Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 12:42 PM

771 posts, read 1,459,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I don't see how it's selfish if you aren't hurting anyone.
Because if everyone thought like this, humankind would eventually go extinct. Somebody has to do it (have children), if nobody did, we would disappear as a species within a century.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:46 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,910 times
[SIZE=5]kgordeeva[/SIZE]: I take it you are European?

One word: Pensions.

As "crude", "simplistic", and "unsophisticated" we Americans may be (according to many Europeans--I am not saying you think this, but too many other Europeans seem to think this), we have grasped something the Europeans (and apparently, Japanese and Koreans too) seem to have forgotten: that a growing proportion of old cannot be supported by a shrinking proportion of young.

Either the retirement ages will have to be jacked up, the pensioners' benefits will have to be cut, or the currently working adults will have to breed more. Probably all three.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:51 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
Because if everyone thought like this, humankind would eventually go extinct. Somebody has to do it (have children), if nobody did, we would disappear as a species within a century.
Well as you can see by the world population, that's not anything to worry about. Plenty of people having kids. I wouldn't fret.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:01 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
I don't think a desire to have children means you're obsessed with it. While sure, some people get baby fever I think that most people know whether or not they want to make children a part of their lives at some point, so it's on their list of long term goals.

I don't think that large families are as common in the West as they are in other parts of the world. In fact, we kind of gasp at the thought of a woman having 6-7 kids. But in other countries that may be the norm

I think as long as a couple agrees to and makes the decision (to have or not have children) together, then it's not selfish. There's more to life than marriage and children. But for me I can't imagine not getting married and not having children.
Interesting concept that here in the west we don't have that many kids. My wife and I have 6 and we think that was kind of on the light side. I am the second of 8 myself and had a goal when I was younger to have 12 kids. That did not work out that way but we did make it to the halfway point. Many of our friends have between 5 and 12 kids. We have friends in other states that have a similar number of kids. I would say that we have more kids born in the USA than in Eastern nations. Look at China and many Asian nations. Having large families does not seem to be the norm. Western nations such as the USA, Mexico, and many South American nations have large families.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Well as you can see by the world population, that's not anything to worry about. Plenty of people having kids. I wouldn't fret.
Unfortunately, they are all too often the *wrong kind of people* breeding. Wrong culture and religion, anyway.

How well will science, learning, "gay rights" (since so many on these forums seem to support that) fare in an increasingly Jihadist world?

The answer is quite badly.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:04 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,151 times
America's birthrate is falling from the "baby boom" generation. We're nowhere near as low as China or Japan yet, but we're falling. Part of it is our culture yet -- the "abortion is evil and murder" mentality. But as birth control methods become more widespread and cheaper than popcorn, births will continue to fall.

An example: I got a vasectomy, completely covered by health insurance IN THE UNITED STATES. That's pretty Moderator cut: language good!

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-04-2014 at 03:03 PM..

Old 08-04-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Unfortunately, they are all too often the *wrong kind of people* breeding. Wrong culture and religion, anyway.

How well will science, learning, "gay rights" (since so many on these forums seem to support that) fare in an increasingly Jihadist world?

The answer is quite badly.
Jihadist world? Um, ok. Eugenics anyone?

Old 08-04-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Jihadist world? Um, ok. Eugenics anyone?
Sigh. It is not about race, but it is about culture. Hamas? Mullahs? Al Qaeda? Are you paying attention to what is going on?

And while free women in modern Europe and northeast Asia breed less and less, the captive slave women of Islam breed more and more. You really don't get it?

Speaking of which, the European OP might note who has been migrating to Western Europe, and all the *trouble* they have been causing.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Sigh. It is not about race, but it is about culture. Hamas? Mullahs? Al Qaeda? Are you paying attention to what is going on?

And while free women in modern Europe and northeast Asia breed less and less, the captive slave women of Islam breed more and more. You really don't get it?

Speaking of which, the European OP might note who has been migrating to Western Europe, and all the *trouble* they have been causing.
I know the difference between fundamentalists & nonfundamentalists. I'm getting the feeling not everyone does & lumps an entire population of people into one assumption.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:53 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I have trouble understanding people who question a biological imperative programmed into our genes.

People likely criticized because the reasons for not reproducing sounded stupid.
So, this "biological imperative" more often than not ignores making babies you can't fully financially support, includes expecting subsidies from tax payers to contribute to their upbringing, and not being able to adequately save for their college education. Makes sense...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates