Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 07:08 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,277,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
You just don't get it. The issue some people take with sexual objectification is not about you getting turned on or not. It's not about whether people have the right to wear lingerie or straddle a pole. Of course people have the right to do such things. That a woman is valued for her boobs and ass is a harming message our society sends to little girls and young women. That is a fact. Granted, that's obviously not your concern, but don't charge feminism for going wrong. Your misunderstanding of feminism is the only thing that I can see that is wrong here.

And let's be clear, it's not being sex objects for men that empower women. That only harms women. It's equal opportunity that empowers women. It's that men can no longer stand in the way of women (to many degrees at least) that empower women. It's self-reliance, purpose, and an inner sense of value for talents and intelligence that empower women.
Sexuality and selling sex are not interchangeable for many of us.
People should not objectify other people.

I am aware that there are people that do objectify.

No one should ever be considered to be an object let alone a sex object. That's almost criminal and that is sociopathic.

There is a healthy balance of sexuality in relationships, and sexuality is an asset to both men and women. It's certainly not a burden as you make it out to be. So because some other woman wants to look or feel sexy, work at hooters, or whatever, is she contributing to some dolts objectification of women? I say no, and I don't like that there are women that look at her with disapproval. Do those women's views/opinion make them better because they choose not to wear heels, makeup, dress sexy etc? I say no.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Feminists are not opposed to sexy men or women.

Treating women exclusively as sex objects is, however, objectionable and prevents women from being taken seriously, being recignized for their abilities, or advancing to their potential. For example, just ask yourself how often a journalist writes anything about what a male politician wears, but for women it's constant.

Hooters? You don't really expect us to believe you go there because you love the food, do you?

You may have heard of the recent interview that Lena Dunham did in which the (male) TV critic told her that he didn't get the point to the nudity on her show, since her naked body doesn't look good enough to turn him on (the word he used was "tittillating", but that was exactly the point).

Or take the latest example, which just happened. A young woman won a tennis match, and what did they ask her about? Her breasts. I kid you not.

And you're trying to say that feminists have gone overboard because they want women to be taken seriously for their abilities and accomplishments instead of for their looks? I'm afraid I can't go along with you there.
I agree! Objectification is sociopathic. How can you look at someone and not feel an emotional connection?

Anyone's looks are an asset, presentation is important to people. Do some take it far? Yes.

Does Sonia Sotomayor deserve to look down on Giselle Bundchen because of what she chose to do with her life? I say no.

Giselle Bundchen is a successful businesswoman, as Sonia Sotomayor is a successful judge.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:56 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
Quote:
In another thread I found a link to this video. Look at the comments from the many men for the memorial video for the beautiful young girl. The very real consequences of sexual objectification in action.

R.I.P. Cassie - YouTube

This young girl dies and what are the comments left for her grieving family to see?
What exactly offended you? It all seemed very appropriate to me. I hope it was not "You will be one of the most beautiful angels in heaven"?!!

Maybe the messages scrolled into the cross is what you referred to?? That writing was way too small for me to read, so I may have missed it.

Sorry, I am not seeing anything offensive here. It was a very caring and moving tribute.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:29 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
What exactly offended you? It all seemed very appropriate to me. I hope it was not "You will be one of the most beautiful angels in heaven"?!!

Maybe the messages scrolled into the cross is what you referred to?? That writing was way too small for me to read, so I may have missed it.

Sorry, I am not seeing anything offensive here. It was a very caring and moving tribute.
What did I say? Look-at-the-comments-by-the-many-men. You know, youtube videos tend to have comments. The comments suggesting this dead girl should have sucked their c*cks while she was alive. The comments calling her a sl*t for holding a baby (suggesting out of wedlock mother or something). So yes, it was a very moving tribute and what did many of these guys focus on? T&A, T&A, T&A. Bravo.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:40 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
Feminism started off so well, now its another F word.

The world has forgotten what it used to mean - equal rights.

Saying young women have the right to be flagrantly sexual per Miley Cyrus is correct, they do

The worrisome part is when oozing sexuality becomes mandatory, per Madonna, Britney, Beyonce, Christina, Pink etc etc on and on, while men get to stand on stage, keep their clothes on, and sing to/about nameless half naked women writhing around like so many snakes.

There is a massive double standard as usual. Just turn on your evening news chances are you'll have yet another pretty young blonde newsreader doing the dull stories while the unglamorous male dinosaur beside her gets the headlines, the yammer, and fifteen times her salary for doing nothing more than showing up every day.

So much for feminism.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
What did I say? Look-at-the-comments-by-the-many-men. You know, youtube videos tend to have comments. The comments suggesting this dead girl should have sucked their c*cks while she was alive. The comments calling her a sl*t for holding a baby (suggesting out of wedlock mother or something). So yes, it was a very moving tribute and what did many of these guys focus on? T&A, T&A, T&A. Bravo.
Yes, I just read some of the comments. Sick and disgusting! I originally mistakenly thought from your comment it was something on the video itself. My honest mistake.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Feminism started off so well, now its another F word.

The world has forgotten what it used to mean - equal rights.

Saying young women have the right to be flagrantly sexual per Miley Cyrus is correct, they do

The worrisome part is when oozing sexuality becomes mandatory, per Madonna, Britney, Beyonce, Christina, Pink etc etc on and on, while men get to stand on stage, keep their clothes on, and sing to/about nameless half naked women writhing around like so many snakes.

There is a massive double standard as usual. Just turn on your evening news chances are you'll have yet another pretty young blonde newsreader doing the dull stories while the unglamorous male dinosaur beside her gets the headlines, the yammer, and fifteen times her salary for doing nothing more than showing up every day.

So much for feminism.
I really doubt there is that big a gap in pay. I doubt a woman doing the news gets 1/15th the guy's salary unless she has just begun her career and he is a long time news veteran. As for the pop singers, that may be unfortunate, but you are talking about an extremely small percentage of the American people (a small fraction of 1%).

In the office, there has been progress and that is the majority of Americans.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Yes, I just read some of the comments. Sick and disgusting! I originally mistakenly thought from your comment it was something on the video itself. My honest mistake.
It is disgusting. I hope to God her family is not reading that filth. It would make me postal insane if it were my daughter. Culturally and socially there has to be a better way, but we don't hold ourselves and each other to higher and more honest standards. It seems that, socially, we cleave to sexually dysfunctional worldviews; either fear based puritanical restrictiveness or sex for sale that idolizes the unreal (fake boobs, photoshopped people, etc) essentially sexual consumerism. And both are about sexual objetification and the antithesis of sexua freedom IMO. We can see this played out in real time in that comments section.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
People should not objectify other people.

I am aware that there are people that do objectify.

No one should ever be considered to be an object let alone a sex object. That's almost criminal and that is sociopathic.

There is a healthy balance of sexuality in relationships, and sexuality is an asset to both men and women. It's certainly not a burden as you make it out to be. So because some other woman wants to look or feel sexy, work at hooters, or whatever, is she contributing to some dolts objectification of women? I say no, and I don't like that there are women that look at her with disapproval. Do those women's views/opinion make them better because they choose not to wear heels, makeup, dress sexy etc? I say no.
You still don't get it and I don't think you have the capacity to grasp the point. You are discussing and assuming pettiness. That's not what matters.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
You still don't get it and I don't think you have the capacity to grasp the point. You are discussing and assuming pettiness. That's not what matters.
Me being petty?

How do you solve the problem? What will quell your fear? Burkas? Ban on Sexy Ads by committee voted in by your peers? What is your solution?

I offer solutions, and the problem I see is not the women but those dolts. You cannot live your life in fear, those people that objectify are wrong, so you want everyone to stop being sexy because some person does not have any manners or tact when interviewing or talking or some antisocial recluse objectifies people?

The only solution I see is making the person that perpetrates that behavior aware that it's stupid and wrong, and as for the trolls online, they will say anything to cause emotional reactions.

I think your stress over commercials/ads is petty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates