Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 08:40 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I don't see where people can claim they don't get along together. I have a picture of two dogs asleep on the large chair with three cats cuddled between or laying on top of them. Gumby likes to give his kitties kisses and they'll sit there and groom him. I'm not sure either of them know they are two species.
I often wonder how that happens that they do get along. Do they play in "dog" or "cat" manner?

Surely they most know that they make different noises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 06:52 AM

352 posts, read 285,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
I agree about the double standard, but the upside is that cats kept indoors are SAFE from other animals, cars, and most of all....psycho humans who'd see fit to harm them.

Recently I just saw an advert for a "cat-proof" fence that supposedly allows cats to have the advantages of enjoying the outdoors whilst remaining safely enclosed in their own yard.

Looks like this:
We have a large cat enclosure for ours that we made from fencing and boards. If at all possible I recommend making one for your cats. You will probably surprise yourself at how functional and attractive you can make one for your pets. I wouldn't completely trust an enclosure that's why we bring our pets in at night or while we aren't home.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:21 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I often wonder how that happens that they do get along. Do they play in "dog" or "cat" manner?

Surely they most know that they make different noises.
I've always had dogs and cats together. They have ALWAYS all gotten along. The cats have always been dominate over the dogs. They cuddle together, groom each other, sample each other's food while the others are eating. The cats will chase the dog's tail. If the dog gets too slobbery while licking the cats, they will both authoritatively put their paws on the dog's head to keep him back.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:46 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Dogs get along great with each other, and a dog and a cat will get along great with each other, but two cats will compete with each other. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

And "not affectionate"? I just posted elsewhere about my way-too-affectionate cat... :P

Old 05-17-2015, 08:18 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
I love them both.

But I will take the highly-arrogant, hateful, less-needy and mildly-psychotic species that isn't apt to eat its own waste.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:47 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Dogs get along great with each other, and a dog and a cat will get along great with each other, but two cats will compete with each other. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

And "not affectionate"? I just posted elsewhere about my way-too-affectionate cat... :P
I've got 2 cats and a dog. All 3 get along very well. The 2 cats sleep together a lot and always groom each other. They are both females...one is about 19 years old and the other is about 3 years old. The older cat will groom the dog. The dog will lick both cats. When I feed the dog, all 3 sit by his bowl, with the 2 cats watching him eat. The dog would like to be near the cats when they get fed as well; however, he does more than watch - he eats!

In the winter when it's colder, I will be sitting on the couch with 2 cats vying for lap space and a dog trying to place himself nearby. He usually ends up on my feet. Makes getting up or moving darn near impossible. But I am very warm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates