinks that most white Americans can afford $38,000 trinkets. No one can be that stupid -- this is about one of the 1% being furious for not being recognized as such.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:06 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,202,186 times
Quote:
I don't think so, Beyonce looks glamorous, one can see she is someone special, with Oprah one doesn't get that impression at all. Maybe 20 years ago, I don't know what she looked like back then. Today she looks like any woman her age.
I doubt that Beyonce looks any more glamorous than any other beautiful, well dressed young woman when she's out on the streets shopping. Beautiful young women usually don't equal the wealth to buy a $37K handbag, no matter how well they're dressed. Now you're being even sillier than before.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:07 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,843,429 times
Quote:
Being rich in the US and in Europe is different. In many European countries one does not display wealth by buying expensive stuff etc.

And I am happy I don't have much to do with wealthy people, they are bad company.
Interesting take; so the store wasn't really expecting to sell their more expensive items because their customers wouldn't buy them in the first place.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:08 PM

545 posts, read 451,622 times
its all part of sales...

Last edited by macpherson; 08-11-2013 at 02:24 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Why wouldn't we believe it? Every single thing you've said here leads one to believe that the sales girl most likely did assume that Oprah couldn't afford the bag because she's black. You've admitted that over and over.
You'd have to see what a sales clerk thinks of the Honey-Boo-Boo family if they didn't know them to really know if race has a thing to do with it, or more importantly if the sales clerk really believes most whites can afford extremely extravagent prices. I seriously doubt that the clerk thinks all whites can afford those prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates