Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 08:35 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,585,309 times

Advertisements

We might end up fighting like...well, you know, over this question, but I thought it belonged here, so why not? Which one is your personal favorite? Where do you stand with the other? Why?

If this doesn't belong here maybe I misunderstood. I didn't want to put it in "pets," because I thought it was a pretty common debate even among people who don't own animals. I've read that if you are a cat person or a dog person , it says a lot about your psychological make up. It may even be a deciding factor in how you treat people, interact with peers, and view the world.

Last edited by krmb; 04-17-2015 at 08:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 09:01 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,810,970 times
Well, I'm almost afraid to answer after reading the last part of your post ha ha, but generally I am a dog person. I love all animals and have had both all my life and currently, but if I had to choose either or, I would pick dogs. Dogs are just kinda happy-go-lucky, they WANT to be with you, trainable, family oriented, whereas cats can be more aloof, have mood swings and things are more on their terms. Dogs are more along for the ride.

The hard thing about dogs though is they can't be unattended for more than a few hours (work day at most) so if you want to even take a weekend trip, you have to arrange care. A cat you can leave an autofeeder, water and a clean box for a couple days and they'll take care of themselves. Dogs are more high maintenance, cats lower maintenance. Generally dogs integrate into the family; cats you are their servant.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:47 PM

Yes, dogs are more like the kids; that's my experience with them. They can't be left alone for long. They can be "ruined for life" by certain treatment (such as not attempting to socialize them with other dogs and people.) They benefit from gimmicky "pet parenting solutions," like "doggy daycare." Those wannabe wolves do have a lot in common with immature human offspring, maybe too much. They are awful pets if you actually want a social life. Your activities have to revolve around the dog, training, walking, washing, etc. It can be exhausting. Plus, if you don't know how to modify another animal's behavior, they will take advantage of it and make themselves tyrants. Puppies, though, are too cute to resist. I've welcomed so many baby dogs into my home just because of those cute wagging tails, sad puppy dog eyes, and ridiculous displays of intelligence. Then, there are all of the crazy shapes, colors, and sizes to choose from; dogs range from small enough to fit in your purse to big enough to pull a carriage!

With all of that said, I think I would still go with the cat. Cats are independent to ridiculous extents. It's possible to have a cat hang out with you even if you never feed it! They can catch their own food and are even gracious enough to try to introduce you to some of the local cuisine at times. These animals also have superb hearing (better than a dog's). (They can even detect storms and earthquakes with those radar ears!) Also, bugs and mice are a playful cat's midnight snack, live-in pest control service. Plus cats can also be trained to do some of the fun "dog" stuff, like walking on leashes, sitting, begging, rolling over, playing dead, etc. (Some people have even trained their indoor cats to use the toilet, eliminating the need for a litter box.) Now, cats don't have jobs. There are no working breeds (unless you count mousers), and it's nearly impossible to get them to perform any silly tricks with a lot of consistency. Sometimes the cat will amuse you and play with you, and sometimes it will appear amused by you. That's all part of its independence and genuineness. How can you tell if an animal that slavishly obeys you is genuinely happy? Cats have moods; that's what makes their affection seem authentic. They mope when they are sad, purr when they are content, wag their tails when they are angry, bark when they are hungry, and play when they feel like it.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:56 PM

7,785 posts, read 6,402,464 times
The sticker says "I love cats, they taste just like chicken".

We have had both, now have neither.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:05 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP3gzee1cps

Cat barking, too cute!

Old 04-18-2015, 01:22 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,445,449 times
I love being a slave to a cute animal. So I go with cats.

It's the inversion of my attitude towards humans, who should all be my slaves.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:30 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,574,961 times
I'm an animal lover. I've owned both dogs and cats and grew up in a household that always had an average of one dog and two cats.

That said, I now prefer cats. I recently retired and the wife and I are planning to do some traveling. While I've always enjoyed the companionship of a dog, I now have two cats mostly because they're very low maintenance in comparison. If I leave for two-three days, I can simply leave some extra food and water for the cats and they'll be fine. That wouldn't fly for any dog I've known. They'd eat everything in first few hours and then starve the rest of the time. If it's a longer trip, kennel fees are only $6/day for cats, much more for dogs.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:52 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,957,054 times
I've had dogs, cats, rabbits and birds. Right now I've got 4 dogs and no cats (only because landlord won't allow them)

I love cats because I think they are beautiful. I enjoy petting them (love that soft fur) and relaxing with a purring cat on my lap. I like that they don't demand constant attention the way dogs do, but are content to do their own thing. Cats also have a unique scent to their fur that I love. Hate the way they kick litter out of their litter box, but I don't mind keeping it clean.

I love dogs because they are ideal companions. Always happy to accompany me no matter what I'm doing. I agree with the poster who said they are similar to kids - they require lots of attention. I don't get the same tactile pleasure out of petting them as I would a cat since they have hair rather than fur, but I do it because they get such pleasure from my doggie massages, and I enjoy making them feel good. I could do without the barking at everything that moves, though.

All that being said, I really can't say which animal I prefer. I guess some of each is always going to be my choice.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:55 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,291,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
We might end up fighting like...well, you know, over this question, but I thought it belonged here, so why not? Which one is your personal favorite? Where do you stand with the other? Why?

If this doesn't belong here maybe I misunderstood. I didn't want to put it in "pets," because I thought it was a pretty common debate even among people who don't own animals. I've read that if you are a cat person or a dog person , it says a lot about your psychological make up. It may even be a deciding factor in how you treat people, interact with peers, and view the world.

According to many "professional studies" the way one blows their nose says a lot about their psychological make up.

We have both dog and cat because we like both and we choose to have both and the deciding factor in how I treat people, interact with anyone and view the world depends on my particular mood that day and how much coffee I have had. NOT the fact that we share our home with a dog and cats.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:02 AM

24,521 posts, read 17,271,978 times
I was grew up with cats and dogs in the house and like both equally. We have 2 dogs now and one is my constant companion. He is such a good dog. I would like to have a cat too but my wife is allergic. If I need a cat fix I head to my Moms, she has 4.

Being an animal lover does say alot about a persons psychological makeup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates