Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 08:51 PM

2,233 posts, read 2,403,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
The comment section of another site is not usually worthy of the great debates section. It's also not usually worth of being read by anyone.

What is your actual stance? Do you think not having children is selfish, or not? Do you think being selfish is a problem, or not?

I'm not sure I follow your argument here.
I actually find the comment sections more interesting than the actual articles. Anyway, I personally don't think it's selfish at all. But apparently a lot of people do. I don't see how it's selfish if you aren't hurting anyone.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:31 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,237 times
People are not obsessed with having children. The more likely situation is many people are putting off having children because they can't afford one in this economy! Where have you been living??

http://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/p20-570.pdf

I cannot believe how people don't see the connection between economic factors and lifestyle choices. There is a reason why people behave differently during an economic boom versus a recession. People may talk a lot about having children because they can't have any. If you read the census report, the birth rate per family has dropped and there are less SAHMs now than before the recession. When people can't afford to have a SAHM to care for a child, how can they afford to have children in the first place? Daycare is expensive. People have to delay childbearing, and with that comes advanced maternal age. Older mothers have their own host of issues to deal with.

There are many factors to consider. It's not because people are "obsessed."

Old 08-02-2014, 10:48 PM

17,614 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I have noticed that the majority of Americans are very keen on having children and find it weird when someone doesn't want to have kids. Why are Americans so obsessed with having children? What's so great about it?

And why do people call women selfish when they don't have the desire to have children? I think it's better to admit you're selfish than have kids you're going to resent later on. And with how uncertain the economy is these days, how do people even afford to have children?

Check out this article I found about more women choosing dogs over children: More young women choosing dogs over motherhood | New York Post

A lot of the commenters were very hostile and said these women were deranged and selfish for not wanting to pop out a few kids.

Does anyone else have trouble understanding the fascination with having kids?
How is having kids selfish when you're giving over much of your life to the kid? If anyone is selfish, it's the one who doesn't want kids since it would interfere with their lifestyle. While it's true that some adults aren't good parent material, I feel some choose not to have kids either because they hate children or they're so self centered that they don't want all the distractions and time being a responsible parent requires.

And so I ask you,...Why does adults wanting to have children bother your little world? Do you hate kids? Are you some ultra-environmentalist who feels we need to reduce the world's population? Why does it bother YOU?!

Old 08-02-2014, 10:56 PM

17,614 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
People are not obsessed with having children. The more likely situation is many people are putting off having children because they can't afford one in this economy! Where have you been living??

http://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/p20-570.pdf

I cannot believe how people don't see the connection between economic factors and lifestyle choices. There is a reason why people behave differently during an economic boom versus a recession. People may talk a lot about having children because they can't have any. If you read the census report, the birth rate per family has dropped and there are less SAHMs now than before the recession. When people can't afford to have a SAHM to care for a child, how can they afford to have children in the first place? Daycare is expensive. People have to delay childbearing, and with that comes advanced maternal age. Older mothers have their own host of issues to deal with.

There are many factors to consider. It's not because people are "obsessed."
In our case, my wife is physically unable to care for children anymore so we have a dog to substitute as a child. She worked as a nanny even caring for a US Representitive's children. By the time she met someone to marry (myself) her spine was too far gone to carry a baby safely to term nor could she pick up or chase after kids. The pain medicine she's on incapacitates her. A 6 lb chihuahua doesn't need much care during her bad spells. She's content to lay between my wife's legs.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
In our case, my wife is physically unable to care for children anymore so we have a dog to substitute as a child. She worked as a nanny even caring for a US Representitive's children. By the time she met someone to marry (myself) her spine was too far gone to carry a baby safely to term nor could she pick up or chase after kids. The pain medicine she's on incapacitates her. A 6 lb chihuahua doesn't need much care during her bad spells. She's content to lay between my wife's legs.
Health issues with age are becoming a common reason why people decide to not have children. Or, they are the common cause as to why they can't in the first place. The OP makes this issue seem to cut and dry. People can't have children like going to the faucet and turning on the water. With the aging population, delay in childbirth, and poor economy, this issue will continue to have a statistically significant effect on society.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
How is having kids selfish when you're giving over much of your life to the kid? If anyone is selfish, it's the one who doesn't want kids since it would interfere with their lifestyle. While it's true that some adults aren't good parent material, I feel some choose not to have kids either because they hate children or they're so self centered that they don't want all the distractions and time being a responsible parent requires.

And so I ask you,...Why does adults wanting to have children bother your little world? Do you hate kids? Are you some ultra-environmentalist who feels we need to reduce the world's population? Why does it bother YOU?!
I just don't get the fascination..that's all. And how is not having any kids selfish? Who does it hurt? There is nothing wrong with wanting to live your life for you and not dealing with screaming brats all day.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
I hear about it in day to day life. I always hear people around me talk about how great it is to have kids and when I'm going to have some. And if you read the comments section of the article I posted, you can see how many people were outraged at the fact that some women wanted dogs instead of children.
Having kids is great! It's the best job I've ever had. That said, no one should be asking you when you're going to have kids. NO ONE should have kids unless they want them. It's not fair to the kids otherwise.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:15 PM

For those saying that the population is declining, check this out: World Population Clock: 7 Billion People (2014) - Worldometers

The world is becoming overpopulated and we soon will not have enough resources for everyone.. I actually think not having children is the unselfish thing to do.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Having kids is great! It's the best job I've ever had. That said, no one should be asking you when you're going to have kids. NO ONE should have kids unless they want them. It's not fair to the kids otherwise.
Agreed; I receive the same questions because I am married and don't have any. That being said, the OP believes people are obsessed with having children or have a fascination. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a family-oriented society where people get married and have children.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:43 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,366 times
Quote:
For those saying that the population is declining, check this out: World Population Clock: 7 Billion People (2014) - Worldometers

The world is becoming overpopulated and we soon will not have enough resources for everyone.. I actually think not having children is the unselfish thing to do.
Your source is wrong in that they look at historic growth in population and project forward, but do not project ahead based upon current birth rates.

It is counter intuitive, but based upon current demographics and current birth rates we can expect the world's population to rise maybe through the end of the 21st century but will begin a long decline in population as far as the eye can see.

You can check my own posts in this thread, numbers 5 and 6, where I provide several links making exactly this case.

I remember being influenced in my thinking about population based up the writings of the 70's - Paul Erdman specifically, but I also recall one of my college professors calling for the putting of birth control drugs into water supplies everywhere to stop the overpopulation of the world.

But things change. The prosperity of the past 40 years has led to a great change in reproductive practices, such that our great grandchildren may well see massive declines in the world's population, for better or worse.

I am not saying that people should have lots of children. I AM saying that nothing is as it seems. Especially in regards to complex issues and results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates