Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 03:39 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,235,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
See, the whole light skin-dark skin thing is mostly a Slave Trade/America's thing...where lighter skinned blacks/biracials were favored. This is Switzerland which had nothing to do with the Slave Trade.

Yes, in most countries, lighter skin among black populations is reveared as more beautiful but it's not an indicator of the ability/willingness to buy an overpriced purse. So I doubt skin tones within a black population would have much to do with anything.

Plus, Blacks (of any skin tone) in Switzerland are very rare so it's obvious that any Black person in that country is likely on vacation and has a decent amount of disposable income.
Not if you're a soldier stationed on a base in Germany. I'm guessing that's where the assumptions came in--if you're in Europe and you're a black American, you have to be with the military. It's a terrible stereotype to make, but I'm guessing that's where it comes from.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:40 PM

18,247 posts, read 22,618,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
We will never have a definitive answer because we weren't there witnessing this exchange. So many people are taking Oprah's word for what happened. It is her interpretation of what happened.

I was wondering how Tina Turner feels about all this. We'll never know. This is Tina's home where she's built a life since the 1990s. Then her "friend" comes barreling into town and causes this commotion. Bummer for Tina!

Oprah has zero reason to lie about this incident. ZERO. She had nothing to gain from it.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:41 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,964,271 times
I do think Oprah is a smart businesswoman whose network ain't doing too well and who saw the ratings increases for networks focusing on the Martin/ Zimmerman fiasco and might realize racism sells.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:42 PM

3,920 posts, read 3,660,748 times
Simple answer. Have you ever been shopping in or around the Rodeo Dr. area? If you have, then you have probably experienced this sort of behavior yourself. It doesn't matter how you look, the clerks in the stores almost seem trained to be snobby and as unhelpful as possible. I do know this from experience. If they didn't see you pull up in front of the store in an expensive automobile that was then parked by a servant, they don't have time for you. It's not racism, you can be any color and receive this treatment. They are discriminating based on their perception of your wealth, not your color.

10,092 posts, read 8,235,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
And most of the Europeans I know are much more "blunt" than Americans in certain things like this. It's not rude. It's not better or worse. It's simply culturally different in some places, and that's without even considering that a language barrier may have played a part.
I've never had that happen to me...

19,963 posts, read 12,252,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
It is not this sales clerk job to decide which customers can and can not see the $38k bag, it is her job to retrieve merchandise at a customer's request, provide additional information about the items and to complete transactions. Nothing more, nothing less.
Actually, it is up to the owner of the store what the saleswoman's job includes. The owner has sided with her employee. You pay her, you decide. Otherwise, myob.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:43 PM

3,920 posts, read 3,660,748 times
Quote:

Oprah has zero reason to lie about this incident. ZERO. She had nothing to gain from it.
Actually, these days, there's plenty to gain by playing the racism card. But I for one wouldn't say she's lying. I think she probably genuinely felt she was treated differently because of her color. I just don't think that was the actual reason, as I explained in my previous post. I could be wrong though, it has happened before

Old 08-11-2013, 03:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,941,978 times
Quote:

Oh yeah she does. With Oprah it's always all about increasing her celebrity status and wealth.

She's a multi-billionaire victim. Oprah is always the ultimate Capitalist. She knows publicity helps her also.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:46 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,355,461 times
It was racist. Period, end of story.

It happens. The whole damn country has apologized.

Guess what...the world kept turning.

Time to move on. She'll be fine.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:47 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,519,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Well this is the issue for people in the public eye these days, isn't it? I mean, if she wants to use the opportunity to call attention to racism, she faces potential criticism. If she says nothing, then that raises other issues. It's like Jamie Foxx wearing that T-Shirt. At what point is a black celebrity/politician/whatever expressing an opinion that has something to do with race a "problem"? At what point is any celebrity expressing an opinion of something racially charged a "problem"? No matter what they do, they cheese someone off. So what are they supposed to do? I dunno.
Yes, and it's not just limited to Oprah. Gwyneth Paltrow didn't do much better with her must-have spring wardrobe that was a half-million dollars. I dunno. I just think right in the wake of all the recent controversy, a conversation over a $40K purse was not the one that needed attention called to the race card. And I'm okay agreeing to disagree on that one. I'm also saddened and disappointed because I've always thought pretty highly of Oprah. I knew she was rich, but I thought we had a lot of the same values. This has completely opened my eyes to how she really is, and not in a good way.

Quote:
It is not this sales clerk job to decide which customers can and can not see the $38k bag, it is her job to retrieve merchandise at a customer's request, provide additional information about the items and to complete transactions. Nothing more, nothing less.
That's true only if the store's policy is that any old person off the street may handle any piece of merchandise. Including a 12 year old girl. Including a homeless person who walked in. Including someone like me who has no means to purchase it.

We don't know the store's policy. I am assuming they probably have something in place or else who would ever pay for a $40K bag that thousands of people had handled and potentially damaged?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates