Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 06:32 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,385,476 times

Advertisements

I prefer dogs. I miss mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 07:49 PM

269 posts, read 371,039 times
Am a cat person and had one when growing up but do not have one now and won't ever have for various reasons.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:52 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I love both but have two cats since my work life isn't conducive to dogs (being gone all day). I wish more would recognize that difference as it's unfair to insist a dog stay home and hold going to the bathroom for 8-9 hours. Try it yourself sometime and see how that goes...
I have both cats and a dog. The dog is home alone about 8-9 hours each day. When I get home, I take him outside, and it can be 10-15 minutes of me saying "go potty!" before he finally goes. Clearly, he is not floating away.

As far as "trying it myself", there are days where I do not go to the bathroom at work - no time and I don't have to. I'm not floating away either.

My dog does make up for not peeing all day on his walks*, though. There he would dribble a little pee on whatever every 5 minutes or so to mark it all up if I let him stop that often.

*walks = several miles each day.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:02 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I have both cats and a dog. The dog is home alone about 8-9 hours each day. When I get home, I take him outside, and it can be 10-15 minutes of me saying "go potty!" before he finally goes. Clearly, he is not floating away.

As far as "trying it myself", there are days where I do not go to the bathroom at work - no time and I don't have to. I'm not floating away either.

My dog does make up for not peeing all day on his walks*, though. There he would dribble a little pee on whatever every 5 minutes or so to mark it all up if I let him stop that often.

*walks = several miles each day.
We are cat people. We just understand them. My sister has a dog that is a treasure, though -- and he knew he had me buffalo'ed right off.

I promised him a nice long walk before I went home. He was 16 at the time. At a 1/4 mile he was ready to come home -- but he was still managing to wee and wee and wee....and wee.

My sister says he sleeps most of the time now, but he's 18.... which is old by dog standards....

Old 04-19-2015, 12:50 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,672,370 times
I LOVE Both. What does that say? I prefer the general characteristics of dogs overall (and go nuts when I see one), but in apartments, cats may be all that are allowed. So, I first began having the Cat experience when not expecting to .. and several years in and having had other cats, has been enjoyable for me and glad for it. I feel badly that some may have a negative impression of them, based upon an experience or preconceived ideas, but found that kitties all have their own personalities, not being one stereotypical definition, and yes, can be a bit "easier".

I am grateful to the female neighbors long ago, who first introduced me (or should I say tricked me..haha) into seeing their litter... and after having much discussion and consideration, adopted my first, sweet kitten, who had already been "socialized".

I don't think people should be classisfied as either / or, especially since someone like myself is an overall animal-lover. 🐱 🐶

Old 04-19-2015, 02:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,013 times
My wife and our four kids were thinking about a pet and started looking at pet stores for what we wanted. The next few months when I was leaving my part-time job at night. An announcement came over the p.a. system that a (new born) pet was found in the parking lot. Out of curiosity I went to see what was going on. After two hours no one claimed the pet. A couple of the people holding the pet new I was in the market for a pet. They suggested I take the pet and gave me advice on what to do and not to do as an owner. I took the pet home and called my wife in advance and stated I was bringing a surprise home. When I got home the kids and her were waiting near the front door. I hid the pet in my zip up winter coat and walked in the house and they replied "whats the surprise?" I stood there just looking at them and slowly they noticed something was moving in my coat. My wife said " oh my goodness what have you done?" My kids motionless and staring at every movement of my coat. I then zipped down my coat a third of the way and the movement stopped. A few seconds later a head popped out and my family was so happy! The pet is a female, we named her the season we found her, the place I work and she carries our last name. The post and comments I've read are very true in the difference in a dog or cat. I made the decision to keep this pet first to help her out, then our need and the opportunity and timing was perfect. We weren't sure if we wanted a dog or cat and now four years later what we accepted into our lives has been perfect. It's almost like a divine placing of this pet into our home and lives. Last, when my friends educated me on the do's and don'ts, they mentioned the first couple of days to sleep with or near the pet for her comfort and adjusting. I ended up sleeping in the basement with the pet for two weeks! Since then and now I'm the mother and when ever I come home she follows me everywhere! lol

Old 04-19-2015, 05:33 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
I've had one cat and a few dogs. I'll take my non-shedding dog over a cat any day. My pooches are small and easy to take along on trips, camping, etc. Cats are a howling nightmare on car rides.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:07 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times
None.

I'd rather have a goat or a pig.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:07 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
I love them both, but ultimately choose cats as they are not as high-maintenance. Don't have to walk them and they are generally cleaner than dogs.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:24 AM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
We've enjoyed having both, but either one has its disadvantages.
I like that cats can be left alone for a few days, and don't seem to mind, but would be miserable being boarded, so longer trips were a problem. I like that I can take a dog with me or board them.
I don't enjoy cleaning a litter box all the time, or having to leave the door open so they can get to it. I've also never had a cat who didn't have accidents from time to time. My last one decided he liked to pee in laundry baskets full of clean clothes.
I won't have another cat, but I'm thinking of getting a medium sized dog, if I can talk my DH into it. We miss having an animal but not sure we want to be tied down again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates