Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 05:32 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,959,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
That is your right Clark Park. God gave us the power to decide our own fate. If you are right and
my belief is irrelevant and nonsensical I haven't lost anything in my belief. However if I am right in my
belief and you are wrong who is the big loser?

Might I suggest you pick up a copy of the Bible and read it? Whether you believe what it says or not is
up to you but there are some very interesting stories in it and insightful ways of looking at things.
You bring up a very important and historical philosophical point ... there is even a name for it:

PASCAL'S WAGER

Pascal was a 17rh Century French philosopher who posed this very profound question.

Not only have I the read the Bible, but I participated in Biblical archeology near the Old City of Jerusalem in an archeological excavation sponsored by Hebrew University under the direction of Professor Yigael Shiloh. However, I still recognize historic and scientific truth in all it's majesty, splendor and glory. The Bible was written by men - as lovely as some of the poetry in it is - and it is full of inaccuracies and mythological legend.

I don't believe in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny either.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:08 AM

381 posts, read 278,026 times
[quote=okie1962;40547680]
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post

Woof! Which one is you!?
I'm taking the picture.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:27 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,878,806 times
Gay rights is fulfillment of prophecy as a nation falls from God it becomes decedant, perverse, lawless, anti-covenant, the complacant church becomes lukewarm ( to be spewn into Tribulation) , gay as in Sodom is a no brainer mimmic of how we are to end our lives prematurely by judgment . Love is not Gods issue sexual relations is huge in His push back. His push back is terrifying knuckleheads aka
Liberals!

Old 07-25-2015, 04:48 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,534,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
You know, you do see a lot less uproar over this where the issue was voted in legislatively (Iowa, Massachussetts, and a dozen or so other states), than you do where a judge magically read something into the Constitution that was never there and banged his gavel.

The Rule of Law is better than the Rule of The Anus, or the Rule of Judicial Whims.
I'm sorry Nicky, your responses sound a tad bitter

Old 07-25-2015, 05:08 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,534,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I'm old enough to remember Anita Bryant vividly. When I left my small town to go to college, I didn't think I even knew any people who were homosexual (I don't think I had ever heard the term "gay.") But I went to college in an urban area and it wasn't long before I met fellow students who were gay or lesbian. Most of them weren't even out to their families but it's hard to keep secrets like that in a dorm.

I think the thing that really facilitated the gay rights movement was AIDS. Suddenly it was not in gay people's interest to remain closeted. They were fighting for their lives, literally. Here were so many young gay men DYING when they had barely lived. It was such a tragedy and I think it became rather obvious that they would get help faster if the public knew just how many people who were at risk or already infected were some of the most accomplished people in our society.

It's one thing to be prejudiced against the great unknown. But it's a lot harder to put negative labels on people you deal with regularly, family members, or just people you know and like. Kids aren't born hating people because of their color, or their family's religion or ethnicity, or someone's sexual orientation. It isn't natural to be EX-clusive. As our world is constantly made smaller by modern technology and improved communications, we see a lot fewer people like Anita Bryant. The ones who are out there being hateful and loud still clamor for attention.

But in reality, fewer things that used to be considered unusual are even commented on. Did you know that two years ago both Rep. John Boehner's daughter and Sen. John McCain's son both married spouses who were another race? I didn't hear that until just the other day. I guess no one I knew found it necessary to comment on that. Which is great IMHO. I don't think people would care if their kids were gay or lesbian either. That's progress.
Could not agree more - as someone who came out in the late 1970s, people's reactions to AIDS galvinized me and most gay people I knew in the 1980s. Being the object of scorn, blame, disgust, and IGNORED by the Reagan administration while caring for countless friends who died slow agonizing deaths enraged and empowered so many of us. Now well into my 50's, AIDs will always be the pivotal event in my world view that challenged me to take action for all of my friends who succumbed to that horror. We had few straight allies in those early years so I believe that alone was turning point for so many to replace self loathing with pride and defiance against a society that many of us viewed as demonizing us. To this day many of my heroes were men who, dying from that disease, pounded the doors of their Congress, handcuffed themselves to the doors of political offices and demanded action. And to those straight doctors, nuns, nurses, and others who risked their lives and livelihoods to do what was right, I will never forget.

To the "haters" who still blame a virus on gay men and threaten gays with takeover by terrorist Islamists, you are delusional. Gay people are not weak or afraid. They survive years of hate and fight back. Luckily more people recognize the value of their gay brothers and sisters. Welcome to being a minority.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:07 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,959,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post

To the "haters" who still blame a virus on gay men and threaten gays with takeover by terrorist Islamists, you are delusional. Gay people are not weak or afraid. They survive years of hate and fight back. Luckily more people recognize the value of their gay brothers and sisters. Welcome to being a minority.
Lately the story of a valiant gay Dutch hero has gone viral in Facebook and on the internet.

Willem Arondeus, a talented young artist whose works hang in some museums and was commissioned to paint murals in the Rotterdam City Hall as well as illustrate some books, was a leader of the anti-Nazi Dutch Resistance. He realized he was gay at an early age and found living with his "religious" parents uncomfortable, and moved to Amsterdam. After the Nazi Germans invaded the Netherlands Arondeus conceived a complicated plot to bomb the offices of the German SS that held all the documents identifying the Jews of the Netherlands. The strike was successful and because of it time was bought for hundreds of Dutch Jews to escape the clutches of the SS.

Unfortunately, Willem Arondeus was betrayed by someone and arrested by the Nazis. Just before he was executed, his last statement was "Let it be known homosexuals are not cowards."

Arondeus has monuments memorializing his heroism in both the Netherlands and in Israel.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:26 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,878,806 times
The hate card is baloney it isn't about hate except for a few idiots in society. Our church welcomes gays ( should they be gay we don't go around shaking gays down). We don't even care as the service is already a complexity without screening gays for Gods sake. Again THE HATE CARD by gays is ludicrous and just a distraction by gay spin doctors booo hoooooing. . Love between two same sex adults is a great thing as without charity (love) we have nothing ,but once you cross the line and sex is complicit in spitting on Gods covenants which gays ignore blatantly then you threaten my future ,my life and my families security as God will crush society including everyone collaterally in the path of judgment! His so-called vail of protection will be lifted you can count on it.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:14 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,255,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
The hate card is baloney it isn't about hate except for a few idiots in society. Our church welcomes gays ( should they be gay we don't go around shaking gays down). We don't even care as the service is already a complexity without screening gays for Gods sake. Again THE HATE CARD by gays is ludicrous and just a distraction by gay spin doctors booo hoooooing. . Love between two same sex adults is a great thing as without charity (love) we have nothing ,but once you cross the line and sex is complicit in spitting on Gods covenants which gays ignore blatantly then you threaten my future ,my life and my families security as God will crush society including everyone collaterally in the path of judgment! His so-called vail of protection will be lifted you can count on it.
So that explains why Canada is laying in ruins!

Old 07-27-2015, 12:12 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,977,057 times
Quote:
wow, this is terrible.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:40 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,445,842 times
Quote:
I thought all you fundies wanted the end times so Jesus could come back and put the earth under new management?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates