Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 03:01 PM

18,247 posts, read 22,611,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
She got mistaken for a middle class nobody -- she with her billions of dollars, her great celebrity status in the USA, where everyone bows down to her. She can blow $38,000 on a purse she'll use once and yet she's making herself in a big victim. The travails and the tribulations of the filthy rich 1% elite.
No offense but you sound VERY jealous of her wealth....just saying.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:01 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,863,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Again, it is word against word. The saleswoman said she had offered to take the expensive bag down, but Oprah did not answer. Plus, Oprah was indeed holding a much cheaper bag in her hands, which might have suggested that that was the price range she was interested in.

I was not there, and basically I don't really care as I don't like Oprah anyway. Maybe they should do a lie detector test
The other part of the story that I find odd is that the sales clerk is apparently claiming to clearly remember an incident of not selling an item to an unknown person a month before.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:02 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,791,114 times
I think that if the clerk had just shown the bag to someone else then refused to show it to Oprah, it could be considered racism. That wasn't in the story though.

I don't see where the racism was.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:02 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,550,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Here's what I find funny. She claims the high road by just leaving and says "I could have had the big blow-up thing and thrown down the black card and all that stuff."

But then she goes and does an interview calling them racist.

Now I do not argue that what happened wasn't an example of racism. It sounds like it probably was. But to take a superior attitude about not throwing down the black card with one clerk in a store, while you're doing a televised interview in which you're throwing down the black card is pretty absurd.
Hate to tell you this, but "the black card" in question was likely to be an actual, black credit card - most likely AmEx's Centurion card, which is a sign of high wealth.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:03 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,925,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
One might also wonder how an overweight black woman became a billionaire in an environment that so broadly and effectively discriminates against black people.

Poor Oprah .... the fact is, she's a disgrace and her popularity is just another piece of evidence showing how mind numbingly stupid her numerous and faithful worshipers are. So, someone didn't bend over backwards to press their lips against her fat butt ... and she's worked herself into a huff. Maybe she can go build another school house in some African village somewhere, and then spend three times that amount documenting her good deed.
Well she has that special talent of fake compassion and empathy. She was given a talk show to host, she turned it into a freak show, she used people.

She convinced mentally unstable people to spill out their guts to her and televised it, some ended up committing suicide. She's worse than Bernie Madoff in many ways. She's filthy filthy rich -- that's all that ever mattered to her.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:05 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,234,364 times
Quote:
She got mistaken for a middle class nobody -- she with her billions of dollars, her great celebrity status in the USA, where everyone bows down to her. She can blow $38,000 on a purse she'll use once and yet she's making herself in a big victim. The travails and the tribulations of the filthy rich 1% elite.
And why was she mistaken as a middle class nobody? That's the point. Was she dressed like a middle class person? I can't imagine that she wasn't wearing expensive clothing, shoes and an already expensive bag--it's doubtful that she was in capris, tennis shoes, and carrying a back pack or a tote bag like a lot of older American middle class tourists. It must not have been what she was wearing, so just exactly what was the reason? A couple of European posters here have already said it was because almost no black people in Europe are wealthy.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:05 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,517,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Rich people don't typically travel with entourages and security. Famous people often do (and Royals perhaps), but not the non-famous wealthy.

Given the racial climate right now, lines are drawn in the sand even deeper than usual.
But even for the wealthy, there's wealthy and then there's a level of wealth where you have $40K to blow on a single purse.

I agree with you about the racial climate right now... and it's a disappointment that with all the honest conversation that needs to happen, we're instead hearing about a woman who was going to buy a $40K purse and is upset someone thought she couldn't. Is she aware how many working-poor families live on less than that per year? And this is the issue she wants to raise?

I have liked Oprah for 25 years. I have never felt less that she shares my values than after this stunt.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:06 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,643,449 times
Quote:
Well she has that special talent of fake compassion and empathy. She was given a talk show to host, she turned it into a freak show, she used people.

She convinced mentally unstable people to spill out their guts to her and televised it, some ended up committing suicide. She's worse than Bernie Madoff in many ways. She's filthy filthy rich -- that's all that ever mattered to her.
Unlike say . . Maury Povich, Dr. Phil or Jerry Springer? Does your hatred extend to them?

Old 08-11-2013, 03:07 PM

15,221 posts, read 8,743,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Someone asked her about examples of racism that she's faced, and she told the story. I don't exactly call that a "big whine." The only big whine I've heard are the people scrambling to call her fat, or unworthy, or classless, or to rant about how it's terrible that she travels and spends money, and how it CANT possible be racism under any circumstances....
Of course you find nothing untoward about the hard road she faced toward becoming one of the wealthiest people in the world .... so stacked against here were the cards .... amazing. Almost as amazing as the Black President of the United States making similar insinuations, when the truth is, if solely left to only the black vote, without 4 times as many whites voting for that fraud .... black people alone wouldn't have been able to elect him as city dog catcher.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:07 PM

18,247 posts, read 22,611,313 times
Quote:

Link? Please provide a link in which Oprah was responsible for someone committing suicide because otherwise you simply seem bitter and jealous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates