Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 05:29 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,327,233 times

Advertisements

The first pet I had was a cat, and I loved her. At first I preferred cats over dogs, but dogs grew on me. The dog we have now really became the brother I never had, even if he often is a little s***. Now, we don't have any cats in the house. (my dad was allergic anyways) A couple ran away, a couple passed away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 10:59 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Does one need to love one and dislike the other? I'm tired of tired Facebook memes that tout the superiority of one over the other.
No,

In fact, I would prefer it if we all loved cats and dogs equally, but as long as there are people in the world who love one and utterly despise the other (to the point of trying to kill it) that will never happen; people's bad attitudes can fuel animosity faster than anything else.

Without the weird attitudes I've encountered, dogs would just be a mildly amusing nuisance of a pet. The dogged "dogs are much better pets than cats, to the point that I don't like the fact that cats exist" attitude some dog owners have is the one I would like to combat by talking at length about the merits of cat ownership. If those people didn't exist, I think I would feel less passionate about our feline friends.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:25 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Entirely predictable, reliable, family friendly... who are smart enough to learn anything and are nearly maintenance-free once trained. No accidents, no drooling, no digging, no general destruction or mayhem. And patient/gentle with kids with a wariness and alerting with strangers.

I am looking for a reliable, useful companion I can count on to do its job and add to the family dynamic in a friendly, involved way. Not some foolio who just eats my food. There has to be a sense of teamwork.

Lol.. kind of sounds like what I might like in a man....

Old 04-27-2015, 02:04 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
No,

In fact, I would prefer it if we all loved cats and dogs equally, but as long as there are people in the world who love one and utterly despise the other (to the point of trying to kill it) that will never happen; people's bad attitudes can fuel animosity faster than anything else.

Without the weird attitudes I've encountered, dogs would just be a mildly amusing nuisance of a pet. The dogged "dogs are much better pets than cats, to the point that I don't like the fact that cats exist" attitude some dog owners have is the one I would like to combat by talking at length about the merits of cat ownership. If those people didn't exist, I think I would feel less passionate about our feline friends.

Same here.
Rabid dog lovers are often cruel to cats.

Not usually the case with us rabid cat lovers, who simply ignore dogs, as a rule. For my part, I could never be cruel to a dog...even if they irritate me more than anything lol.

As long as that cruelty continues, I will remain tuned in to any cat vs dog discussion I run across.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:43 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,050,775 times

Mans best friend, FTW.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post

Mans best friend, FTW.
Thumbs WAY down...
Not true at all...

Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx14ohE6nHs

Old 04-27-2015, 05:51 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
We might end up fighting like...well, you know, over this question, but I thought it belonged here, so why not? Which one is your personal favorite? Where do you stand with the other? Why?

If this doesn't belong here maybe I misunderstood. I didn't want to put it in "pets," because I thought it was a pretty common debate even among people who don't own animals. I've read that if you are a cat person or a dog person , it says a lot about your psychological make up. It may even be a deciding factor in how you treat people, interact with peers, and view the world.
My cat is my soulmate so I'm going to have to choose cats! I'm sure dogs are great too though. I really wanted a cocker spaniel or bichon frise when I was a child, but my dad was anti-pets. I adopted my cat when I was in my 20s and we've been happy ever since!

Old 04-27-2015, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post

Mans best friend, FTW.
On a slightly unrelated note, do you think the televangelists and extreme moral conservatives are to blame for the extreme cat hatred? Do you notice that the killings mostly take place in Southern states? I, seriously, heard someone on television preach a sermon with that meme (the one you posted) a few years back. I think that's an ironic reflection of how closed-minded people are. They think they stand for what is good and right while trampling the rights of other people, because they can't see past their own idea of what is "good" and "correct." I'll repeat it again. Cats aren't evil. Introverts aren't villains. Cat lovers aren't irresponsible pet owners or too stupid to see the merits of other pet options, (and we aren't all liberals and leftists, either) We know what we like and why we like it. If you, whoever you are in the media, would spend less time on mud slinging and actually getting to know the world around you, you might just be able to fulfil some of your goal of making it a better place, if that even is your goal. I doubt it based on what I've seen. Why would you, for instance dear religious person, want to alienate people who don't think like you, including other religious people? I think that's a good summary of what's wrong with the world today. People spend more time barking and less time contemplating.

This nation, just like the dog it adores, sees things in black and white. Some things are "good" and others are "bad," even though in most cases these titles are arbitrary. People assume that others are bad based on what they were raised to see as right and proper, not regarding the fact that everyone did not have that upbringing. What can I say? You should always try to get to know a person, or animal, before judging. I'm so sick of hearing and seeing people pass judgment on others who deserve it no less than the person sitting in the judge's chair. Get to know your fellow man. Don't you know that closed-mindedness is what brings about abuse? Don't you know that prejudice is one element that fueled the great wars in history? I hope you don't apply to people, rabid dog lover, the same attitude you have applied to animals. If you can ascribe evil to an innocent animal, you can condemn without just cause a man or woman who disagrees with you.

Last edited by krmb; 04-27-2015 at 06:27 AM..

Old 04-27-2015, 06:10 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I also think if you expect your cat to be more aloof, your cat will be more aloof. My cats aren't aloof or independent at all. Several of them are cuddlers, loving to be held for hours at a time. I encourage it, and accommodate it. The rest of the crowd pick their spots, but come to us for daily love-em-up sessions.

And I just love the sound of purring....
Same with my cat. She greets me at the door when I come home. She follows me from room to room and as soon as I sit down, she curls up in my lap and has a nice, long nap. I never feel ignored or snubbed by her. The only time that she was hiding and wanting to be alone was when she was sick, but luckily she's better now and back to her loving, affectionate self!

Old 04-27-2015, 06:33 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,050,775 times
Quote:
Thumbs WAY down...
Not true at all...

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx14ohE6nHs
First thing the cat did was show him it's arsehole and walk away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates