Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 07:52 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Where does the data come from? I have been at this job 5 years and currently have 5 weeks on the books, with some carried over since I usually only use more than a week or 10 days. I got two weeks the first year and it increases every other year. Teachers and other school staff get 2+ months off and are paid all year.
In my state, they are required to take professional classes at their own expense for about 6 weeks of that 2 months they have "off." If they don't, they lose their teaching license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 07:54 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
But of course. The US is the worst, for everything, in every way! Don't you guys get tired of posting such stuff?

Because some countries ARE better at some things than america. No one said the U$ was the worst at everything. Why do people get so defensive when another country does something better than America? The fact is, America could improve in a lot of areas, but saying this does not imply it's the worst nation, just that improvements could be made. Just blindly defending America and saying it's the greatest on earth doesn't accomplish a whole lot either.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:17 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,498,333 times
Enjoy the vacations while you can because American compnaies are not going to keep on paying people to not work when they do not have to.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:48 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
A month or so ago I interviewed for a job that gave 2 weeks vacation after a year, and 3 weeks after 5 years.

My first thought was: Is this 2013 or 1913?

When I was offered the job, I asked about negotiating for additional vacation. They didn't even say no; the offer was rescinded. Apparently these people don't negotiate.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:04 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,498,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
A month or so ago I interviewed for a job that gave 2 weeks vacation after a year, and 3 weeks after 5 years.

My first thought was: Is this 2013 or 1913?

When I was offered the job, I asked about negotiating for additional vacation. They didn't even say no; the offer was rescinded. Apparently these people don't negotiate.
You are wanting more for yourself, than you are worth to them.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:42 PM

358 posts, read 512,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
By average maybe. All these billionaire paychecks skewing the results. I'm sure as **** not making a lot of money. Hell, I can't even get a job.
The middle class pay has gone DOWN and the whole class is disappearing. I'll make more on minimum wage i Australia than I'll make here with a degree. It's bull****. F$%* America.

I was born here...
With your attitude I wouldn't hire you. No wonder no one else will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The myopia is astonishing. Most US workers don't get paid sick leave, vacations or holidays. They are paid by the hour, and if they are not at work they don't get paid. The only paid time off they ever get is an unemployment claim. They often work long hours for two or three years without a break.
That is simply not true.

Last edited by mbradleyc; 01-10-2014 at 09:53 PM..

Old 01-11-2014, 01:25 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,120,086 times
Yeah, I should remove the swear words and abrasiveness from my resume....

Old 01-11-2014, 08:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Because some countries ARE better at some things than america. No one said the U$ was the worst at everything. Why do people get so defensive when another country does something better than America? The fact is, America could improve in a lot of areas, but saying this does not imply it's the worst nation, just that improvements could be made. Just blindly defending America and saying it's the greatest on earth doesn't accomplish a whole lot either.
Ah, that cardinal sin of the mental health set-defensive! Really, how many people know the inner workings of any system other than their own? If you note, I didn't say the bold you have attributed to me. It's well known that the Asian cultures are more paternalistic, but they also expect you not to complain about everything.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:58 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,354,812 times
I would be OK with not having more paid vacation, (currently 2 weeks) but being able to take time more time off unpaid without jeopardizing my job... we only get 2 unpaid personal days a year ... I can barely make doctor appointments for myself and children with those two days. I know I am putting off medical tests just because scheduling them is so difficult. But if I take off anymore, I may get written up. Doctors appointments are pretty much 8am til 4 pm. No Sats and night appts available.

There are some companies whose policies are just screwed up... but getting government to legislate anything is not the answer to the problem.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:04 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I would be OK with not having more paid vacation, (currently 2 weeks) but being able to take time more time off unpaid without jeopardizing my job... we only get 2 unpaid personal days a year ... I can barely make doctor appointments for myself and children with those two days. I know I am putting off medical tests just because scheduling them is so difficult. But if I take off anymore, I may get written up. Doctors appointments are pretty much 8am til 4 pm. No Sats and night appts available.

There are some companies whose policies are just screwed up... but getting government to legislate anything is not the answer to the problem.
About unpaid time off-

A few decades ago when we were young, a friend asked for some time off w/o pay for some reason. Her boss told her, "If we didn't need you, you wouldn't have a job here." I finally wrapped my mind around that. You should either be at work, or on some sort of paid time off or you're not very needed. OTOH, two personal days isn't much. Can you use sick days for appointments? I had a job once that let you do that. The pediatric office where I work has early evening (till 7 PM) appointments available Mon-Thurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates