Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 10:21 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times

Advertisements

I have both i prefer my dog Misty/Mist better the Tia the cat where she is I am 14 and likes to meow all night and sleep all day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 04:58 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
...I've read that if you are a cat person or a dog person , it says a lot about your psychological make up. It may even be a deciding factor in how you treat people, interact with peers, and view the world.
No cats... no dogs... no pets... Analyze that.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:10 PM

30,487 posts, read 16,198,344 times
cats purr.
dogs growl.

actually I like both. No preference.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:02 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
i don't know if I'm cat or dog but i did have a baby brother that had a cold nose and a tail

Old 04-21-2015, 08:53 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
I have one of each.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:42 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
OP! Time to enter the 21st century! Ferrets are the 3rd most popular pet in the U.S. today! Cats, Dogs or Ferrets?

Ferret owner for 22 years now! A combination of cat and dog! And they just love their long leash walks!

But if it came down to Cats or Dogs, cats!

Old 04-22-2015, 05:34 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
One word answer..."WOOF!".
They both do that. Refer to the video I posted at the beginning of this thread.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
OP! Time to enter the 21st century! Ferrets are the 3rd most popular pet in the U.S. today! Cats, Dogs or Ferrets?

Ferret owner for 22 years now! A combination of cat and dog! And they just love their long leash walks!

But if it came down to Cats or Dogs, cats!
The cat vs. dog debate has more history, though. Had I included another animal, I would have probably had to put this in "pets." Plus, ferrets are not allowed to be kept in some states; there are no such restrictions on cats and dogs.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:59 AM

Cats are truly bizarre creatures. They must be smart, because they mimic other animals, including us, and pick up a lot of things just by observation and mimicry. It seems like they are too smart to score well on those scientific intelligence tests, though. Odd. They're loving if you consider their needs, too. If not, they remain aloof. Unfortunately, they're autistic (according to some) so they have strange needs, like being left alone some of the time and not being exposed to certain textures and loud noises. They also have an unfair reputation of being antisocial, so some cat owners don't attempt to interact with them and learn their language.

Pet owners can improve their relationship with their feline friends by doing a few things:

Make sure you raise the cat from a kitten

Get the cat neutered if it's a male (yes, females need to be fixed, too, but they are generally more docile, even when not fixed.) Male cats can become aggressive when they hear females in heat.

Do not declaw. If your cat is scratching at you, it's a sign that something is wrong. If the cat is scratching the furniture, get something that makes an annoying noise or has an unsavory texture, like tinfoil, and put it on or near the object being harmed. Declawing can cause pain and a lack of enjoyment in play and activities that involve the claws, like using the litter box.

If you have multiple cats, make sure you have plenty of places for them to climb and get away from each other. If you don't, they may refuse to use the litter box to mark their territory from other cats.

Actually spend some time with your cat. Yes, it takes patience to train a cat, but persistence pays off. You can teach a cat to walk on a leash. (They will go everywhere and even try to climb the tress; let them. It's not the same as a dog. You won't teach them a thing, except to be afraid of you, if you yank the leash.) Then, you can ditch the litter box. (They seem to prefer going outside anyway. I even had a cat that scratched at the door to get out. ) That will cut down on dust and bad smells in the house. You can also train them to use the human toilet, and there are quite a few "stupid pet tricks" a well socialized cat would consider performing for the right kinds of kibble. It's not a dog, true, but it's still a pretty clever animal, as far as pets go.

Plus, it's not needy. It interacts with you on it's terms. Its a bit like a dog you can put back in the box when you are done playing with it.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:05 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I have always been a dog person, never gave cats a second thought. Moved in with my GF about a year ago, she (now we) has a Maine Coon and a Norwegian Forest cat and I actually enjoy them, very comical to watch and play with.

Rommel the Dachshund was not impressed but the 3 have grown to tolerate each other.
How PURRfect......it's nice they will cohabitate...they are all so cute. I love seeing households with different pets. And see, that is how it work sometimes, becoming introduced due to a relationship. My niece's cat seems to prefer her other half, who had not known cats before, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates