Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 11:01 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,204,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
And why is it you're here? All the hard work of overthrowing the regime and you wind up in the USA. Is Romania not better now? There must have been some draw, some overwhelming reason that drew you here. Now you're convinced that the gov't will unleash UHC and we'll go total commie overnight. If UHC becomes a reality, where will you go? I'm not trying to be facetious, I just don't understand how people go so far to one side or the other. This Country was based on Compromise. If you look back at the arguments leading to the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, you'll notice they weren't born of a single thought. The actions and results weren't smooth and flawless, they were crude and sometimes clumsy. The thing that pulled it off was the commitment to the whole, the collective that became this nation. Ben Franklin ,the very model for moderates said it best:
We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.
Why I came here?? That's a good question to my French Jew grandfather who came here pre WWII. I was born and raised in Brooklyn, and a product of NYC public schoool system, and South High in Bakersfield, CA. I spent 3 years as a teenager in Romania, immersed myself in that country, and did 2 years of schooling there. I got to travel to world later working for Schlumberger, living sometimes 5-6 months in various countries, after UCLA and before my Masters.

Our country was not built on compromise. It was built on consensus. Big difference.

But I will also tell another Romanian story. I went back there in 1995 and many of my school friends had left the country. I asked and they told -- lazy ones went to Europe. And hard workers went to America. Europe has been a huge magnet of emmigrants looking for freebies, because of UHC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 11:17 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,133,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Why I came here?? That's a good question to my French Jew grandfather who came here pre WWII. I was born and raised in Brooklyn, and a product of NYC public schoool system, and South High in Bakersfield, CA. I spent 3 years as a teenager in Romania, immersed myself in that country, and did 2 years of schooling there. I got to travel to world later working for Schlumberger, living sometimes 5-6 months in various countries, after UCLA and before my Masters.

Our country was not built on compromise. It was built on consensus. Big difference.

But I will also tell another Romanian story. I went back there in 1995 and many of my school friends had left the country. I asked and they told -- lazy ones went to Europe. And hard workers went to America. Europe has been a huge magnet of emmigrants looking for freebies, because of UHC.
People don't leave their home for good so they can have UHC. For christ sakes. I know two men who defected from Romania in the 1970s. One was an exchange student who defected in NYC the other was caught crossing the Yugoslav border and was returned to Romania and spent 6 years in a gulag. The place is a chit hole. I'll wager when the Romanian border opened your friends got the hell out of there, not because of a hanking for UHC. What a load of BS.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I've had a multitude of college courses that dealt with American constitutional law. What is your background?
UCLA PolSci Major, Comparative's focus, and minor in Macro. Booth MBA. Yours?

I know people with less schooling than you, and a lot less schooling than me, that know more about these subjects. So what's your point?

Old 12-31-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
People don't leave their home for good so they can have UHC. For christ sakes. I know two men who defected from Romania in the 1970s. One was an exchange student who defected in NYC the other was caught crossing the Yugoslav border and was returned to Romania and spent 6 years in a gulag. The place is a chit hole. I'll wager when the Romanian border opened your friends got the hell out of there, not because of a hanking for UHC. What a load of BS.
Indeed, many left. We even sponsored a close friend of mine to come over. But just because you don't know something, or know very little about does not make it BS.

Besides, what don't you believe? That Europe, and its social programs are not a magnet for emmigrants? What, you live under a rock?

You also do not know that Europe's population is getting older, which means less taxpayers, and more recipients? And that basically all nations with a UHC are facing a Budget Shortfall, and need to hike taxes even higher? Or ration care? Or a combination of both, or even more measures? I posted links to these facts.Are you simply wanting to remain blind to the facts?

Old 12-31-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Indeed, many left. We even sponsored a close friend of mine to come over. But just because you don't know something, or know very little about does not make it BS.

Besides, what don't you believe? That Europe, and its social programs are not a magnet for emmigrants? What, you live under a rock?

You also do not know that Europe's population is getting older, which means less taxpayers, and more recipients? And that basically all nations with a UHC are facing a Budget Shortfall, and need to hike taxes even higher? Or ration care? Or a combination of both, or even more measures? I posted links to these facts.Are you simply wanting to remain blind to the facts?
And the United States is a large magnet for all those benefits too? And if you state that yes the US is just making those shiftless lazy welfare people flush with cash than I know for a fact you have no clue in what you are talking about. Here, let me give you a fact regarding the US's method of delivery healthcare. Even though its for-profit insurance as the primary deliver of healthcare, the US certainly has budget shortfalls, hikes taxes and above all rations more health care than any modern western country on the planet. You are blind, so blind you don't even know it. For someone who's been around the planet you don't have a clue and certainly will not even attempt to figure out how our system of delivering healthcare rations, how it does it right under your nose.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:04 PM

Besides, God, country and family, 2 more things are very important to me -- health and liberty.

Health: do I really want to entrust my health on the weakest actor? The Federal Govt? That is like trusting you game-winning shot to the worst player of your bench.

Liberty- I not only want my liberty so I can decide how best to provide healthcare to my family, but also my liberty to not get involved in your hemorrhoidal problems, if I don't want to.

What is it with your libs that you keep nagging at me to do something for you that I want no part of. You remind me of those NYC subway peddlers that you can't get away from.

Last edited by Henry10; 12-31-2013 at 12:32 PM..

Old 12-31-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Besides, God, country and family, 2 more things are very important to me -- health and liberty.

Health: do I really want to entrust my health on the weakest actor? The Federal Govt? That is like trusting you game-winning shot to the worst player of your bench.

Liberty- I not only want my liberty so I can decide how best to provide healthcare to my family, but also my liberty to not get involved in your hemorroidal problems, if I don't want to.

What is it with your libs that you keep nagging at me to do something for you that I want no part of. You remind me of those NYC subway peddlers that you can't get away from.
I'm not a liberal. What I do know is the complete failure of allowing for-profit insurance the responsibility in the delivery of healthcare to Americans. Keep in mind, it's not medical care I'm talking about, I'm talking about insurance and nothing more. Because of our overly complex, layered, patched up system of delivery in this nation it is this reason why we have the most rationed delivery of care.

Now, I don't know you and don't care to because I know when folks throw in statements like "get involved in your hemorroidal problems" I know for a fact I've gotten under your skin. Now, stay healthy, and just like car insurance, try not to use health insurance if you don't have to, otherwise.........

Old 12-31-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
And the United States is a large magnet for all those benefits too? And if you state that yes the US is just making those shiftless lazy welfare people flush with cash than I know for a fact you have no clue in what you are talking about. Here, let me give you a fact regarding the US's method of delivery healthcare. Even though its for-profit insurance as the primary deliver of healthcare, the US certainly has budget shortfalls, hikes taxes and above all rations more health care than any modern western country on the planet. You are blind, so blind you don't even know it. For someone who's been around the planet you don't have a clue and certainly will not even attempt to figure out how our system of delivering healthcare rations, how it does it right under your nose.
First off, argument is about Europe's Social programs being a magnet for many immigrants. In fact many are older age, who really did not contribute throughout their working years to a system, while they receive equal benefits to someone who did.

You changed subject, shifted over to US Welfare while playing drama-queen. So stick with the subject.

That US system rations care is the default argument supporters of UHC make. There is great debate about this, and you can get blue in the face with reading pros and cons. But I am sure ideology has decided which side you're with.

Besides, I am not the one to hold US Healthcare system in high regard. As stated earlier in this thread, IMO it has many ills itself.

But to turn to the European model and shriek "ouh-la-la" Nirvana, is ignorant and regressive.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I'm not a liberal. What I do know is the complete failure of allowing for-profit insurance the responsibility in the delivery of healthcare to Americans. Keep in mind, it's not medical care I'm talking about, I'm talking about insurance and nothing more. Because of our overly complex, layered, patched up system of delivery in this nation it is this reason why we have the most rationed delivery of care.
I wrote 2-3 pages ago that if there was a way to get Insurance Cos out of the driver's seat in Healthcare I would love it. Both them and the Govt out of the Driver's seat. They have a role, but IMO they have taken too central of a role.

We NYers have plenty of thick skin, but that's the way we talk. No offense.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I'm not a liberal.
Not for nothing, you think like one. But that's OK. I got plenty of youse in NY. What else is new?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates