Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 05:04 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I don't do long trips like that so it wouldn't matter but if I did I'd book a cat hotel
They do get annoyed really easily. I would suggest leaving the cats with a friend or at a cat kennel. If you're going to be gone for a long time, just take the cats with you and let them adjust to the new surroundings. It will take time, but they can adjust. They're creatures of routine and familiarity. Try to stay stable as much as possible, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 01:08 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
They do get annoyed really easily. I would suggest leaving the cats with a friend or at a cat kennel. If you're going to be gone for a long time, just take the cats with you and let them adjust to the new surroundings. It will take time, but they can adjust. They're creatures of routine and familiarity. Try to stay stable as much as possible, though.
Why I'm buying an RV, which will be their new home (will be full-timing it). In general, if you're going to travel, a dog is best (either to go with or to be happier boarded); cats are best if you're just staying home except for the odd night or two away. Actually, NO pet is best if you plan to travel, but who can do that???

Old 05-06-2015, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Why I'm buying an RV, which will be their new home (will be full-timing it). In general, if you're going to travel, a dog is best (either to go with or to be happier boarded); cats are best if you're just staying home except for the odd night or two away. Actually, NO pet is best if you plan to travel, but who can do that???
Well,

I Googled it, and it turns out that some people do take their cats camping, full-time. The RV becomes the cats' small home, with all of the familiar smells and comforts. I, personally, am a space lover, so I don't know how any person or animal could be content just living in a small space like an RV, so I think you would need to at least train your cat to a leash so that you could take her walking to explore the RV parks that you travel to, but not everyone does that (you may want to do some reading on this subject. My thinking is that cats need a lot of territory to explore, but they're also most comfortable with familiar surroundings, so you might want to let your cat guide you on this one.)

Anyway, according to what I found, the RV kind of becomes "home" for your cat, especially if she's an indoor cat. There are ways to do it. I would read up on it, first. Cats can travel; they just don't like to, but everything can adjust.

How to take your next RV Trip with Your Indoor versus Outdoor Cats

Introducing Your Cat to RV Travel | Take Paws

5 Tips For RVing & Camping With Cats

Most of the articles I've found say that you should cat-proof your RV, let the cats choose spaces in the RV to make home, and secure the cats when moving (sometimes that means just letting them find safe hiding places before taking off.)

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I think I would do some research and try traveling with the cats, but you do have to be careful with them and be much more vigilant. A friendly, well-trained cat will come when called (if she's not too busy), but she will also want to explore and may feel some anxiety when traveling. (Since I'm afraid of letting my pets out, if I were traveling with them, I would probably also get some sort of panel that closes the "cat rooms" off from the main entrance and exit. Since RVs are smaller spaces, it seems reasonable that the cats could easily escape if they had access to the exit / entrance unsupervised. Depending on the cat, that might mean you would have to spend a few hours searching for your feline friend.)

Last edited by krmb; 05-06-2015 at 02:56 AM..

Old 05-08-2015, 04:28 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Just to debate on the side of cats being creatures of habit, yes they are but they can get used to new surroundings when they must. Here is a true story about a "sea" cat.

Friends of mine lived on a houseboat. They got Salty when he was a tiny kitten. Salty grew up on the houseboat and his paws never touched land. He went on little excursions with his humans in their outboard motor boat all up and down the river where their houseboat was moored and beyond.

When Salty was about six years old his humans had a baby. They decided to sell the houseboat and buy a house on land. Salty didn't know what to do with grass under his feet. He swayed and stumbled like a drunken sailor. So they put planks down in the backyard for him to walk on. Salty had sea legs but no land legs. Eventually though he did get used to becoming a land lubber.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:48 AM

352 posts, read 285,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
When was the last time you were welcomed home from work by a cat's wagging tail or happy barks?
You must be kidding right? My cats welcome me home, by greeting me at the door, a couple sit in the window waiting for me. My neighbor said one day when I left one of my cats was sitting in the window meowing so she came over and talked to her for awhile. They are very cool pets and they interact with me just as my dogs did. I loved my dogs, but I have a unrelenting need to try and protect all cats and I love them more. They are misunderstood with false and outright stupid "facts" thrown around about them and their behavior. Anyone that loves cats as I do knows what I am talking about.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:51 AM

352 posts, read 285,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Just to debate on the side of cats being creatures of habit, yes they are but they can get used to new surroundings when they must. Here is a true story about a "sea" cat.

Friends of mine lived on a houseboat. They got Salty when he was a tiny kitten. Salty grew up on the houseboat and his paws never touched land. He went on little excursions with his humans in their outboard motor boat all up and down the river where their houseboat was moored and beyond.

When Salty was about six years old his humans had a baby. They decided to sell the houseboat and buy a house on land. Salty didn't know what to do with grass under his feet. He swayed and stumbled like a drunken sailor. So they put planks down in the backyard for him to walk on. Salty had sea legs but no land legs. Eventually though he did get used to becoming a land lubber.

Loved that story about your friends houseboat cat Minervah!

Old 05-09-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senecat View Post
You must be kidding right? My cats welcome me home, by greeting me at the door, a couple sit in the window waiting for me. My neighbor said one day when I left one of my cats was sitting in the window meowing so she came over and talked to her for awhile. They are very cool pets and they interact with me just as my dogs did. I loved my dogs, but I have a unrelenting need to try and protect all cats and I love them more. They are misunderstood with false and outright stupid "facts" thrown around about them and their behavior. Anyone that loves cats as I do knows what I am talking about.
What you have said is absolutely true. Conventional pet lovers can be downright hostile when it comes to cats. There's so much misinformation, and people get so offended when you try to get one to see through the other's eyes. If you say you don't like cats, people might be mildly annoyed, but say you don't like dogs, and you must be a horrible person, because there is not better explanation (except maybe you are too busy, had a bad experience with a vicious dog, had a loved one with a bad experience with a vicious dog, know some dog psychology facts, could not train your dog, etc. )

Old 05-09-2015, 01:36 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Cats and dogs are both good,......................... if you use enough ketchup.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:06 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecat View Post
I may have mentioned this a few posts back but me too. I had a cat who was always waiting in the window for me when I got home from work. Another cat many years later in a different place had outside access would wait outside on an ornamental brick pedestal for me to arrive home from work.

In the second case, neighbors who were home all day said the cat would come out of the apartment at the same time and position herself there waiting for me.

I know people whose cats recognized the sound of their cars' engine and would run to the door or window to watch for them to come into the house. My present kitty usually is at the door the minute she hears the key in the lock.

I don't expect her to be though, she has a right to her own life. I wouldn't want to interrupt her important business.

For those who think cats are aloof and unresponsive, I always think that's because they are probably not deserving of the cat's attention to begin with.

Old 05-10-2015, 03:25 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
I have both. My dogs are in part new experiences. All the others were medium to small. Gumby came as a little mixed pup, but turned into a tall shepard mix. I discovered I really wasn't scared of big dogs. He usually takes the end of the bed so he can sleep on his back with his feet in the air. Then there is Pokey, who is a bit over six months, and was rescued from a parking lot in the process of being abandoned. She gets to share the bed if she behaves. Otherwise she sleeps in her crate. She's Belgium Shepard mixed with a smaller dog.

And I have a little troop of cats too. A few are really small, but full grown. They cuddle next to me at night. One's part maine coon. But my dogs love their kitties and give them kisses and the kitties rub back and groom them. I call all of them dats.

Velcro, a small black cat, was rescued from under the house when she was tiny. I raised her and discovered she was a he. 'she' got renamed velcro since I sit down 'she' is stuck like glue.

I don't see where people can claim they don't get along together. I have a picture of two dogs asleep on the large chair with three cats cuddled between or laying on top of them. Gumby likes to give his kitties kisses and they'll sit there and groom him. I'm not sure either of them know they are two species.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates