Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 07:36 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times

Advertisements

Even a TRAINED dog is going to be an unhappy dog if he's alone most of the time! They need the company of the family and other dogs (again, pack animals).

As for the litterbox, I have zero problem with that and can't understand anyone who does (most cats will happily use one that's kept clean).

The problem, as always, is not the pets, but the owners!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 08:13 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The problem, as always, is not the pets, but the owners!!!
I agree. That's why I think special tests should be required as a requirement for ownership of dogs and cats.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:35 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Now, I'm not quite one of those rare cat lover / dog hater people. I like all kinds of animals, but only a few fit my personality and lifestyle. I do have a favorite type of dog, mostly the hounds and hunting breeds because they are the most intelligent (and the cutest with those long floppy ears and big puppy dog eyes.). These, though, require a lot of work to care for. I honestly believe that I would need to dedicate a fair amount of my day training and caring for my beloved hounds so that they wouldn't get into mischief. I would have to work very hard to socialize puppies and get them to where they did not try to attack and kill other animals. I would also have to give them hours upon hours of physical and mental stimulation so that they would retire at the end of the day instead of paw at the crate or door or try to dig a hole under the fence. Right now, I just can't do it. I love these dog breeds, but it's too difficult for a single person to care for them.

I'm a hobbyist, though, so I will probably eventually get yet another dog when I can afford it, pay for the training and socializing I think it needs, and see if I get something decent this time around. I also want to get a wild jungle cat, though, and see who I can train the fastest.

List of favorite dog breeds:

Dalmatian (I know it's not a hound, but it looks like a very regal dog.)
Beagle
Rhodesian Ridgeback
Spaniel (It's not a hound, but it still has the cute floppy ears and puppy dog eyes!)
Grey Hound
Italian Grey Hound
Dachshund
Not a dog fan as a rule, but I love Wiener dogs....both regular and mini. They're super cute, generally kind, and they don't STINK the way most dogs do. At least, to me anyway.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:47 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,672,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Several other posters have pointed it out and I agree that a weird thing about some dog people is a hatred of cats. It's like they don't have the patience or desire to understand them. I really haven't run into many cat people that share the same disdain for dogs. It's kind of weird-it's like dogs get a pass on their destructive activities, and there's a little bit of a double standard.

Some of my dog friends have expressed utter disgust at the concept of cleaning a litterbox, but have no problem getting up at six in the morning in a snowstorm to walk their dogs and pick up steaming turds. I have a friend who couldn't believe I kept my old cat after she clawed a corner of my chair, but acted like it was somehow cute when his dog ate his iphone and ripped up a number of valuable things around his house. And I've also noticed that people who complain about some cats meowing apparently haven't ever heard dogs incessantly barking.
You make good points. It bothers me too, to hear people hating on felines. Yes, I cannot compare easily scooping (I use a long-handled metal, slotted spoon) daily, into a small wastebasket that goes to the larger trash, out to the bin - to what you described as done with dogs. Growing up with a small dog in the house, where there was sometimes snow, we would let her out to the fenced backyard and she would run right back in. I love dog's personalities too, but kitties are definately easier.

Also, sadly, since dog owners many times may not stay home, you will hear barking (as I will hear in a nearby condo) and feel sorry for these dogs, who didn't sign up for that. I think the likelihood of hearing cats meowing, is due to ones who are allowed to roam OR strays. Some cats are more vocal too, such as Siamese. When I see / hear a complaint regarding cats, it seems it will be based upon some experience with another's cat and behavior that may have been allowed by that owner, which should not be a reflection of cats in general, but also, how they were raised, maintained. Animals have personalities, leanings as people do and arguing about "which his better" or making generalizations of, is kind of like doing so of varied men and women.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 04-25-2015 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: Additions.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:20 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I like dogs but prefer cats. I don't understand when people say cats don't become attached to their humans. All of mine have been very devoted pets. I have had cats sit in the window waiting for me to come home from work. They greet me at the door.

Of course, they have to decide to like you and not all cats will. Some breeds are more inclined to bond with humans than others. But once a cat has decided to like you, you feel honored. You have won something. It's more like a human friendship because cats aren't naturally social creatures. They can be challenging in that respect.

Maybe cat people like a challenge more than dog people because it's easy to win a dog's affection. With cats, you have to work at it. When a dog likes you, it's kind of superficial. When a cat likes you, it's for real.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Has a cat person ever chuckled? Or even grinned?
Are you kidding? I am a very outgoing person myself and again, do not consider being "one or the other", being a pet-person or animal lover in general, certainly as many others consider themselves to be.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:34 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Has a cat person ever chuckled? Or even grinned?
I am a cat (and dog) person, and I regularly smile, chuckle warmly, go "hee hee" and "haw haw" and sometimes even chortle and giggle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

Cats are low-maintenance, but they do tend to poop, pee, barf, and throw up hairballs indoors. Maybe ferrets are best?
A LOT of this can be eliminated by feeding ONLY a wet/raw diet.

Cats should not be eating kibble. They should be fed raw/wet ONLY.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I agree. That's why I think special tests should be required as a requirement for ownership of dogs and cats.
And children.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
And children.
True.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I am a cat (and dog) person, and I regularly smile, chuckle warmly, go "hee hee" and "haw haw" and sometimes even chortle and giggle!

A LOT of this can be eliminated by feeding ONLY a wet/raw diet.

Cats should not be eating kibble. They should be fed raw/wet ONLY.
I've never heard of that. I don't have a pet right now, but I used to just feed my cats kibble. I never heard a complaint. I did sometimes supplement with wet food, but wet food can get expensive when compared to the dry stuff. I usually saved the wet stuff for sick cats and kittens or when I wanted to treat the cats. Still, I seldom had issues with hairballs and throwing up. I will admit there were even times I supplemented with dog food (which is like feeding a cat junk food). They still turned out okay.

Last edited by krmb; 04-26-2015 at 04:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates