Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2014, 08:40 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post

3. Make the first half mile to mile of land from the boarder on into the US a military zone that is a no questions asked shoot first if you are not military
I'm sure our soldiers would take out armed cartel drug runners but I really doubt they would shoot women and children wandering across the desert...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 02:17 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
No we don't go after the employment because virtually everyone with reasonable income benefits.
I doubt that those with reasonable incomes are benefiting from undocumented workers. A

In the first place, we don't generally have nannies, housekeepers, gardeners, pool guys, etc.

Second, as undocumented workers are willing to work for less, it drags wages down for those in the reasonable income bracket.. Plus, they take jobs such as meatpacking, etc. that used to be all done by citizens at a reasonable rate of pay.

Third, small business people making reasonable incomes are at a competitive disadvantage if they operate within the law and their competitors hire undocumented workers.

The nickel or so we save on a few heads of lettuce or a sack of apples, is more than covered by the taxes we pay to cover police, fire protection, schools, roads, medical care... for those that are being paid in cash.

Those with reasonable incomes do not benefit from this situation anywhere near the way the wealthy do. I suspect it is a negative for most of us.

For more info:

The Real Impact of Illegal Immigration

Old 08-04-2014, 12:36 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,912 times
I ask you, what type of person would leave their newborn baby and not see them for eight years and STILL be called decent mothers and fathers? that's because they are not good parents, they are selfish, greedy, no good criminals sucking us dry. Deport each and everyone of them, and do it now. We don't want criminals..

Old 08-04-2014, 01:00 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
I ask you, what type of person would leave their newborn baby and not see them for eight years and STILL be called decent mothers and fathers? that's because they are not good parents, they are selfish, greedy, no good criminals sucking us dry. Deport each and everyone of them, and do it now. We don't want criminals..
No, not true at all. When I was overseas, I knew a good number of Third World parents who left their children with relatives while they looked for work in other countries where they could find it.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:29 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No, not true at all. When I was overseas, I knew a good number of Third World parents who left their children with relatives while they looked for work in other countries where they could find it.

Ralph, I'm talking about the kids who we're with Human Traffickers for a thousand miles . And it is true..

Old 08-04-2014, 02:06 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
Ralph, I'm talking about the kids who we're with Human Traffickers for a thousand miles . And it is true..
What you said was:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knightly Knight

I ask you, what type of person would leave their newborn baby and not see them for eight years and STILL be called decent mothers and fathers? that's because they are not good parents, they are selfish,
greedy, no good criminals sucking us dry. Deport each and everyone of them, and do it now. We don't want criminals..
No, you did not say "the kids who we're with Human Traffickers for a thousand miles."

Even then, if any of these parents remotely arranged what they thought was a viable way to bring their kids to them--clearly someone made the substantial upfront payment to the coyotes-- that denotes desperate behavior, not criminal behavior.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:15 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,599 times
1) Work with Mexico and the rest of Central American governments to stop their people from wanting to leave.
2) Quadrupled the border patrol and increase air surveillance.
3) Follow up an all the laws already inplace
4) Deport anyone without legal identification immediately, their whole family if needed
5) Give them one week to get an ID starting on a specific date

I am not a Trump supporter, the only thing I agree with is stronger immigration surveillance. I know a lot of people that feel the same way.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:20 PM

50,812 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
Forget the wall. People will find ways to get over, under or around it.

You've got to make the penalty for employing those here illegally so unpalatable that no one would dare do it. Maybe work out a deal with these Central American countries to send offending employers to their jails for a while.
The reason the wall will be less than the solution Donnie thinks it will be is a modern new technology called -- ready for it -- boats. It would be an incredibly easy trip from the coast of Mexico to the coast of Texas. In fact, probably easier than smuggling people across a dessert. I'm surprised it isn't done more often.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:04 AM

50,812 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Everyone needs to realize it takes a multi step approach to make anything work. E verify is one step. Militarizing the border is another. Fining the hell out of employers that hire illegals is another. We need all 3 and more. The scary video of people in cages is 4, and that seems to have a lot considering the actions of illegals.
I think you don't understand the mentality of those who worship the concept of the wall. They are foolish enough to think that a simple solution -- and that Mexico will pay for -- is all that is needed. They don't understand the problems are complex. They want to be fed pablum and be told it's consommé.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:35 AM

11,101 posts, read 7,159,415 times
If Mexico's economy was boosted and strengthened, it'd virtually eliminate the desire for people to cross the border. It would resolve the "border security" stuff, and the wall nonsense.

You can either attack a problem at its roots, or throw stupid bandaid "fixes" at it, like we tend to see with our government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates