Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 09:42 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,263,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGreat1 View Post
As I said, you're an IGNORAMUS. Let it go. YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED to refute theology. You're no more qualified to discuss theology than an auto mechanic is to perform heart surgery.

Far as "discrimination" you're the one who is harassing believers about our beliefs. Nobody has gone to you and attacked you for doing evil. Practice what you preach! You're not exposing a thing. You are, however, making yourself look like an uninvited tool and a leach. Until you create an entire universe, I will merely scoff at or deride anything you say in regard to your religious intolerance.

So what do you think about the Jewish religion? Is that a hoax too? Are you an anti-Semite as well? Now, this, I have to hear....
worst post I've read in a while.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:21 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,407,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
What you don't understand, and never will in all probability, is that there is no need to "turn to" anything. The universe and planet we live in and on is a place of sublime completeness and beauty. There is nothing "bigger" than you. There is nothing "beside" you. There is nothing "grander" than you. There is no one who "designed" you. There is no one who is going to "judge" you. You contain within your mind and body all the "bigness" you will ever need and more. However, it is up to you to embrace reality, embrace rationality, embrace yourself, and push yourself to a state of grace. What defines that state is for all of us to discover and nurture on our own as individuals and as members of families, teams, organizations, and eventually, nations.

It's all here, and nowhere else. And if you really think about it, it could never be otherwise, nor should it.
Ok please think about this, you are here for a very short time, what harm does it do to believe in a Heavenly Creator that wants you to Love Him and wants you too spend eternity with Him. Think of the alternative if you are wrong.

Because of my beliefs I can not help but feel so very very sorry for you while I'm here and truly Pray for you Because God Loves you as much as He does me.

brushrunner

Old 01-13-2014, 01:11 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Ok please think about this, you are here for a very short time, what harm does it do to believe in a Heavenly Creator that wants you to Love Him and wants you too spend eternity with Him. Think of the alternative if you are wrong.

Because of my beliefs I can not help but feel so very very sorry for you while I'm here and truly Pray for you Because God Loves you as much as He does me.

brushrunner
You are comfortable with what you believe, and so am I. So I think we're good!

Old 01-13-2014, 03:36 PM

14 posts, read 29,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
People still follow religion because it is not whacked out and silly, unlike what Atheists want individuals to believe.
No mention of all the murders God is involved in during the Bible? Come on, please explain to me how I'm misinterpreting that. Or did you just ignore that part of my post because you couldn't think of a clever way to explain it?

Quote:

brushrunner
Ah yes, hedging your bets to get into heaven. So you're saying if someone doesn't believe in God, they should believe just in case there's a really scary hell out there?

Old 01-13-2014, 03:45 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,263,571 times
Quote:

brushrunner
what is the alternative?

as a matter of fact, what is the thing that you believe [will happen with you when you die?]

and what is the alternative for those who don't believe?

Old 01-13-2014, 03:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
religiion sucks up a lot of assets. point well taken however without an attempt to collectively, as a group, have a sense of ethics, we would be nothing but a bunch of crocodiles.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:17 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
religiion sucks up a lot of assets. point well taken however without an attempt to collectively, as a group, have a sense of ethics, we would be nothing but a bunch of crocodiles.
This is a common fallacy.

Ethics is the branch of philosophy that addresses establishment of a moral code to guide our behavior. It has nothing to do with religious belief.

Religious belief is not at all necessary to devise an ethical code that defines morality and virtuous behavior.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:10 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,925,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD90 View Post
No mention of all the murders God is involved in during the Bible? Come on, please explain to me how I'm misinterpreting that. Or did you just ignore that part of my post because you couldn't think of a clever way to explain it?
Like I said, Atheists lack ability to extrapolate the true messages from the texts.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:19 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,925,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
You do realize that the bible literally explains the beginning of everything as "poofed into existence" right?

Genesis 1:3
3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

It just poofed into existence.

Genesis 1:6
6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.

Poof.

Genesis 1:9
9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

Poof, land.

Genesis 1:11

11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

Poof, plants.

Genesis 1:14

14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

Poof, stars?

Genesis 1:16

16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

Poof more lights, and more stars. Did he get drunk and forget he already made this ****?

Those damn scientists had to go and prove that the moon wasn't a light source, it's just a reflector.

Genesis 1:20
20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

Poof, animals

Genesis 1:24
24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.

Poof, more animals.

Genesis 1:26
26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Poof, man.
Our image? That's plural. Who's he talking about here?

Then when we get to the second chapter it starts contradicting itself.
Just like I said; we Theists believe that each and every thing in the universe was crafted carefully by the intelligent mind of God; the verses you posted clearly show the intelligent mind behind the creation ("poofing").

You Atheists believe that everything just poofed out of circumstance.

The "Our image" part is quite simple; God is accompanied by his angels in Heaven, remember? And the second chapter doesn't contradict itself; the English translation makes it appear that way.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:25 PM

14 posts, read 29,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Like I said, Atheists lack ability to extrapolate the true messages from the texts.
You've run your little "Get out of argument" free card into the ground. If I'm unable to understand the true message, and you supposedly can, why don't you make it clear to me and translate? God kills all the Egyptian firstborn. What meaning am I missing there? How bout when God says you should kill your family members for worshiping other gods? Explain that one to me too while we're at it. I'm more than happy to provide the Bible verses if necessary.

By the way, I was a Christian until my mid teens, and the parts of the Bible where God murdered people made just as little sense to me then as it does now. So all this talk about it being something atheists just don't understand is nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates