Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 08:52 PM

56 posts, read 62,877 times

Advertisements

my black cat is currently sitting partly on my arm and on my lap top. I am trying really hard to type without bothering him. I'm sure he is going to stay in this position for the next 20 minutes just licking himself.

I have two cats and one dog and I have say that I love both. I love playing around with my dog, going for long hikes or bike rides. I catch myself talking to my dog a lot. I also love lying down on my bed to have my cats come up lay down on or next to me. When I see my cats walk around my house or just lying there its really calming for me, idk, just is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 09:06 PM

51 posts, read 73,980 times
I love all animals so I'm your typical "animal lover". Growing up and into my 20s, we always had dogs. After I divorced (in my 30s), my son and I got two cats - brothers. We had them since they were six weeks, and they're nine years old now. After having both, I must say that I'm definitely a cat person. I absolutely love dogs. But my personality (introverted, independent, mysterious, calm) is more cat-like. They suit me better. Dogs are lovely but they require constant attention in one way or another. Sometimes it's nice to walk into a room and get a look that says, "what the hell are you doing here" rather than rushed with a wet, hyper bear hug.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:13 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireKitty View Post
I love all animals so I'm your typical "animal lover". Growing up and into my 20s, we always had dogs. After I divorced (in my 30s), my son and I got two cats - brothers. We had them since they were six weeks, and they're nine years old now. After having both, I must say that I'm definitely a cat person. I absolutely love dogs. But my personality (introverted, independent, mysterious, calm) is more cat-like. They suit me better. Dogs are lovely but they require constant attention in one way or another. Sometimes it's nice to walk into a room and get a look that says, "what the hell are you doing here" rather than rushed with a wet, hyper bear hug.
I agree with you there. I almost wish domesticated cats came in super-sized versions.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:38 AM

20 posts, read 21,051 times
I love animals, so I equally love both cats and dogs! I grew up with both pets, and each of them have different personalities and both are very lovable.

However, we prefer cats because of our busy lifestyle..dogs are like toddlers since you can't really leave them alone at home for a very long time, whereas cats are independent and can just sleep for hours when we're not home, then they just cuddle/play when you're at home, and can just go to their own bathroom when nature calls. If I have a choice or more like if I have the luxury to be able to work from home, I would like to have both cats and dogs in my home, the more the merrier!

Also i have a soft spot for cats because it seems a lot more socially acceptable to dislike cats more than dogs, so I am more compassionate and understanding towards the cats - which are the 'underdog'.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:57 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
^^^^^ I am just like you. I have had some wonderful dogs over the years, most notably a German Shepard and a Doberman.........they were friendly, loyal pets that we loved like members of the family. But dogs take a lot of time and attention that I can not give right now. I work 5 days a week and live in an apartment, so cats fit my lifestyle so much better today.

I see my neighbors out at all hours, in the rain and sun, having to walk their dogs, but cats just need a few litter boxes, some food, water, and they will mostly take care of themselves. Oh sure, they want to sit on my lap and be petted a lot, but that is when they honor you with their presence.

But the greatest part about cats or dogs is that they keep us laughing. Every day our 3 cats do something that is outrageous and you just have to laugh out loud. They KNOW they are being funny and have a great sense of humor. How could I not love these guys ????

Don

Old 05-04-2015, 08:48 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times
Oh, yes, they can certainly keep us laughing. I used to have a cat that chased my mom's Shih-Tzu. That was cute.

For some reason, though, I just can't bond with dogs like I can cats. Has anyone else had this experience (with any animal)? Dogs send a lot of signals, but they can't really tell me when they're frustrated, unless it's serious, because most of their signals seem redundant, repetitive, and melodramatic. ( What's the point of that?) That might be another issue with me and dogs; they just aren't "calm" enough.

Last edited by krmb; 05-04-2015 at 09:02 AM..

Old 05-04-2015, 09:51 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Oh, yes, they can certainly keep us laughing. I used to have a cat that chased my mom's Shih-Tzu. That was cute.

For some reason, though, I just can't bond with dogs like I can cats. Has anyone else had this experience (with any animal)? Dogs send a lot of signals, but they can't really tell me when they're frustrated, unless it's serious, because most of their signals seem redundant, repetitive, and melodramatic. ( What's the point of that?) That might be another issue with me and dogs; they just aren't "calm" enough.
I don't bond well with dogs either. Plus, the bigger dogs scare me thanks to having had bad experiences with them as a younger person.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:08 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
I'm an animal lover but I prefer cats. Much lower maintenance. You don't have to find a babysitter for them for a quick getaway trip

Old 05-04-2015, 11:13 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
However, they don't travel well on LONG getaway trips; what do all of you cat owners do when you go away for two weeks or a month (or longer)? I plan to eventually transition to a single small dog that can travel WITH me. Cats hate traveling and most hotels won't take.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:23 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
However, they don't travel well on LONG getaway trips; what do all of you cat owners do when you go away for two weeks or a month (or longer)? I plan to eventually transition to a single small dog that can travel WITH me. Cats hate traveling and most hotels won't take.

I don't do long trips like that so it wouldn't matter but if I did I'd book a cat hotel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates