Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 07:52 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,296 times

Advertisements

One of the most enlightening threads I have ever read on City Data. Other than a few off-key posts ("They run this country") it was time well spent. (OK - back to work)

Old 04-17-2014, 07:55 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
I fail to see where genetics has any influence.

That is so. But does not answer why Jews accumulate money more than others way out of proportion to their numbers.

As I see it, they are pushed into fields by family and Jewish "culture" where the money is. It is all money driven. They do stick together for sure. I have never met a Jewish engineer, apart from Israelis. Israel needs people at every strata, however in other countries they go for the money aspect. Engineering does not return as much as finance. Jewish people were traditionally referred as a parasite people. Maybe a bit harsh as many are wealth creators.
Half the professionals in my family are engineers (and Jewish) so, not sure where that perception comes from. And we're (Jewish people) not driven by money, we're taught from an early age that education is important, that knowledge is power and that we should aspire to make the most of our abilities. Plus, Jewish parents generally work hard at being supportive and providing for their families - don't ever underestimate the value of a stable, loving home environment.

For me, personally, I was encouraged to pursue career options where I displayed either natural ability or a certain propensity. And despite not coming from a well-to-do family, my parents made it clear they'd help me pay for whatever education I pursued. That helped enormously (the encouragement, not the financial assistance - I paid my own way).

Old 04-17-2014, 08:34 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,831 times
Personally, I find it interesting that the OP chose to focus his or her attention on 139 (35%) out of 400 people in this list. If I were trying to figure out the traits that make some people more successful than others, I'd want to look at what characteristics the majority (in this case, the other 65%) of people in the group have in common. JMO

Old 04-17-2014, 09:12 AM

646 posts, read 926,760 times
Quote:
I fail to see where genetics has any influence.

That is so. But does not answer why Jews accumulate money more than others way out of proportion to their numbers.

As I see it, they are pushed into fields by family and Jewish "culture" where the money is. It is all money driven. They do stick together for sure. I have never met a Jewish engineer, apart from Israelis. Israel needs people at every strata, however in other countries they go for the money aspect. Engineering does not return as much as finance. Jewish people were traditionally referred as a parasite people. Maybe a bit harsh as many are wealth creators.
genetics has influence on intellect no doubt, some people are jus born with brains
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
Personally, I find it interesting that the OP chose to focus his or her attention on 139 (35%) out of 400 people in this list. If I were trying to figure out the traits that make some people more successful than others, I'd want to look at what characteristics the majority (in this case, the other 65%) of people in the group have in common. JMO
the point is that jews make up only a small % of total pop while making up 35% of the richest people.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:59 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,064,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Half the professionals in my family are engineers (and Jewish) so, not sure where that perception comes from.
I am from the UK and have never come across a Jewish engineer. My neighbour was an Israeli and an engineer who was here for 5 years or so then went back. The only one I ever came across. Jewish people tend to be in business or finance or middle men. They have a thing about running their own business, even if they are not good at it - some are very poor at it. I can see going that route if you get discrimination in the workplace, but I see no discrimination of Jewish people in the UK. I have met many who have an obsession of accumulating money. Their lives are miserable as they just work, work, work. They work as money is the goal. I regard money as means to the goal. A different outlook.
Quote:
And we're (Jewish people) not driven by money, we're taught from an early age that education is important, that knowledge is power and that we should aspire to make the most of our abilities. Plus, Jewish parents generally work hard at being supportive and providing for their families - don't ever underestimate the value of a stable, loving home environment.
Others do exactly the same in their families. But overall they do not corner wealth.

Quote:
For me, personally, I was encouraged to pursue career options where I displayed either natural ability or a certain propensity. And despite not coming from a well-to-do family, my parents made it clear they'd help me pay for whatever education I pursued. That helped enormously (the encouragement, not the financial assistance - I paid my own way).
Great you did it by yourself.

Last edited by John-UK; 04-17-2014 at 10:59 AM..

Old 04-17-2014, 10:01 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,064,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
genetics has influence on intellect no doubt, some people are jus born with brains
Jewish people are not naturally more intelligent. Moderator cut: snip Look at all the major inventions. Jews are rarely involved.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-17-2014 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: Discuss the topic, not the poster

Old 04-17-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Jewish people are not naturally more intelligent. That is just plain stupid to say that. Look at all the major inventions. Jews are rarely involved.
The Nobel Foundation of Sweden awards the Nobel Prizes to men and women who have rendered the greatest service to humankind. Of the 750 Nobel Prizes awarded worldwide between 1901 and 2007, at least 162 were awarded to Jews. While Jews are approximately 0.25% of the world's population, Jews make up approximately 22% of all Nobel Prize laureates worldwide.

u see a pattern yet? Jewish Nobel Prize Winners - Jewish Contributions to Society

Nuclear weapons are some of the most sophisticated things ever invented:
Robert Oppenheimer - Manhattan Project (jew)
Edward Teller - Hydrogen Bomb (jew)

It's the reality of it. Jews are often smart, black people are often athletic, hispanics are hard working. Everyone got their own thing or not. U can develop smart a great deal, but most of it is from genes.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:50 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
No Jews are not naturally more intelligent.

No, they are not an ethnic group, but a religion.

Yes, they raise their children in a way that emphasizes education. Birth control is encouraged. Teenaged pregnancies not permitted.Not ever.

COLLEGE is a MUST. And YES is is preferred over trades. There can be exceptions. Our carpenter (a skilled trademan with his own business, is Jewish. He also has a BA and went away to college)

Sports - de-emphasized except as a spectator or fan. In HS they distract from academics.

Elders in family help the youth to get started in life. Renting is discouraged or unheard of because children are helped with down payments.

Marriage is central to the faith. Among the Reform Jews, Gay marriage or partnerships are accepted.

When parents become elderly, adult children help them. That would include aunts, uncles, and grandparents.

Childbearing is a little later than most religious and cultural groups. As is marriage which comes first. Always.

Holidays and rights of passage are observed without question by youth.
They participate in Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, Passover Seder, and other festivities well into their teens and 20s. They are expected to be there. And they don't complain. It's an obligation to their parents and a tradition.

The ultra wealthy have unusually similar standards i the way that they raise their children.

Think of the Kennedy and Bush clans. They all went to college, regardless of intellect, aptitude and interest. Four year colleges, by the way.
Public service and helping the less fortunate was stressed.

Children are helped throughout the lifespan.

John F. Kennedy was a lack luster student at prep-school, but blossomed at Harvard.

George HW Bush was similarly undistinguished in prep school, yet he got through Yale. Moderator cut: snip
And obtained a masters degree.

Both of these rather illustrious American families have each contributed much to their country.

Both show high regard for their parents and elders.

The youth of each family has made mistakes, but was never kicked to the curb, cut off told to make it o their own.

Last I checked, neither the Bush's nor the Kennedy families are Jewish.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-17-2014 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: We were all off topic

Old 04-17-2014, 10:54 AM

Sheena-Jews ARE an ethnic group. They have their own language and culture, this is why there is Israel, a state of Jewish people. People who participate in Judaism are religious Jews. If people convert, they become religious Jews, but not ethnic ones. I dont practice religion so Im jus a Jew by blood. Its a common American misconception that its only a religion.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:04 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

No, they are not an ethnic group, but a religion.
Ethnic Group definition according to dictionary.com
  1. pertaining to or characteristic of a people, especially a group (ethnic group) sharing a common and distinctive culture, religion, language, or the like.
  2. referring to the origin, classification, characteristics, etc., of such groups.
  3. being a member of an ethnic group, especially of a group that is a minority within a larger society: ethnic Chinese in San Francisco.
  4. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of members of such a group.
  5. belonging to or deriving from the cultural, racial, religious, or linguistic traditions of a people or country: ethnic dances.
Moderator cut: off topic
I do however agree that nurture plays a monumental role in success.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-17-2014 at 01:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates