Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 01:13 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Again, this is Europe, not the US. We don't have many black rap stars or whatever... And if they really are famous in Europe, they are likely to be recognized in shops.
I am pretty sure Snoop Dog would have been treated the same way as Oprah, probably the woman would have had her finger on the alarm button under the table
Rap is popular all over the globe. I've heard it in Russian and German. Personally, I do not listen to it, but I am aware that it is immensley popular worldwide.

Anyway..off topic.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:13 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
...and why would that be? Clearly this woman has two resaons to alter the story. One being that she does not wish to come off as discriminating and the other...appearing stupid to have lost the sale, her commission and maybe her job.
Because I have read negative things about Oprah before, someone said she is a rather cold person behind the scenes...

And I am not the only one believing that saleswoman, the store also said they see no reason to fire her.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:14 PM

15,095 posts, read 8,639,316 times
Quote:
...and why would that be? Clearly this woman has two resaons to alter the story. One being that she does not wish to come off as discriminating and the other...appearing stupid to have lost the sale, her commission and maybe her job.
The answer lies in your very argument. I'd be willing to bet that if the sales clerk is commissioned on sales, she wouldn't care if Barney brought his purple arse into the store, as long as his money was green (or whatever color their money is). This seems so painfully obvious that one needs to be a drooler not to immediately understand.

So, lets say the clerk gets 5% on commission .... are you even suggesting that she's such a racist that she'd dismiss the opportunity to earn $1,750 on that one sale of $35,000 ... and opt for the $40 buck commission on one of the $800 bags instead? The very idea is preposterous, which probably explains why liberals lap this stuff up like hogs eating slop. That's a prerequisite for you people .... it has to be a preposterous idea for you to embrace it.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:16 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Quote:
If Oprah had shown her cash or her golden credit card, I am sure that woman would have sold her the bag.
Again, we don't even know what happened. That saleswoman said she offered to show Oprah the bag, but she did not answer.
Frankly, I am much more inclined to believe that Swiss woman than Oprah.
Golden credit cards tend to be one step up from basic ones. Depending on the vendor, the luxury cards are platinum or black.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Rap is popular all over the globe. I've heard it in Russian and German. Personally, I do not listen to it, but I am aware that it is immensley popular worldwide.

Anyway..off topic.
Yes, so? Germans and Russians have their rap "artists", but they are usually white. Some Europeans know black American rappers, but they would not recognize them if they stood right before them.

15,095 posts, read 8,639,316 times
Quote:
Because I have read negative things about Oprah before, someone said she is a rather cold person behind the scenes...

And I am not the only one believing that saleswoman, the store also said they see no reason to fire her.
No ... that sales girl is probably so stinking wealthy (which is why she's working as a sales girl), she can afford to throw away a very lucrative commission just to put that fat black woman in her place.

The United States is a Nation of idiots ... led by liars and followed by morons.

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
The answer lies in your very argument. I'd be willing to bet that if the sales clerk is commissioned on sales, she wouldn't care if Barney brought his purple arse into the store, as long as his money was green (or whatever color their money is). This seems so painfully obvious that one needs to be a drooler not to immediately understand.

So, lets say the clerk gets 5% on commission .... are you even suggesting that she's such a racist that she'd dismiss the opportunity to earn $1,750 on that one sale of $35,000 ... and opt for the $40 buck commission on one of the $800 bags instead? The very idea is preposterous, which probably explains why liberals lap this stuff up like hogs eating slop. That's a prerequisite for you people .... it has to be a preposterous idea for you to embrace it.
Not if she's working on commission and she thinks showing the expensive bag will be a waste of time that she could devote to another sale. That's the whole point--she assumed that Oprah couldn't afford it, so she refused to show it to her and moved on to lower priced items.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:19 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:

You've "heard" things about Oprah, but you do not know this sales woman at all or her relationship with the owners. Maybe she's a top notch sales person, but if I were her, I'd be kicking myslef. Cold (?) or not, Oprah is very generous with her friends at might have bought five of these bags for her Christmas list.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post

I am not even sure that they get a commission for sales. In smaller stores people are usually employed for a fixed salary in Europe. With big companies it is different, like with car sales.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:21 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:

Who cares if Oprah is a "cold person behind the scenes" the sales clerk's job is to make the sell and she failed by not even showing the customer (in this case Oprah) what the customer actually asked to see. Everything else is irrelevant with the exception of the reason that the sales clerk refused to show the customer what the customer was asking to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates