Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 08:43 PM

701 posts, read 1,690,634 times

Advertisements

I used to think I didn't like cats, but I've decided I don't like "cat people." There are people who like cats, and then there are "cat people." My aunt is married to one. They love to be "slaves" to their cats, they usually have multiple cats, they often take on the aloof, holier-than-thou attitude of the cat, and they're proud of it. They're generally off-putting individuals.

I love having a dog. Just one. And I do use her as an excuse not to be social. I like the stability and routine of the dog, and they're so much fun to train (I'm not being sarcastic here, I really love getting to terms with a dog's personality and training it). On the downside, they are (especially the breed I'm fond of, schipperkes), perpetual toddlers. But if you train them, they're like human toddlers: manageable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 09:21 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
On the downside, they are (especially the breed I'm fond of, schipperkes), perpetual toddlers. But if you train them, they're like human toddlers: manageable.
I don't know that breed. Are they as dangerous as, say, golden or Labrador retrievers?

Old 04-22-2015, 10:41 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
There are some cats that genuinely socialize to people. Not many. Most are there when they need you.

Dogs on the other hand have been bred to want to make people happy. They imprint on people and imitate human behavior. I have even heard of members the normally vicious breed, golden retrievers, seeking to hug people. There was an article in today's New York Times about the secretion of certain loving hormones in both dogs and men when they stare at each other. Thus the term "puppy dog eyes."

For a companion, my view, choose a dog.
Well, I'm not a guy, so I guess "puppy dog eyes" won't work on me. Puppies are cute, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
When was the last time you were welcomed home from work by a cat's wagging tail and happy barks?
Never! If you know anything about a cat, you know that a wagging tail is a sign of anger and frustration in a cat. Barking in cats is a display of predatory mimicry and is not normally displayed when humans are around, so a barking tail wagging cat would probably be ready to attack me, not welcome me. Cats do not speak dog (well, they can imitate them, but it doesn't mean the same thing).

Now, the cat equivalent would be a kitty bounding up, trilling meows, jumping onto its owner's lap, and purring softly while kneading its owner's skin. That's happened to me a lot. There's also the face marking cats do so much of. Then, there's licking; that works as a sign of affection, too, and cats have the "sandpaper tongue," so their licks don't feel slimy.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:32 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,095 times
Cats. Period.

I'm a lifelong cat owner and cat lover. Have been this way since I was just a little girl.

I may someday realize my dream of opening up a cat rescue/sanctuary, because in my heart of hearts, I believe cats need more advocates.

Dogs? Meh. I can take them or leave them. I'm a bit afraid of them, actually. Some dogs are pretty cool, and I do have a soft spot for wiener dogs and miniature wiener dogs. Some breeds, however, I CAN'T STAND, as they get on my very last nerve.

Poodles of all varieties come to mind, and wouldn't you know it that I married into a family that is obsessed with Poodles

Nevertheless, whether I like the dog or not, I would never, ever harm one.

I'm afraid that cannot be said for some of these self-professed dog-lovers who, while loving on their pooches, think it's perfectly okay to go around killing and torturing cats. That scumbag Veterinarian on another thread who recently tortured her neighbor's cat is a dog owner, and apparently quite devoted to dogs in general.

THESE are the sort of dog people I HATE.

Last edited by rhiannon67; 04-22-2015 at 11:47 PM..

Old 04-22-2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
I used to think I didn't like cats, but I've decided I don't like "cat people." There are people who like cats, and then there are "cat people." My aunt is married to one. They love to be "slaves" to their cats, they usually have multiple cats, they often take on the aloof, holier-than-thou attitude of the cat, and they're proud of it. They're generally off-putting individuals.

I love having a dog. Just one. And I do use her as an excuse not to be social. I like the stability and routine of the dog, and they're so much fun to train (I'm not being sarcastic here, I really love getting to terms with a dog's personality and training it). On the downside, they are (especially the breed I'm fond of, schipperkes), perpetual toddlers. But if you train them, they're like human toddlers: manageable.
No disrespect meant, but this cat person pretty much feels the same about rabid dog people

The fact is, there are different attributes notable in people who like cats versus people who like dogs. It should be no great surprise that neither camp is going to be too fond of the other

Old 04-23-2015, 12:20 AM

A great side by side comparison:

Old 04-23-2015, 12:58 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Has a cat ever saved the day when Timmy fell down the well?

Old 04-23-2015, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Has a cat ever saved the day when Timmy fell down the well?
Cats have saved their owners from burning up in fires....how? By getting their attention!!!

A cat just this last winter saved an abandoned newborn baby from freezing to death....in Russia!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmHW...4&spfreload=10

Even a timid, reclusive cat will come to the aid of a person she trusts....this cat saved her owner from two pitbulls, and without the cat's interference this woman could have been mauled to death!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60d0...U&spfreload=10

Then you have this cat:

Cat Saves Little Boy From Being Attacked by Neighbor's Dog Video - ABC News

There are more stories were these came from.

But I sure don't know many stories of cats KILLING people....not like their canine counterparts can, and do.

Cats may not have as many saves under their belts, but you have to remember they're considerably smaller than dogs to begin with!

Last edited by rhiannon67; 04-23-2015 at 01:28 AM..

Old 04-23-2015, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Cats. Period.

I'm a lifelong cat owner and cat lover. Have been this way since I was just a little girl.

I may someday realize my dream of opening up a cat rescue/sanctuary, because in my heart of hearts, I believe cats need more advocates.

Dogs? Meh. I can take them or leave them. I'm a bit afraid of them, actually. Some dogs are pretty cool, and I do have a soft spot for wiener dogs and miniature wiener dogs. Some breeds, however, I CAN'T STAND, as they get on my very last nerve.

Poodles of all varieties come to mind, and wouldn't you know it that I married into a family that is obsessed with Poodles

Nevertheless, whether I like the dog or not, I would never, ever harm one.

I'm afraid that cannot be said for some of these self-professed dog-lovers who, while loving on their pooches, think it's perfectly okay to go around killing and torturing cats. That scumbag Veterinarian on another thread who recently tortured her neighbor's cat is a dog owner, and apparently quite devoted to dogs in general.

THESE are the sort of dog people I HATE.
Rep!

Exactly! I'm so happy I'm not alone in this. That's my experience, too. I've encountered dog lovers who do not appear to be animal lovers in general but instead think dogs have a special right to the planet, and they won't allow to other cute furry animals the right to existence. There are people in the world who consider themselves law abiding citizens who have no problem letting their dogs chase and kill cats. They see the poor cat as tantamount to the rodents it chases, apparently. Plus, there are so many movies that portray cats in a negative light. People should educate themselves. I guess that's why I feel so adamant about telling people why cats make such wonderful pets. I don't want to hear about another redneck who decided Butch needed a new animal chew toy or another little girl who grows us "hating cats" because her mom, aunt, whoever, declawed the cat and was surprised when it got mean!

Plus, people are clueless. I once asked one of classmates who worked at a vet about the procedure for declawing a dog, and she replied with, "We don't do that; I think that would be cruel," but she went on to say that declawing is a pretty routine procedure for cats. Okay, why did she recognize ripping a dog's fingernails out at the roots as cruel and unusual, yet she was perfectly okay with letting the poor kitten suffer? Some dog lovers are flatly clueless. Unfortunately, I'm beginning to think maybe a majority of Americans feel this way about cats. It's time things changed. I too feel like cats need advocates.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
No disrespect meant, but this cat person pretty much feels the same about rabid dog people

The fact is, there are different attributes notable in people who like cats versus people who like dogs. It should be no great surprise that neither camp is going to be too fond of the other
Great posts.

I would be one of those "middle-of-the-road libertarian females" who are supposedly content owning both pets, but I have just found myself unable to get into dog ownership. Plus, I know it's not Rover's fault, but humans who love their dogs but actively treat other animals like intruders get under my skin. I know I shouldn't, but I almost feel like handling Rover with the same amount of disrespect that I've seen dog lovers / cat haters display toward the feline kind. Unfortunately, dogs have plenty of advocates who are all too happy to able to spot animal abuse through those canine tainted spectacles. Try to get the dog declawed so that he won't scratch the floor or doors; that's cruel and unusual and the vets refuse to do it (want to get your poor kitty declawed, though, come right in. ) They remain blind to it when its practiced on other animals, though. That's what gets under my skin.

It's like saying that introverts are evil just because they don't display affection toward you the way you are used to receiving affection. Just because I don't talk much doesn't make me a bad person. Sometimes I do go over the top when trying to prove a point and have to focus my energy on more humanitarian endeavors and leave petty squabbles for internet forums, but it just doesn't seem fair. I know life isn't fair, but aren't people smart enough to communicate with other people and find out what's really going on instead of assuming all of the time? I've encountered so much emotional ignorance with people. It makes me feel like just shaking my head. Since I have this experience myself, I tend to sympathize with animals who seem to receive the same treatment.

I am thankful for the Internet, though. It feels like before YouTube, cats were overlooked all of the time in this nation. Now it seems like they have an humble foothold. People can't say things like, "cats don't help people," or "cats can't be trained" without being corrected. I'm at least grateful for that. Cats have a place as the go-to apartment pet, like small dogs. That's better than the times they were only cast as idle troublemakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates