Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 11:15 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times

Advertisements

Dogs have owners, cats have staff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 02:16 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Cats have saved their owners from burning up in fires....how? By getting their attention!!!

A cat just this last winter saved an abandoned newborn baby from freezing to death....in Russia!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmHW...4&spfreload=10

Even a timid, reclusive cat will come to the aid of a person she trusts....this cat saved her owner from two pitbulls, and without the cat's interference this woman could have been mauled to death!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60d0...U&spfreload=10

Then you have this cat:

Cat Saves Little Boy From Being Attacked by Neighbor's Dog Video - ABC News

There are more stories were these came from.

But I sure don't know many stories of cats KILLING people....not like their canine counterparts can, and do.

Cats may not have as many saves under their belts, but you have to remember they're considerably smaller than dogs to begin with!
Has a cat person ever chuckled? Or even grinned?

Old 04-24-2015, 04:22 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,578,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
When I was younger, I was more of a cat person. I liked dogs, but I really wanted a cat, and I would play with the neighbors foster cats almost every day. As an adult, I got a cat, and frankly, I don't want one again. They're super cute and snuggly (mine was a cat that acted in similar ways to a dog), but it was indoor only, and it did eventually have accidents, and I could never clean the ammonia smell from the carpets. I also eventually grew to hate cleaning the litter box - doesn't seem like such a big deal, but it eventually started to feel like it.

I'm now all about dogs. They require clean-up too, I know. But I've had dogs and for whatever reason, it seemed like less of a pain than having cats (which is totally the opposite of what it seems like it should be, since cats are so independent). I still like cats, I just don't want to own one again.
When I was a child, I wanted a puppy, because I believed everything I ever heard about dogs being trainable and really fun to work with. I've never considered myself a dog person, but I wanted one anyway just to see what would happen. Well, I eventually got my dogs and hated every minute of it.

If you don't have the time to train a dog, you are in for a nightmare. Its instinct will take over and destroy your house. It will bark all night and disturb the neighbors, chase and kill your other pets, pee on everything, poop when and where it feels like it, jump up on you and knock you down, etc. If that's not enough, there are these self-proclaimed (dog loving) "animal rights" people who will try to get a new dog owner for animal abuse, even if the dog isn't really being hurt by his current arrangements.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Has a cat person ever chuckled? Or even grinned?

Yes, introverts aren't robots. I don't really understand your comment. Those rescues really happened.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
I'm welcomed home every day by happy meows....which beat happy barks any day. Not a fan of dog barks at all, while I love the sound of meows and best of all?? Purring!!!! LOVE the way all our cats purr like mad
That's another one of my pet peeves with dogs, barking. I did manage to teach the most intelligent dog I've ever owned to "speak," so that he barked mostly on command. I had this dumb dog for years before he finally learned that command, though. I also taught it to my shelter cat via clicker training a few days later.

Sometimes, I think the people who say cats aren't trainable just aren't trying hard enough. They don't respond to punishment or peer pressure, so if you think you are going to berate it into doing anything for you, you are out of luck. It will NEVER recognize you as a leader or submit to your authority. They're still super curious, though, and love to get into things. You can use that to your advantage. They'll also do anything for catnip and kibble.

Last edited by krmb; 04-25-2015 at 05:55 AM..

Old 04-25-2015, 06:14 AM

Now, I'm not quite one of those rare cat lover / dog hater people. I like all kinds of animals, but only a few fit my personality and lifestyle. I do have a favorite type of dog, mostly the hounds and hunting breeds because they are the most intelligent (and the cutest with those long floppy ears and big puppy dog eyes.). These, though, require a lot of work to care for. I honestly believe that I would need to dedicate a fair amount of my day training and caring for my beloved hounds so that they wouldn't get into mischief. I would have to work very hard to socialize puppies and get them to where they did not try to attack and kill other animals. I would also have to give them hours upon hours of physical and mental stimulation so that they would retire at the end of the day instead of paw at the crate or door or try to dig a hole under the fence. Right now, I just can't do it. I love these dog breeds, but it's too difficult for a single person to care for them.

I'm a hobbyist, though, so I will probably eventually get yet another dog when I can afford it, pay for the training and socializing I think it needs, and see if I get something decent this time around. I also want to get a wild jungle cat, though, and see who I can train the fastest.

List of favorite dog breeds:

Dalmatian (I know it's not a hound, but it looks like a very regal dog.)
Beagle
Rhodesian Ridgeback
Spaniel (It's not a hound, but it still has the cute floppy ears and puppy dog eyes!)
Grey Hound
Italian Grey Hound
Dachshund

Last edited by krmb; 04-25-2015 at 07:09 AM..

Old 04-25-2015, 06:25 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
I liked dogs better when I was in school and could walk them and let them out to bathroom throughout the day. When you're away for 9 hours most days cats are so much easier to deal with. Cat personalities vary quite a bit, some are very interactive or clingy, others only come around when they want food. This bothers some people, I've always been fine with it myself

At this point in my life I wouldn't get another dog unless I felt like my house needed security due to increasing crime. Barking stops a lot of break ins in their tracks.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:07 AM

All of this talk about animals is making me miss being allowed to own cats and dogs. I've lived in apartments and other arrangements that were not suitable for having pets for too long. I really want to go somewhere that it okay with me having dogs and cats without charging me a lot of extra money. I really don't even understand the point of the pet deposit. Do people think animal lovers are that careless with their pets, or do they know we will pay it just to bring our beloved little friends with us?

Anyway, back on topic, I guess I should mention my favorite cat breeds, since I mentioned my favorite dog breeds:

Modern Siamese
Oriental Shorthair
Savanna
Bengal
Sphynx
Devon Rex
Rag Doll
Angora
Moggie (cat mutt)

Old 04-25-2015, 07:09 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
This ought to shake things up, but... I begin to wonder if there even IS a place for dogs in our modern society... Look at the facts: except for small, manageable dogs who are content to sit on a lap or sleep all day AND the few working dogs who still have an actual function and job to do, most now are confined to rooms, kennels, crates, or -- at best -- small yards where they spend their days -- and often nights -- alone. Most households are two-income, and at night and on weekends people are eating out or running around to their kids' sporting events or the whole family is staring at some electronic screen -- NOT playing with the dog!

Even as recently as when I was a child, dogs ran free all day (and sometimes all night), socializing with the other neighborhood dogs as is natural for them; they're pack animals and suffer alone. If their kids were busy, there were plenty of other kids always running around outdoors for them to play with. Dogs weren't fat, they weren't getting joint disorders from inactivity, no one had to walk them, they didn't require expensive "science diets," and they certainly weren't so neurotic and anxious as to require Prozac and Thunder Shirts! Forcing a dog to spend its life in isolation or tied to a tether -- without a bark park, they're always on a leash (often tugged along too fast), IF they get a walk, and can never run free. Doesn't sound like much of a life to me!

Then look at the number of owner turn-ins and dogs dumped in shelters -- or just on the side of the road or out in the country. That's if some psychopath doesn't burn them with acid for the Facebook pictures or drag them to death behind cars. Humanity almost can't be trusted with these defenseless animals. I think we're facing a real crisis with dogs as society functions today; there's simply no place for them now. Personally, I'm waiting till retirement to adopt even just one small, sedentary dog, and I should just barely be able to keep up with his actual needs and wants even then. If I do it right, that is.

Cats are low-maintenance, but they do tend to poop, pee, barf, and throw up hairballs indoors. Maybe ferrets are best?

Old 04-25-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
This ought to shake things up, but... I begin to wonder if there even IS a place for dogs in our modern society... Look at the facts: except for small, manageable dogs who are content to sit on a lap or sleep all day AND the few working dogs who still have an actual function and job to do, most now are confined to rooms, kennels, crates, or -- at best -- small yards where they spend their days -- and often nights -- alone. Most households are two-income, and at night and on weekends people are eating out or running around to their kids' sporting events or the whole family is staring at some electronic screen -- NOT playing with the dog!

Even as recently as when I was a child, dogs ran free all day (and sometimes all night), socializing with the other neighborhood dogs as is natural for them; they're pack animals and suffer alone. If their kids were busy, there were plenty of other kids always running around outdoors for them to play with. Dogs weren't fat, they weren't getting joint disorders from inactivity, no one had to walk them, they didn't require expensive "science diets," and they certainly weren't so neurotic and anxious as to require Prozac and Thunder Shirts! Forcing a dog to spend its life in isolation or tied to a tether -- without a bark park, they're always on a leash (often tugged along too fast), IF they get a walk, and can never run free. Doesn't sound like much of a life to me!

Then look at the number of owner turn-ins and dogs dumped in shelters -- or just on the side of the road or out in the country. That's if some psychopath doesn't burn them with acid for the Facebook pictures or drag them to death behind cars. Humanity almost can't be trusted with these defenseless animals. I think we're facing a real crisis with dogs as society functions today; there's simply no place for them now. Personally, I'm waiting till retirement to adopt even just one small, sedentary dog, and I should just barely be able to keep up with his actual needs and wants even then. If I do it right, that is.
I agree. That's why I think dog ownership should require a special license, and all dogs should be extensively trained before being released to the public. This way, more people would have manageable dogs and less puppy training heartache. Puppies are honestly like babies and do not have any business with working adults who can't stay home with them or arrange for care. Dog-loving states should have compulsory attendance for obedience school.

Well, think about it. Restaurants and other public places have no issue with allowing a service dog into the establishment, because they know that the animal has been extensively trained to function well in such an environment. A regular old dog would be turned away, because there's no guarantee of what the dog might do in the place of business. The solution would be to train all dogs as certified companion animals so that they would all be on their best behavior and welcome by most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Cats are low-maintenance, but they do tend to poop, pee, barf, and throw up hairballs indoors. Maybe ferrets are best?
I would say a ferret is about as much maintenance as a cat, if not more. Weasels can be aggressive.

Yes, cats do their business in the litter box mostly, but I really don't have much of a problem with the smell. Baking soda eliminates most of the odor, and I usually scoop every day, so I don't really have an issue with it. I have more of a problem having to pick up after a dog. Yes, you can train them to go outdoors, but some people start with paper training then move the dog outdoors. Getting the dog to go on the puppy pad consistently is not that easy. Every time I've tried paper training, I've had to clean up lots of accidents, and I don't think the dog ever really understood what it was supposed to do at all. I would much rather my animal's droppings be confined to one area than all over the house. (Plus, just like with dog paper training, cats can be trained to eliminate in other places once they've learned the litter box. Just put some litter where you want the cat to eliminate, and let it go in that place for a few days. They can go in the box, over a toilet, or outside. If you have a cat that isn't litter box trained, assuming it's healthy; just pick up its droppings, put them in the litter box, lock the cat and the box in a closet, bathroom, or other small room in the house with food and water, and the cat should instinctively return to the smell for future elimination. Keep it in for a week or two to build a consistent habit, and clean the soiled areas with an enzyme eating solution. Some cats also spray to mark their territory, but, again, it's not a big deal, really. Just limit the number of cats you own to prevent the need to mark territory.)

That said, though, a well trained dog definitely has its place in society, but it's the matter of getting it to that point. Since dogs are so much work, cats should take over the cheap cute "pet' arena. Want a dog? Go get a license, take a test, and pass an interview. Want a cat? Go pick one up at the shelter.

Last edited by krmb; 04-25-2015 at 08:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates