Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 05:40 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Like I said, Atheists lack ability to extrapolate the true messages from the texts.
You say you are a friend of science but that the bible is the word of god and non-believers lack the ability to understand. How old is the planet? The Universe? The water that you drink everyday? 46% of Americans believe in creationism and that the world is 6000 - 10000 years old. They would also have to believe that science is highly flawed and be suspect of almost everything we now take for granted. The dichotomy is glaring.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:55 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
The world would be better off if there is no religion.

If people were just good people because they knew they should not because they feared what an invisible being that may or may not actually exist.

The fighting would stop between religion and between atheist and religious people.

I'm not religious but I have my own set of morals that I determined to be important to myself. I don't need a religion to tell me how to be a good person. I don't need to be scared into being a good person.

I don't steal.
I won't physically hurt another person. I'll only hit in self defense but I'd never punch someone because I was angry or trying to start a fight.
I go to work and I work hard.
I don't mooch off the government or my mommy and I'm 24, in today's world that's a miracle!
I do nice things for people. I treat people how I want to be treated.

I drink and smoke, not in heavy amounts but I am 24 so I do indulge quite a bit, not so much the drinking part though.
I live with my boyfriend, we're not even engaged.
I don't dress even moderately conservative. My jeans are tight, my shirts are too, I wear short shirts in the summer. I look like a walking hollister ad.

I don't think any of that makes me a terrible person.

The fact that I am a good hearted person who cares about others and doesn't ever harm others out of anger or spite.

What you wear, do, get pierced or sleep with is irrelevant.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:51 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
The world would be better off if there is no religion.

If people were just good people because they knew they should not because they feared what an invisible being that may or may not actually exist.

The fighting would stop between religion and between atheist and religious people.

I'm not religious but I have my own set of morals that I determined to be important to myself. I don't need a religion to tell me how to be a good person. I don't need to be scared into being a good person.

I don't steal.
I won't physically hurt another person. I'll only hit in self defense but I'd never punch someone because I was angry or trying to start a fight.
I go to work and I work hard.
I don't mooch off the government or my mommy and I'm 24, in today's world that's a miracle!
I do nice things for people. I treat people how I want to be treated.

I drink and smoke, not in heavy amounts but I am 24 so I do indulge quite a bit, not so much the drinking part though.
I live with my boyfriend, we're not even engaged.
I don't dress even moderately conservative. My jeans are tight, my shirts are too, I wear short shirts in the summer. I look like a walking hollister ad.

I don't think any of that makes me a terrible person.

The fact that I am a good hearted person who cares about others and doesn't ever harm others out of anger or spite.

What you wear, do, get pierced or sleep with is irrelevant.

This is obviously unsophistcated, but yet instructive. Constructing a moral code is based on observation and reason. Observation of our nature and the reality that surrounds us. Determination of what we need to be a living and successful being. And what others need to be the same. Reconciling our individual requirements within a social context. Agreeing to live by the code. It's that simple.

A moral code is defined by Man for his own use. It does not require religious belief. In fact, it is better that it NOT come from religious belief. Why? Because a moral code needs to be objective and reasonable. Injecting mysticism and fantasy makes it arbitrary and capricious. It's an intellectual exercise, not a spiritual one.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:52 AM

3 posts, read 3,449 times
Worse duh

Old 01-14-2014, 08:44 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Just like I said; we Theists believe that each and every thing in the universe was crafted carefully by the intelligent mind of God; the verses you posted clearly show the intelligent mind behind the creation ("poofing").

You Atheists believe that everything just poofed out of circumstance.

The "Our image" part is quite simple; God is accompanied by his angels in Heaven, remember? And the second chapter doesn't contradict itself; the English translation makes it appear that way.

You theists have a complete lack of evidence supporting you.
The evidence is on my side.

The verses I posted say that god spoke everything into existence by magic. You theists like to twist everything so you can rationalize it.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:44 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
You theists have a complete lack of evidence supporting you.
The evidence is on my side.

The verses I posted say that god spoke everything into existence by magic. You theists like to twist everything so you can rationalize it.
You are not doing any favors for the atheistic viewpoint. You sound as irrational and strident as some of the zealots. People are religious for a reason - they seek comfort and certainty, especially in times of desperation. That is a psychological need that is filled perfectly by religion. One need only attend a funeral to observe this. Especially a funeral for a friend or loved one.

You should not be attempting to beat people over the head with your viewpoint. Just express it in a civilized and articulate manner. If it is true and if it is rational, the rest will take care of itself over time. Everyone is receptive to truth. But not if it is delivered as an assault.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:52 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times
Seems the communist countries tried their hardest to stamp out all religion and turn everyone into atheists.

Not many of those countries survived , however.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:03 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Seems the communist countries tried their hardest to stamp out all religion and turn everyone into atheists.

Not many of those countries survived , however.

Communism is a religion itself. It's terrible. You can't force people to do anything and expect them to like it. As much as I despise religion, if I had the power to do so, I would not try to outlaw it. That will never end it.
Only through education, demonstration, and speaking out will religion cease.
We will, undoubtedly, reach a point where nearly all people ditch religion. We will never rid it absolutely.
There will always be some people who latch onto a crazy cult and drink the kool aid. But when it gets to that point, it won't matter. The rest of the world will be in a better state.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:17 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
Communism is a religion itself. It's terrible. You can't force people to do anything and expect them to like it. As much as I despise religion, if I had the power to do so, I would not try to outlaw it. That will never end it.
Only through education, demonstration, and speaking out will religion cease.
We will, undoubtedly, reach a point where nearly all people ditch religion. We will never rid it absolutely.
There will always be some people who latch onto a crazy cult and drink the kool aid. But when it gets to that point, it won't matter. The rest of the world will be in a better state.

a point to remember is that there are people dumber and less educated than me who are atheists.

there are people smarter and more educated than you that are believers.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:32 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
a point to remember is that there are people dumber and less educated than me who are atheists.

there are people smarter and more educated than you that are believers.
Some of the most educated people on the planet lack common sense. Some of the least educated have an abundance. This type of observation is pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates