Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 09:23 AM

417 posts, read 867,682 times

Advertisements

I work for a very large global bank and after being there 2.5 years I get paid for 25 personal days off plus 10 bank holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 01:46 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
About unpaid time off-

A few decades ago when we were young, a friend asked for some time off w/o pay for some reason. Her boss told her, "If we didn't need you, you wouldn't have a job here." I finally wrapped my mind around that. You should either be at work, or on some sort of paid time off or you're not very needed. OTOH, two personal days isn't much. Can you use sick days for appointments? I had a job once that let you do that. The pediatric office where I work has early evening (till 7 PM) appointments available Mon-Thurs.

And that attitude is why America is so ****ed up. We should work to live NOT live to work.
We have to put off our health, which is one of the worst mistakes a human can make, because companies are so poorly run that they can't get by without one person. That's not our fault, that's management's fault. Maybe they should stop being so damn greedy and demanding so much from each person.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:48 PM

358 posts, read 512,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
And that attitude is why America is so ****ed up. We should work to live NOT live to work.
We have to put off our health, which is one of the worst mistakes a human can make, because companies are so poorly run that they can't get by without one person. That's not our fault, that's management's fault. Maybe they should stop being so damn greedy and demanding so much from each person.
No, that's not management's fault. You are responsible for yourself. You must organize your time so you can do what you need to do. I haven't used much time off because I don't want to. It's there for me.

I have worked for a lot of companies in a lot of businesses in a lot of cities in my life and I have never had trouble taking paid time off when I need it. If you are a good employee, a good Team Member, management will find a way to help you out.

You seem to think anyone above you is greedy. You don't even understand what greed is. Start by looking in the mirror.

I have no doubt your resume is all spiffy, but attitude manifests in many ways. You reek of lazy, arrogant entitlement.

I'm sure that will go over well in Australia. :sarcasm:

Old 01-11-2014, 02:59 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
I've worked 80 hour weeks. I've worked 2 jobs at once. I've worked for minimum wage. That really shows how entitled I am. Yep. That's one of those buzzwords everyone likes to abuse these days.

I worked in a warehouse, 80 hour weeks. There IS NO time to do things outside of work. I could not get any time off, ever.
You had to come in sick, injured and on your day off. I had another employee run an electric pallet jack into me, messed me up pretty good. I had to finish out my shift.

I've had other jobs that would let me off if I needed to go to the doctor, even on short notice. Held that job for 8 years (entitlement, I tell you)

I had a 9-5 job, in a town where ALL the doctors closed at 5. I paid for insurance the entire time and couldn't use it once. I had an abscessed tooth, I couldn't even get an extra hour off for lunch, unpaid, to have it looked at.

Abscessed teeth can kill you.

This is not entitlement, this is wanting to be treated like a human.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:42 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,067 times
Anyway, Americans work 1790 hours per year compared to 1732 of Italians.
Americans "productivity" is 60 $ per hour whereas Italian one is 45,6 $ per hour.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:23 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I worked for a university for a long time, and the paid leave there began at 3 weeks and worked up to 4 weeks in pretty short order. You could extend your leave by timing it for holiday periods, so for example if you included Christmas & New Year (back when ppl got 2 days off for Xmas), you could get 3 extra paid days off. Or Xmas, New Year and ML King Day.

I don't think anyone should be forced to work all year for only 2 weeks of vacation. It's not healthy, really.

My dh has a similar deal, he got a full month paid off for Dec. He really needed that time, just to rest, catch up on household stuff, etc. I feel the "work 'till you drop" attitude favors the younger workers and acts to weed out the older ones, forcing many into early retirement.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:51 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Where does the data come from? I have been at this job 5 years and currently have 5 weeks on the books, with some carried over since I usually only use more than a week or 10 days. I got two weeks the first year and it increases every other year. Teachers and other school staff get 2+ months off and are paid all year.
Teachers do not get paid for time that they are off. They only get paid for the days they work. Their time off is the equivalent to a yearly unpaid furlough.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:52 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,939,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My dh has a similar deal, he got a full month paid off for Dec. He really needed that time, just to rest, catch up on household stuff, etc. I feel the "work 'till you drop" attitude favors the younger workers and acts to weed out the older ones, forcing many into early retirement.
A month-long paid absence from work sounds incredible to me at the moment, but I probably wouldn't go for it even if I had the option--I find that using my paid time off for a long, 3-day weekend here, a 4-day weekend there (preferably once a month when feasible), and maybe a solid two weeks during the summer, has kept me pretty level.

With my current employer, I've accrued about 192 hours--24 days--of PTO annually (which is almost equivalent to what I was accruing as one of those spoiled state employees). A lot of my co-workers won't touch their PTO for any reason short of a personal catastrophe, which of course allows it to roll over into the next year. A buyout is an option, and some people will cash out 40 hours, the maximum buyout allowed per pay period, to tack onto their paycheck rather than use it in the form of a vacation absence. Live to work, indeed.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:46 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
Higher salaries than in Switzerland ?
For the same job, and adjusted for purchasing power, American salaries are about the same as in Switzerland or a little higher. (Remember, Switzerland is the land of the $15 cheeseburger.) Switzerland has very few unskilled workers, making the comparison difficult. A country with 1200 banks will have a high average paycheck, but that doesn't mean that people get paid more for the same work.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:05 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Anyway, Americans work 1790 hours per year compared to 1732 of Italians.
Americans "productivity" is 60 $ per hour whereas Italian one is 45,6 $ per hour.
Wouldn't it be great if Americans got paid according to their productivity? Maybe they could afford to foot the bill for their own vacations and paid holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates