Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 12:45 AM

834 posts, read 1,217,454 times

Advertisements

America can not start going nude--we are not Europeans who are used to it and can handle nudity with respect and nonchalance. American men go gaga about a woman not wearing a bra below her sweater! They are hooting and hollering when a random miniskirt goes by. Young urban men call every female in sight already '******* & hos'. American men are raw and have no manners, hence the few nude beaches are chockfull of sleazy guys and gays. Few to no women brave that scenario.

Besides the point, Americans are the most overweight nation in the western world. The exposed flesh is too much to handle and better covered for aesthetic purposes. If suggest for all to agree on the reason that our 'morals' are different, even that it's a lie. But it sounds much more elegant and civilized.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:48 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopOnPop View Post
I have never had much of an urge to strip in public places, but I don't get why people care if others do this? Especially at places like the beach, or when a woman breast-feeds, why do people feel a need to complain about seeing too much skin? It doesn't destroy children's lives. It doesn't even cause more auto accidents. So, why is it such a big issue for most Americans -- its not like anyone is forcing YOU to nude-up, right? What happened to the live-and-let-live American ethic when if comes to 'nudity as fashion' ?
If you're young and have a nice body, why not.

If you're a person that nobody wants to see nude, um, keep your clothes on!

Old 03-16-2014, 05:34 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
In Columbus Ohio they allow women to go about bare breasted in public. My brother has seen them walking around town.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:06 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,069 times
Too many fat people in the world today.

I certainly do not want to see the obese or elderly walking around with everything hanging out.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:59 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
I think Americans should be more open to public modesty.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:10 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Most Americans are too sexed up to have anyone walk around naked. If a woman was out in her yard trimming the roses in the buff there would be accidents by people driving, a throng of guys taking cell phone videos and posting to the web etc.. until the cops were called.
Most American males couldn't handle nudity.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:09 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,286 times
We are only averse to nudity because we have been conditioned to be so. Ever since day one of our earthly existence, we have been conditioned to wear and see others wear clothing. I find it interesting that certain tribal cultures see nudity as normal---because no one has told/taught them otherwise. Remember all the naked people in National Geographic magazine? Personally, I would like to think that it wouldn't bother me if people walked around nude in public. But I would be lying--alas, I am of the western culture and cannot escape its conditioning entirely. There's a lot to be said for modesty (in our culture, that is). Clothes do serve a sensible purpose--at the very least--protection against sun, wind, burning, hypothermia, etc.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:44 AM

311 posts, read 450,794 times
I feel that compared to Europe, Americans are more reserved when it comes to natural bodies. For instance, no bras, underarm hair, nudity on magazine covers, movies, etc. I think breast feeding is a natural thing that shouldn't have to be hidden behind a wall. It's just a breast. Some people like to stir up drama when there really isn't any to begin with.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:49 AM

723 posts, read 868,510 times
I think it's ridiculous that you can be punished for public nudity. No one is born being offended by it, they become offended after they hear other people tell them they should be offended by it. It is a learned cultural taboo and it seems crazy that someone has a right to force someone else to cover themselves. Who is it hurting, and why? And why can't they just look away if they don't like it? And WHY in our society is it that the one who gets his way is the one doing the complaining - why should the rest of us care if someone gets upset about something that need not involve them?

Old 03-16-2014, 12:58 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,112 times
No thanks. I just know that the people who would opt out of clothes are not the ones I want to see naked. It's not like SI swim suit models are going to be walking down the street in the buff. More likely it'll be the golden girls and who wants to see that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates