Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2015, 08:30 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
There are roughly 120,000,000 people that live in the south. That is more than 1/3 the population of the US. It is kind of a stupid question to ask. Furthermore, it was the secession of the south that started the civil war that got us the stupid flag to begin with. It is also about a third of the land mass of the continental US (not including Alaska).

Not. Gonna. Happen. Ever.
Is this the eternal empire?

Old 07-24-2015, 08:51 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,965,446 times
A beautiful response to an ugly reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Here, in a nutshell, someone has spouted all the mean stereotypes and generalizations of Southerners and rural conservatives, those people that our President said were "clinging to their guns and religion..."

This thread in many ways is typical of the dysfunction and disunity plaguing our entire country: complete intolerance of "the other side", abandonment of religion among academic and urban populations resulting in contempt for the remaining religious population, etc.

It would be easy to say: no, you leave, and don't let the door hit you on the way out. But in reality, we have to try to reconcile our differences and get along. It used to be a given (after 1865, at least) that we were one country, not always in agreement, not always liking each other, but still we're all Americans.

Now I wonder if that sense of nationality has finally disappeared. Maybe it was an artificial thing, forged in the two great World Wars and the shared suffering of the Depression.

It seems people today, ever since the so-called liberation of the 1960s, stick to their narrow self-interests, their narrow little beliefs, and are completely intolerant of disagreement. The closing of the American mind, indeed.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:26 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
I have yet to hear a candidate for the Republican nomination suggesting succession. Since a good number of these people are fringe-element lunatics, I really don't think there's much interest in doing this among the general population.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:33 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post

Why would they? What purpose would it serve? The south as a whole is too poorly educated and doesn't make enough money to support itself, and like the lazy cousin of a well-to-do family, requires the financial assistance of the North to feed itself and keep from living under a bridge. Cutting itself off from the family that sends it the rent check every month would be suicide, and even most southerners are smart enough to understand that.

yip we is to stupd to find for us selfs

thnx yankis

Old 07-24-2015, 10:53 AM

110 posts, read 175,333 times
I for one love Southerners and Southern culture. If they want to wave their damn battle flag, fine go ahead, as long as their allegiance is to the US at the end of the day. I don't think anyone would really support it. With Hispanics, Northerners, and blacks from other regions flowing into the South by the millions, white Southerners with an extremist secession attitude are most likely a tiny minority these days anyway.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:35 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Obama should declare war on the South and invade Ft. Sumter, take it back, and then fight to kick the South out of the USA to right the wrongs of Lincoln in 1861.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:48 PM

381 posts, read 277,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think they should be two different countries. Its obvious the value systems are significantly different. I think they are basically incompatible, no one is happy with anyone or anything.
Another "what if" to add to the pot.If the south wanted to secede again what states do you think would NOT want to secede this time.I would definitely say texas.Never thought of texas being southern. Obviously western.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:58 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,391,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
Never thought of texas being southern. Obviously western.
Though all parts of Texas have a southeren influence, southeren culture in "deep east Texas" (the eastern fifth of Texas) is extremely strong. As Texas is well, as big as Texas, "deep east Texas" is as large as many of the southeren states such as Alabama.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:55 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
I don't want the south to secede but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if the north went away .. maybe become part of Canada ...
I believe we northerners would make out better allying with the Canadians, as would the Canadians.

Just saying.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:28 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I have yet to hear a candidate for the Republican nomination suggesting succession. Since a good number of these people are fringe-element lunatics, I really don't think there's much interest in doing this among the general population.
Google Perry and secession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.