Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 12:26 AM

358 posts, read 512,376 times

Advertisements

I just cashed in two weeks of PTO time. I still have two or three weeks left and I earn three weeks a year, or maybe four now, I forget.

I just don't take many vacations. I probably should take more, but time goes by so fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 06:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Fear about being considered disloyal and losing their promotions to a toady or even their jobs.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:02 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I worked for a university for a long time, and the paid leave there began at 3 weeks and worked up to 4 weeks in pretty short order. You could extend your leave by timing it for holiday periods, so for example if you included Christmas & New Year (back when ppl got 2 days off for Xmas), you could get 3 extra paid days off. Or Xmas, New Year and ML King Day.

I don't think anyone should be forced to work all year for only 2 weeks of vacation. It's not healthy, really.

Academia is another story. In all the places I worked - I changed jobs every 3 years and I am a software engineer - I started with 2 weeks. For me - I'm European transplant too - vacation days are more precious than gold. Why companies don;t give more? Because they are greedy. We now have an anomaly in US: there are people who don't know what to do with their time if they have more than 2 weeks vacation. There are people who check their work emails when they are on vacation, thinking that the office wont survive without them.

One time I discuss this issue with a German coworker - he has returned to Germany since than - and he said that up to mid century (last century) Europeans and Americans had the same pay and the same vacation. And that at that point US companies decided ti give people more money and less vacation. I don;t know if this is true but people in US tend to be better paid than their counterpart in Europe.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:10 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
It used to be like that, but in recent jobs there is only 10 days PTO that you are supposed to use for anything you need: vacation, personal days or sick days. Since there's no law about vacation time, sick time and so on, employers give the least they can get away with. I also agree that's unhealthy.
That's the way it is where I work now, also where my son-in-law (age 29) works (separate banks of time for different things). I agree the lack of laws makes it all variable. My DH works with someone from France who says it's pretty comparable here. I expected him to say that France was much better!

Old 01-10-2014, 09:41 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Academia is another story. In all the places I worked - I changed jobs every 3 years and I am a software engineer - I started with 2 weeks. For me - I'm European transplant too - vacation days are more precious than gold. Why companies don;t give more? Because they are greedy. We now have an anomaly in US: there are people who don't know what to do with their time if they have more than 2 weeks vacation. There are people who check their work emails when they are on vacation, thinking that the office wont survive without them.

One time I discuss this issue with a German coworker - he has returned to Germany since than - and he said that up to mid century (last century) Europeans and Americans had the same pay and the same vacation. And that at that point US companies decided ti give people more money and less vacation. I don;t know if this is true but people in US tend to be better paid than their counterpart in Europe.
Very true. I'll take my higher pay and lesser vacation time. I have never worked any job where the starting paid leave was more than 2 weeks. I'm fine with that.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:12 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Private sector companies where I have worked are 1 week after a year, 7 sick/personal days. Takes 2-3 years to start adding another week of vacation.

Public sector jobs where I worked started with 3 weeks vacation plus 15 sick/personal days which started accruing immediately. One summer I took off every Monday, which was glorious.

Also noted that employees retire much younger at the public sector jobs with much better benefits. I really don't think private companies are greedy, they just have to balance their budgets to fit sales, while government agencies just raise taxes or push expenses down the road.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:17 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Americans prefer to work rather than lazily sitting on the beach.

Harrier would specify the exception, but this is the wrong forum.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:40 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Most Americans live to work and that is why. I know several folks who would rather be at work than take the 2 weeks paid time off.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:52 AM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,991 times
Different values.
Most Europeans would be horrified with the paltry 2 weeks that people in the usa start off with.
Also, aren't there lots of companies in the usa where if you actually take your vacation you're penalized ?
Sure, you have 2 weeks vacation but it you take them it means that you're lazy and unreliable.

It sounds insane to people from countries like Switzerland where pretty much everyone starts at 4 weeks. Guess what ? It's still a very well functioning extremely rich country and they work hard and well.

Thank God though americans aren't as bad as the Japanese and Koreans. They get less vacation and don't you dare take it!

Old 01-10-2014, 11:54 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, places that give two weeks vacation usually have a separate bank of sick days, generally about two weeks' worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
It used to be like that, but in recent jobs there is only 10 days PTO that you are supposed to use for anything you need: vacation, personal days or sick days. Since there's no law about vacation time, sick time and so on, employers give the least they can get away with. I also agree that's unhealthy.

I worked for Southwestern Bell in Houston 1977 - 1981 .... for the first 5 years service, we had 2 weeks vacation plus 3 EWP (excused with pay) and 2 EWN (excused with no pay).... After 5 years service, vacation was bumped to 3 weeks per year plus the 5 excused days .... and continued up in similar increments......

At that time, my friend worked for a bank, and got only 1 week paid vacation.... the bank's reasoning was that they got so many federal holidays that others didn't, that made up the difference in vacation time.....

that is my last and only experience with corporate life, so can't speak to what is the norm now.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates