Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 07:36 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Not sure why having 6,000 die is a bad thing. Let me explain.

We lived with God as spirit children before we came here to the earth. The problem is that we had no understanding of true joy, pain, success or suffering. God presented a plan to us that would allow us to learn those things. This earth was built for us. we were then allowed to come here to earth to get a Physical body. We were also in a postion to learn good from bad, joy from sorrow. This is the place to prepare to meet God. Eventually we will also die and get to go back to that God that gave us life. During the Second coming of the Saivior, Jesus Christ, those that have died will be resurected, meaning that their Spirits will enter perfect Physical bodies. We will also be judged for how we acted here in life. Jesus spoke of his Fathers house having many mansions. All are differant. Depending on how we did here we will recieve a blessing and get to spend forever living in Heaven. The Bible talks about differant Kingdoms. The Celestial is the highest kingdom and is where our Heavenly Father lives. That is the place for all those that have accomplished what they were supposed to do here on earth. Others will enter lesser Kingdoms. Very few people will have no Kingdom and live in Outer Darkness, This is the place that the Devil lives at and their is no glory there.

For those that die they are allready on their way to learning their outcome. Small children that die have no worries as they can not sin.
As soon as I saw "we lived with God" I knew your post was based on that which cannot be proven, which in fact is much of what this thread has become. Arguments about the existence of a god which are based on the assumption of a god are circular, and serve no purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Like I said, the survivors acknowledge that they live in an imperfect world where such catastrophes can happen, due to the sin of Adam and Eve. God had the perfect world for humanity in the Garden of Eden.

The survivors turn to God for guidance while they work on recovering from the disaster that impacted their communities.
And this served what purpose? Everybody smiles and forgets that thousands of families are blown apart, nearly unlivable conditions will be the norm for months, everything they own has been destroyed? Ridiculous.

Quote:
You can see the thousands of testimonies by people of all nations, you can look at the very functions and properties of the world around us, and you can even see the way the universe itself is designed. Those are few of the many forms of evidence for God.

Just because God exists in a form we mortal humans can't sense physically doesn't mean that he doesn't exist.
The Emperor's New Clothes, again. Or is this more like "god is because god"?

Old 01-12-2014, 08:14 PM

14 posts, read 29,013 times
I'm always stunned how people refuse to apply any sort of logic to their religious beliefs. There are really rational adults out there who believe some old man named Noah rounded up 2 of every animal on the planet and built an ark big enough to house them all? There isn't a zoo on Earth with two of every animal. Or how bout the numerous people this "loving God" either kills himself or commands people to kill. Like the firstborn sons of all the Egyptians because the Pharaoh pissed him off. Or in Deuteronomy when God says if any of your family wants to worship other gods, you should kill them. I guess in that case you don't have to follow the "Thou shalt not kill" commandment.

The world would be much better off without religion because maybe it would force people to actually use their brains instead of blindly following something because their parents taught it to them.

I'm sure I'll get some Christian responding arrogantly about how I just don't understand the Bible because I'm an atheist, which prevents me from seeing the deeper meaning in all the murders this great God of theirs was a part of.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:20 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
I thought we were created in His image. Or is it Her image? And since you say science is providing proof of His or Her creations, why is He always white? I believe science leans towards man originating in Africa.
When it said God created man in his image, it didn't mean that God modeled humans after the way he looked; it means that God bestowed humans with some of the mental capabilities he has, such as the abilities of reason, logic, and forming abstract thoughts. Basically, God made humanity the way HE imagined them.

As for how God looks like, no one knows because "Nobody sees God and lives." God's appearance is much more unimaginable than even the most alien beings we can conceive in our minds. Paintings can show God as a bearded white man, but they are just that, paintings. The truth is, we don't know how God looks like.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD90 View Post
I'm always stunned how people refuse to apply any sort of logic to their religious beliefs. There are really rational adults out there who believe some old man named Noah rounded up 2 of every animal on the planet and built an ark big enough to house them all? There isn't a zoo on Earth with two of every animal. Or how bout the numerous people this "loving God" either kills himself or commands people to kill. Like the firstborn sons of all the Egyptians because the Pharaoh pissed him off. Or in Deuteronomy when God says if any of your family wants to worship other gods, you should kill them. I guess in that case you don't have to follow the "Thou shalt not kill" commandment.

The world would be much better off without religion because maybe it would force people to actually use their brains instead of blindly following something because their parents taught it to them.

I'm sure I'll get some Christian responding arrogantly about how I just don't understand the Bible because I'm an atheist, which prevents me from seeing the deeper meaning in all the murders this great God of theirs was a part of.
People still follow religion because it is not whacked out and silly, unlike what Atheists want individuals to believe.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
And this served what purpose? Everybody smiles and forgets that thousands of families are blown apart, nearly unlivable conditions will be the norm for months, everything they own has been destroyed? Ridiculous.
No fool; the survivors obviously know things have changed forever, with families being separated, and things being destroyed. But they also know that such storms that cause such calamities are from the imperfect world caused when man fell into sin. They turn to God to give them guidance as they work through the ravages of the imperfect world, and find safe haven.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:52 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,113,556 times
Quote:
People still follow religion because it is not whacked out and silly, unlike what Atheists want individuals to believe.

Talking snakes, incest, more incest, burning bushes that talk, 7~ million animals fitting on a boat smaller than the titanic, killing yourself as a sacrifice to yourself to appease yourself, totally not whacked out. Go religion.

Atheists typically believe that the world came into being through natural occurrences. Totally out there...

Old 01-12-2014, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,653 times
The church is the problem not the faith.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:08 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,113,556 times
Faith is believing something you know ain't so.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:26 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,346 times
If people would have better values, then it would be better

Old 01-12-2014, 10:58 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,570,996 times
I've met so many religious people who do things they know are bad and against their god's word, but do them anyway, knowing they'll be forgiven by their god. Now, if you were that god, at Judgement Day, wouldn't you say, "Hey, I saw you do such and such, even though I explicitly told you not to, and you knew it was bad. No Heaven for you!"

I was raised with good morals instead of religion, as was all of my mom's large family. (My dad's family was very religious and he rebelled, hence no religion for us.) I think the world would be a kinder place if we were raised to think of others, instead of being raised to be good or go to Hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates